PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum weight loss secrets

swissair81
09-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Anyone have any they want to share? It takes me a long time to lose baby weight. Exercise is not currently an option for me, because I am having pelvic problems again, and I can barely walk (let alone exercise). With DD3, I was within 10 lbs of my pre children weight by the time she was 16 months (about 2 weeks before I discovered I was pregnant again). I really want to try and lose it faster this time.

megv
09-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I wish I had a secret! Always takes me forever too. I'm hoping that will be quicker this time around but I'm not optomistic.

marymoo86
09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing that BF'ing doesn't make it magically come off??

Removing wheat/gluten out of my diet has helped me lost a few pounds that had crept back once DD slowed down her nursings. Perhaps modifying diet as your exercise is limited?

rin
09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't have a secret; DD1 was about 14 months before I was back to pre-pregnancy weight, and DD2 is almost 3 months now and I'm still 10 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight (which is exactly how much I was about 2 weeks after she was born). I suspect that for me quitting/reducing breastfeeding is the secret, since nursing just makes me ravenous. I guess I'm ok with that, though . . .

citymama
09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Girl, you just had a baby. Eat some more peanut butter and lay in bed as long as you can and DO NOT think about weight loss right now!

My "secret" was breastfeeding, no doubt about it. Pretty miraculous stuff. The best part is it's just what I needed to do to keep the baby healthy!

mommylamb
09-11-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the secret is not eating the chocolate bar I just finished.

SkyrMommy
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
:bag I never lost all the weight with DD, partly I blame going back on the mini pill & then the regular pill... I always gain/keep weight on when I'm taking them. I was down to 10 lbs. above my pre pregnancy weight when we started trying for DS, I went back up to almost the same top weight I hit with DD and am down a bit.

This time there won't be any pill side effects to worry about, so I'm hoping cutting down my sugar intake & cheese (my big pregnancy cravings) and breast feeding will help this time around. I'm waiting for my follow up for an ok to exercise more, I miss yoga & hiking. I'm trying to be good and keep in mind that DS is just a month old, but it's so hard when I really want to be active.

OP, sending you many healing vibes... :hug:

mctlaw
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
No secrets per se aside from breastfeeding, but just wanted to send commiseration - I had similar problems during pg, exacerbated it during the birth, and could not walk at all for several days following the birth. I had to get PT to walk, basically. :hug::hug: I can now walk ok but still "feel" it 14 weeks later, so I just hired a personal trainer forjust a few sessions. She specializes in postpartum women and I hired her to show me how to work out without injuring myself. If she lets me in on any secrets, I'll let ya know.

swissair81
09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I couldn't walk or turn over in bed or sit up or pretty much anything for a good 10 days post birth. I still feel like I walk like a duck, but with somewhat less pain. I know my OB will shuttle me off to the same Women's Health PT who put me back together post birth last time, but they don't want to see you until 8 weeks pp and even then I was on strict orders not to exercise for close to 6 months. The only thing I was allowed to do was exercises in the pool and even then- only once a week and only under supervision at my therapy place.

swissair81
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Girl, you just had a baby. Eat some more peanut butter and lay in bed as long as you can and DO NOT think about weight loss right now!

Awww. You're so sweet.

I'm pretty sure the secret is not eating the chocolate bar I just finished.

Chocolate is currently banned from my house. I have the world's biggest sweet tooth. I've been buying dried pineapple, nuts, natural applesauce and NO COOKIES for the kids to snack on. Unfortunately, the kidlets will have to suffer because their mother has zero self control.

Katigre
09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
First, not gaining too much weight while pregnant
Second, make sure not to overindulge in foods that pack on empty calories - you will get more 'bang for your buck' eating carrot sticks with guacamole (staying full longer) than if you eat a whole sleeve of graham crackers which are refined grains/sugars.
Third, Make sure you're getting a good balance of nutrients in your diet and stay away from junk (if you want to indulge, get REALLY dark chocolate - like 85% dark chocolate - b/c you can't eat tons of it, it's too rich and filling.

lmh2402
09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
crazy levels of stress and an elimination diet

seriously. i am at per-pregnancy weight and have been since between five and six weeks PP.

HOWEVER, this was not the case after DS...well, i was stressed, but not like this. and i modified my diet, but not like this

and let me tell you...i would much rather be 15 pounds over my PP weight and not miserable, psycho, and starving.

so my advice is be nice to yourself. eat some peanut butter. un-ban chocolate every once in a while. eat as balanced as you can, but generally don't stress food if you don't have to. enjoy and you'll have plenty of time to work on the weight once the baby is older.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
wish i knew. I suck at post-partum weight loss, despite not gaining much during pregnancy (I only gained 30 lbs when pregnant with DS, 20 lbs when pregnant with DD) and exclusive breastfeeding. i lose absolutely nothing until baby is about 8 months old and is nursing less so i didn't have to eat as much, and my boobs aren't as huge. Going gluten-free also helped me...i lost 10 lbs just from going GF. NOt sure if was not eaten gluten or just not being able to eat breads or any sort of fast food.I started a Couchto5k program 2 months ago and go jogging 2-3x a week. however, i'm probably not the one to ask.. despite all this, my youngest is 18 months and i still have about 8-10 lbs to go. :(

anyway, just wanna say i feel your pain..seriously, nothing is more infuriating than seeing other mamas who gorged themselves with sweets and gained ~70 lbs during their pregnancy and then 3mos post partum, they're all walking around in a halter top, all the extra weight gone, saying "oh yeah, all i had to was nurse." um, i wish it was that easy!

AnnieW625
09-12-2012, 04:24 PM
wish i knew. I suck at post-partum weight loss, despite not gaining much during pregnancy (I only gained 30 lbs when pregnant with DS, 20 lbs when pregnant with DD) and exclusive breastfeeding. i lose absolutely nothing until baby is about 8 months old and is nursing less so i didn't have to eat as much, and my boobs aren't as huge. Going gluten-free also helped me...i lost 10 lbs just from going GF. NOt sure if was not eaten gluten or just not being able to eat breads or any sort of fast food.I started a Couchto5k program 2 months ago and go jogging 2-3x a week. however, i'm probably not the one to ask.. despite all this, my youngest is 18 months and i still have about 8-10 lbs to go. :(

anyway, just wanna say i feel your pain..seriously, nothing is more infuriating than seeing other mamas who gorged themselves with sweets and gained ~70 lbs during their pregnancy and then 3mos post partum, they're all walking around in a halter top, all the extra weight gone, saying "oh yeah, all i had to was nurse." um, i wish it was that easy!

I have 30lbs at least to go to where I was when DD1 was a year old; 5lbs over my weight with her when I got pregnant. I am 20lbs over where I was when I got pregnant with the baby we lost. I gained 20lbs from that one, and only lost 8 lbs before getting pregnant with DD2. Like Miss Pacman said I had friends who were lucky and lost everything and then some within weeks. No such luck for me either. The only gold thing is that I lost all of th weight I gained with DD2 pretty easily, but not a lb. more and been able to keep it off consistently since.

Right now the only thing that is helping me is avoiding wheat and a lo of cardio, but even then my metabolism sucks so I have only lost a 1/1/2 lbs in two months. I lose it and put it right back on. I wish I had a magic answer as well, but I don't.

Melaine
09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Giving up wheat, dairy and soy has done it for me. Clearly, I don't recommend that unless absolutely necessary. Even SO, weight loss has been slow IMO.

mommylamb
09-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I do think that not gaining as much during pregnancy is the main thing for me. I gained 14 lbs while pregnant with DS2 because of the diet I was on for GD, compared to 38 lbs when pregnant with DS1, and it has made a huge difference for me post partum.

Here's my little pat on the back for myself-- At 7 months post partum, I'm 17 lbs below pre pregnancy weight with DS2 and event 4 lbs below pre pregnancy weight with DS1. I still want to lose about 8 lbs, but I'm the the thinnest I've been in a decade!

swissair81
09-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Seems to me it's a little too late for me to try and gain less during pregnancy :D.

OKKiddo
09-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Awww. You're so sweet.

Chocolate is currently banned from my house. I have the world's biggest sweet tooth. I've been buying dried pineapple, nuts, natural applesauce and NO COOKIES for the kids to snack on. Unfortunately, the kidlets will have to suffer because their mother has zero self control.

Not even the breastfeeding cookies that help you make more milk (and thereby with more pumping help you lose more weight?)?! Definitely relax and remember that you're loved for more than the shell that houses your heart. <3

swissair81
09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Not doing anything to boost my supply. I never leak and I'm leaking everywhere. My letdown is strong enough to make my baby gag. Poor baby. I am trying to be relaxed. Everything is just so out of control here that looking nice would be pleasant.