PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a double/stroller and half?

bearwithme
09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

My DD will be 2 years 7 months when her sibling is born. We have quite an arsenal of strollers, but nothing that will fit 2 kids.

Right now my dd rarely uses a stroller - once in a while in a store or on a special occasion (like the zoo or disney). But she also doesn't have a sibling right now. Do many kids "regress" when they have siblings and start using a stroller regularly? Do parents use it more because there is more "control?"

We currently don't have a snap and go, so I thought I could justify a BJCM with an adapter - right??? But that wouldn't solve the double issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sarah

smiles33
09-11-2012, 07:31 PM
My DDs are 37 months apart, so far greater a gap than yours, but FWIW I didn't get a double stroller initially. DD2 was in my Beco Butterfly 2 for a good year and a half and then just wanted to walk everywhere. I only got a BJCMD for Disneyland (which was awesome for those purposes). So I might advise waiting and seeing if you can wear DD2 and sues out whether DD1 will want to ride in a stroller again.

edurnemk
09-11-2012, 07:35 PM
My kids are much farther apart than yours, but we got a toddler board for our strollers, and DS loves riding on them. I always have a carrier with me (wrap or Beco) so I could wear DD and have DS ride if necessary.

ETA: Or you can look at sinlges that turn into doubles, i.e. Britax B-Ready, Uppababy Vista, Baby Jogger City Select, Phil and Teds (various models), Mountain Buggy + one, etc.

strollerqueen
09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Yes. Most will regress at that age, and demand a seat of their own. Some, however, will adopt an even more "big sister" or "big brother" role, and refuse to be "a baby." You could always wait and see.

npl
09-11-2012, 09:05 PM
My oldest two are 21 months apart, and my older kid hardly rode in our double - she liked to walk, and we didn't have to go very far. She was very compliant with holding onto the stroller and not running off.
My youngest two are 27 months apart. We do more walking, further than she could manage on her own without really slowing us down. And she isn't temperamentally suited to holding the stroller and walking safely! I'm looking for a double for neighbourhood walks, and avoid going out with both kids to places I need to walk, unless I have someone else to push the second stroller.

bearwithme
09-11-2012, 09:29 PM
The only complication with baby wearing is that the baby will have casts or a brace combo to treat its clubfeet. So that will make baby wearing a little more challenging. I loved my sling with DD2. The dr. we will see after it has been born assures me that there shouldn't be difficulty with any of the infant carriers.

Should I just use my Frog for the carseat? I need to buy an adapter either way. I just hate, hate, hate the fold of the Bug chasis. I do love the bassinet though.

Thank you for all of your thoughts!

Sarah

npl
09-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I love babywearing, but find it hard work when I'm also pushing a stroller, especially with a toddler in it. And I can't babywear when it's slippery out, or when it's raining or really cold, which is why I am getting a decent double this time around. YMMV.

mare_imbrium
09-12-2012, 12:02 AM
My two older kids are just about that age difference apart. I had one of those sit 'n stand type strollers from the time the younger one was about 4 mos, and I hated the push on it so I hardly ever used it. So what really was our best solution was that my older boy would ride on the back of the P3 when he wanted. But that was because he was okay with walking and would stay with us, hold our hands, not run off, etc. I couldn't imagine trying to do that with our younger boy when he was that age because he was a runner. The other consideration is how often your older child will fall asleep while you're out, but you say that they don't often ride now so that probably isn't a consideration. If you have a stroller already that your older child can ride on or you can fit a board too I would try that first. If after the baby is born they always cry about riding you can buy a double then.

roseyloxs
09-12-2012, 05:10 AM
I would wait and see how it goes. DS was 2 years and 3 months when DD arrived and was not riding in the stroller much at that time. I bought a double and pushed it half empty 90% of the time. Sold it before our big move and started using a single with board instead. Then suddenly at 4 DS was always 'tired' and wanted a seat. So I bought another double because the board was no longer cutting it for us.

Long story short I would just wait and see how it goes but would be scanning CL in case something awesome pops up in the meantime, just in case.

poohbear
09-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I would wait and see how it goes. DS was 2 years and 3 months when DD arrived and was not riding in the stroller much at that time. I bought a double and pushed it half empty 90% of the time. Sold it before our big move and started using a single with board instead. Then suddenly at 4 DS was always 'tired' and wanted a seat. So I bought another double because the board was no longer cutting it for us.

Long story short I would just wait and see how it goes but would be scanning CL in case something awesome pops up in the meantime, just in case.

:yeahthat: DS was 2 years 10 mos when DD arrived and rarely rode. He still rarely rides but loves to ride on the board. I did eventually end up getting a duallie off CL for long walks and the zoo. When we go to the mall, etc, though it's a regular stroller and a ride-on board. I do not baby-wear. ;)