PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training rewards?

Pinky
09-12-2012, 11:47 AM
We are going to start officially potty training my 2.5 year old this weekend... Trying to think of some things I could use for little rewards. We've already got a bunch of stickers and I guess we're going to try to avoid food rewards. Any ideas for "prizes" for little girls?

PunkyBoo
09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I thought I'd have to resort to m&Ms but they actually didn't motivate Boo. We did the 3 day potty trainjng for Boo whicb worked greag fof pee but #2 was much ttickier with him. What worked for him was little.plastic toy bugs (andfor each bug he got a happy face on a chart and after a certain number of happy faces he got a big toy crane that he coveted for months.) So maybe for your DD a tube of plastic animals? Give her one each time?

Mommy_Mea
09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
We did a sticker chart for DS1 when we started potty training. We gave 1 sticker every time he peed and I think 3 when he pooped? This was in conjunction with a 3 day boot camp potty training, so it helped to build upon itself. We stopped the sticker chart after around 5 days. And that worked great for peeing.

Pooping has been much more of a challenge. After initially using the potty during the 3 day bootcamp, he refused after that. We spent months promising the world, with nothing working. We eventually just put a diaper on him when he told us he needed to poop. Then when he turned three, we told him "no more diapers!" (for pooping or night time). That worked for a few months, and then he had a regression. No amount of bribing could get him to go again. Until DH bought a hot wheels, placed it in the bathroom and promised it to him if he went on the potty. And he did immediately. Now we have a chart, with an increasing number of times he has to go to get a car, but so far it is working.

So I think it is a combination of them being ready and knowing their "currency".

Pinky
09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I was able to find several little things at Target yesterday and am going to put them all into a basket so that she gets to choose something.

Tomorrow is the big day! Switching to underwear except for sleeptime... She is already pretty good about telling us when she needs to pee, but she completely refuses to poop on the potty. I'm hoping underwear will change her mind on that!

BabyBearsMom
09-14-2012, 11:00 AM
My DD1 is obsessed with watches. So we promised her a Kermit watch when she potty trains. We are planning to do it over Columbus Day weekend.