PDA

View Full Version : Need new carseat/booster for 6 year old

happymomma
09-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi,

We were in a car accident yesterday and now I need to get my DD a new carseat. She is 6 years old and about 44 lbs. She's currently using the Britax Marathon. I love Britax. So I was thinking of the Frontier. What do you guys think? I want something that she can grow in.

We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey. Can I ask if I am tethering the carseat, is it an issue? I read somewhere that I can't anchor it anymore because she's already 44lbs. What do you do instead then?

Thanks

mom2binsd
09-13-2012, 02:57 PM
You can either get a Frontier and use it in harness mode until you feel she is ready to use it in booster mode...my 6 year old is happily harnessed in his Frontier and not ready for full time booster use.

You need to use the seat belt to install the seat, and on the Frontier it's pretty easy, look on the Britax website for the video or youtube.

OR , you can go to full time booster use and buy a High Back Booster...but seeing as she was recently in a Marathon I think you might want to still harness her. There are some boosters that can be "latched" into place so they don't move around but you still use the seatbelt to secure the child. The Britax Parkway SGL has this strap that goes between the legs that is sort of an inbetween for parents/kids not quite ready for straight on booster use. There are lots of good quality High Back Boosters, they all fit a little differently though so you need to try them out.

There are other harness/booster combo seats such as the Graco Nautilus, Evenflo Maestro and Evenflo Secure KID 300/400 but none of these are as nice as the Frontier.

hellbennt
09-14-2012, 07:37 AM
my 6 year old is 41lbs & in a frontier (from a marathon), too:wavey:

KDsMommy
09-14-2012, 10:27 AM
My 5 yo is 45 lbs and happily harnessed in a Frontier.

AnnieW625
09-14-2012, 12:06 PM
My DD1 who is 6, and about 44lbs, and 46-47" tall also uses the Frontier, but as a belted booster. The seatbelt used to get locked a bit, but then she had a growth spurt and she finally started being able to pull the seat belt and get it latched without it locking.