PDA

View Full Version : let's start some okra love!

karstmama
09-13-2012, 05:09 PM
they are awesome breaded & fried, wonderful not breaded & fried, and surprisingly good roasted. ok, so i don't like them cooked to maximize the slime, but there are other things to do that are great.

any other okra fans out there?

ehlana06
09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
I LOVE it, but it's very hard to find where I live :(

trentsmom
09-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Only in okra fritters. I just can't get past the slime and the small hairs when it's not fried.

zukeypur
09-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Grill!!!! Or raw. But if they make it into the house without me eating them while I pick the rest of the garden, I grill them.

pb&j
09-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I pickled some with the Perfect Pickler. (http://www.perfectpickler.com/) Delicious!

LMPC
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
We slice and bake them here a lot. Loved by all!!! There's a restaurant in Asheville, NC that has the BEST fried ones...they don't bread them. Just sliced and quick fried. Sprinkled with salt and a squeeze of lime. YUM!!!

lizzywednesday
09-17-2012, 11:19 AM
DH can't get past any texture.

Me, I eat 'em fried, breaded & fried, in stews and pickled.

Love okra.

For some recipes, you might want to check out the "Okraphobia" episode of 'Good Eats':

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/okraphobia/index.html

citymama
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
YEAH! Sign me up for the club! Big Okra fan here. We buy it at our farmers' market or Asian grocery stores all through the summer. We make it Indian style, crunchy and finely chopped with potatoes, mustard seeds, cumin and coriander. My kids LOVE it! I also like Filipino Pinakbet or Chinese style fried okra (whole).

Indian okra recipe: http://www.sailusfood.com/2009/10/09/sukhi-sabzi-aloo-bhindi-potato-okra-stir-fry/

Pinakbet: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pinakbet-recipe/index.html (I make it vegan, minus pork and shrimp, and I also fry mine up rather than make it like a stew because I don't like okra when it's in a stew. So mine isn't authentic pinakbet, but it's yummy nonetheless!)

As my DH says, if you don't like okra, you've never eaten it prepared right.

zukeypur
09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh yum! Thanks!!! We'ree having Indian tonight and this will be perfect!

joules
09-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I love it in Gumbo!! I just buy the Zataran's gumbo mix and throw in some meats and okra. Since the stew itself is kind of thick..the slime isn't as noticible. But I don't mind the slime at all anyways.

karstmama
09-18-2012, 07:36 PM
thanks for all the ideas, guys! :D i admit i like brussels sprouts better, but okra seems so unloved i wanted to see what y'all would come up with.

essnce629
09-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Hmm, I'm going to try roasting okra for the first time. Sounds delicious!

tropicalmom
09-22-2012, 01:30 PM
This thread made me smile. We just spent over a month in Louisiana with family and DD had to get her DAILY fix of fried okra. She quickly learned that she liked the breaded with corn meal version fried crispy and insisted on going to Church's Chicken every day and ordering okra. We can't find it where we live so brought back seeds to plant in the garden. Any growing tips are welcome since this will be our first garden.

citymama
09-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Growing okra is easy in really hot climates and impossible elsewhere. When I lived in DC, I would plant in late May/early June (when nights start to get warm - the seeds/plant don't tolerate any cold) and harvest a bounty in August. Pick them when still slender and about as long as a "lady's finger" - do not let them get woody or stay on the plant too long. They're inedible like that. The plant will keep bearing okra every 3-4 days if you pick regularly. I've tried to plant here in the Bay Area, but it just doesn't work, even in the hottest temps bc of the cooling off at night. The plant germinated but didn't thrive. However, our farmers markets have a lot of okra since the farms are in the blazing hot interior, just a couple hours from here.

tropicalmom
09-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks, citymama. We're down in Cabo, Mexico so blazing hot shouldn't be an issue here :-)

citymama
09-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks, citymama. We're down in Cabo, Mexico so blazing hot shouldn't be an issue here :-)

Lucky, lucky!