PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your waterproofing spray for leather boots!

joonbug
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
'Tis the season yay! :bighand: Getting ready to start switching summer wardrobe for the fall/winter items, if only the temps started falling below 80's, looking forward towards crisp autumn days ;). I have 3 pairs of smooth leather knee high boots that need waterproofing, anything good that won't darken the leather? TIA!

gatorsmom
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Take it to a shoe repair place. I live in Wisconsin and I've tried all the spray-on products out there. They don't last as long as the treatment a good shoe repair place can do. If you find a shoe repair place that can do a silicone treatment, the leather should be protected all winter as long as you don't go wading in them. ;)

abh5e8
09-13-2012, 09:50 PM
did you notice any change in the color of the boots with the silicone treatment? i should probably have mine treated, but would be so sad if they ended up darker.

gatorsmom
09-13-2012, 09:53 PM
did you notice any change in the color of the boots with the silicone treatment? i should probably have mine treated, but would be so sad if they ended up darker.

Yes, they seem slightly darker but they had faded slightly from so much wear so they look more like their original color now.

joonbug
09-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks! Haven't thought of this. I usually used spray from the grocery store (Kiwi brand?) on my dark maroon and dark brown boots but this year I have a new lighter caramel pair that I don't want to darken too much but I'll what they say :).