PDA

View Full Version : Calico Critters - Where's the Love?

kaitlyns.mom
09-13-2012, 06:01 PM
When DD turned 3 we asked for a ton of Calico Critters stuff for her birthday/Christmas. She has the Cozy Cottage, a tree/slide thing (not the treehouse), tons of furniture, a standalone bathroom, several families, etc. She rarely plays with these. The small pieces just end up strewn around the house but they aren't used in active imaginary play like her My Little Ponies or other dolls. Is it worth it to hold on to these until she is older or should we sell them and get her something likely to get more use? I expected them to be a big hit with her but they just aren't.

Seitvonzu
09-13-2012, 08:26 PM
i'm not sure if i'd hang on to it (if i was able to get rid of things, but that's not what you asked ;)) in that circumstance.

for comparison-- my daughter so loved CC from such a young age at our local toy store, that we asked my ILs for the big dollhouse (manor) and some accessories for our DD's 3rd birthday/christmas (they like to buy a BIG (in size) present , and they typically spend alot). we sent a wish list and they bought EVERYTHING. once it was all set up it was really quite ridiculous...we still have tons of the accessory pieces in a box (because seriously? it just gets overwhelming). while my daughter would play with it at first, i think it was too much. seriously, i was almost embarrased when people would come over ...it was so big and "complete." my idea with something like that was that DD would "collect over time"--but ILs don't work like that.

about 6 months later though, she's really went crazy for it. it's the #1 toy in the playroom, and once DD realized that their car/the loving family mini van could transport them-- they've been on many trips around the house. they inhabit magnatile/unit block buildings. they visit the plan barn. last week several babies rode in a watering can down to the basement and engaged in some sorta circus/show with DD and her best friend. there was also something about a "big waterfall" they had to see. yesterday some critters rode in a rainbow clown wig and ended up in a "pie ride" (i was upstairs organizing and when i came down and found bunnies/etc in the m&d apple pie slices i thought maybe my child was becoming mrs. mcgregor! ;)).

when we came home from disney in january we spent a good 2 weeks turning our manor into the haunted mansion... it stayed that way until i could stand it no longer. that was a blast, but i had to give up on it because the vampire "coffin" would get stuck and make weird noises...and drive mommy crazy!

we have tons of CC, some knock-off (little woodzeez), and some playmobil structures that work with the CC. but really, DD will mix calico critters with anything.. (she particularly likes to make them RIDES) and it really fosters her imagination. we have plenty of toys that don't (i'm looking at you million baby dolls!), and that's ok i guess (really, it's ok. i'm not a bitter dollperson or anything ;))

all that said-- i have a neice that still likes her calico critters and she's 9. its' different now, but up until at least last year , she'd set them up and stuff. so you never know :)

Seitvonzu
09-13-2012, 08:27 PM
oh, and i forgot to say-- my daughter is also 12/07. so the same age as your daughter :)

mnosky1
09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I have 2 girls 4.5 and 9 and the youngest is the one who showed the interest and since I "needed" a gift idea for her that was something we didn't already own from big sis, she got cc starting around age 3. Both girls play but more so my younger DD although my older DD had more interest in them around age 7 than now.
The cc are so pricey, I doubt you'd recoup your money if you sold them so maybe hang on. I think they are a toy I might keep for grandkids actually as I think they'll hold up but if you DD doesn't play with them, I guess they hold no sentimental value. But on a little different track, my girls never played much with our wooden train track but I'm keeping that in the box for grandkids too. My kids just love playing with the toys my parents kept from my childhood and I did too from my old toys and even my moms old toys.

new_mommy25
09-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Hold on to them! I made the mistake of getting rid of a few things like that, and then my kids got into them later. For example, we had a bunch of MLP stuff that were never played with so I sent them to Goodwill a few years ago. Now my kids are obsessed and I totally regret getting rid of them. We also had a bunch of Playmobil that was never played with, for several years. I sold them on Craigslist. Now my 9 year old has been asking for knights and a castle. He wants Schleich but I'm sure he would have been satisfied with the Playmobil had I kept it.

kaitlyns.mom
09-13-2012, 10:20 PM
about 6 months later though, she's really went crazy for it. it's the #1 toy in the playroom, and once DD realized that their car/the loving family mini van could transport them-- they've been on many trips around the house. they inhabit magnatile/unit block buildings. they visit the plan barn. last week several babies rode in a watering can down to the basement and engaged in some sorta circus/show with DD and her best friend. there was also something about a "big waterfall" they had to see. yesterday some critters rode in a rainbow clown wig and ended up in a "pie ride" (i was upstairs organizing and when i came down and found bunnies/etc in the m&d apple pie slices i thought maybe my child was becoming mrs. mcgregor! ;)).

This makes me want to hold on to them! :lol Now I want to play... Seriously though, I wonder why they have not been as popular with her. She loves small plastic animals and everything. I think she is so focused on MLP lately that everything else has taken a backseat. She doesn't even want her princesses anymore!

oh, and i forgot to say-- my daughter is also 12/07. so the same age as your daughter :)
DD's birthday is two days before Christmas, so she got soooo much of the CC stuff then! I'm almost tempted now to get her the car for either birthday or Christmas but I guess it should wait until the desire is there.

I have 2 girls 4.5 and 9 and the youngest is the one who showed the interest and since I "needed" a gift idea for her that was something we didn't already own from big sis, she got cc starting around age 3. Both girls play but more so my younger DD although my older DD had more interest in them around age 7 than now.
The cc are so pricey, I doubt you'd recoup your money if you sold them so maybe hang on. I think they are a toy I might keep for grandkids actually as I think they'll hold up but if you DD doesn't play with them, I guess they hold no sentimental value. But on a little different track, my girls never played much with our wooden train track but I'm keeping that in the box for grandkids too. My kids just love playing with the toys my parents kept from my childhood and I did too from my old toys and even my moms old toys.

Hold on to them! I made the mistake of getting rid of a few things like that, and then my kids got into them later. For example, we had a bunch of MLP stuff that were never played with so I sent them to Goodwill a few years ago. Now my kids are obsessed and I totally regret getting rid of them. We also had a bunch of Playmobil that was never played with, for several years. I sold them on Craigslist. Now my 9 year old has been asking for knights and a castle. He wants Schleich but I'm sure he would have been satisfied with the Playmobil had I kept it.

Thanks for the input! I am going to box them up (and the princesses she claims she doesn't want) and put them out of the way for now. That will keep the tiny pieces away from baby brother too. :)

Seitvonzu
09-14-2012, 09:16 AM
honestly, your daughter sounds alot like mine (same birthday ;)) and i'm surprised she doesn't like the CC more too. i think you're right to box them up and try again in a few months.

the car is AWESOME :) i think it makes all the difference in my childs play (we have the green one because that was all that was out at the time, but they sell a red one cheaper at toys r us that is just as awesome in my opinion...esp if you already have lots of figures (it doesn't come with any and the green one does)

my daughter's obsession is care bears....i'm not sure why that didn't eclipse playing with the calicos. it did seem to take over the polly pocket play and princess play. *shrug*