PDA

View Full Version : Car seat recommendations?

zukeypur
09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Here are the stats:
DD2: 6 yrs 40 lbs (not sure on height) FFing
DD3: 2.8 yrs 28 lbs FFing (we *just* turned her 2 weeks ago)
Vehicle 1: 2012 Odyssey, they mostly ride in this vehicle
Vehicle 2: 2012 ) Honda Crosstour

DD2 is currently in harness mode in a nautilus, but has noticed that all of her friends are in HBBs or even LBB(not an option)

DD3 is in a marathon that will expire next month, which is why I need help.

DH's car has a radian that we use for both kids, but they are obviously not the same height. Adjusting the harness is becoming a huge PITA. My original plan was to move the radian to the odyssey next month for DD3 and keep DD2 in the nautilus. However, since I need to have something in DH's car for the times that he has them (usually once a week, but usually only 1 kid in the car at a time) I thought I would entertain the thought of putting the nautilus in his car and getting something new for DD2.

Option 1: get a frontier for DH's car and adjust the harness height for the rider.
Option 2: get a frontier for the odyssey and move the nautilus, but I would still have the issue of harness height unless I get a cheap HBB for DD2.
Option 3: same as option 2, except getting a Parkway instead of a frontier
Option 4: Stop driving and stay home, lol. Any other ideas?

Am I correct in understanding that the BRU trade in does not include Britax?

Thanks!!!!!!!

AnnieW625
09-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Dh's car:
get a dedicated booster like a Graco Turbo high back for DD2 to use in his car. This seat is easily placed in the car or kept in the trunk and it can fold flat as well.

Your car:
move DD3 to the Nautilus. I would only buy a Frontier for your car if you truly loath the Nautilus and how it fits DD3.

get a dedicated booster like the Parkway, or Monterey for your car for DD2.

Another option would be to see how the Nautilus fits DD2 as a belted booster, and get a new Frontier for DD3 to use as a harnessed seat. I tried my DD2 (26 mos. old at the time) in a Frontier 85 at BRUS about two months ago and to my surprise she fit really nicely.

zukeypur
09-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I absolutely HATE the nautilus for sleeping in the car. DD2 rarely sleeps in the car anymore, but DD3 does often. The poor thing is stuck in the car for at least 2 hours every day whole we pick her sisters up from school, and she has stopped napping at home.

Is the Monterrey or Parkway a better HBB? I would like to be able to latch it in so that it doesn't fly around when not in use.

Joolsplus2
09-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Monterey or Parkway are both great, but they tend to fit differently depending on car and child (like, the seatbelt falls out of the belt guide a LOT in the M, though they say it's fine, and the PW tends to be too wide for smaller chests and shoulders, but for a 6 yo it should be fine). Any way to test them before you buy? Kiddy CruiserFix is also pretty awesome, from what I've seen on carseatblog.com. Clek Oobr LATCHes but tends to get a thumbs down on leg comfort from the kiddos.

zukeypur
09-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Is the kiddy cruiser part of the BRU trade in?

zukeypur
09-15-2012, 10:36 AM
I can try her out in the parkway and the Monterrey today at buy buy baby. Can you use 20% off bed, bath, and beyond coupons on those?

Joolsplus2
09-16-2012, 08:18 AM
I can try her out in the parkway and the Monterrey today at buy buy baby. Can you use 20% off bed, bath, and beyond coupons on those?

I think you can, how did it go?

zukeypur
09-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Insane day, didn't make it. DD1, who had face surgery #15 this summer, was in the play house shooting a video with her laptop. A wasp started flying towards her and she ducked quickly to avoid him, but she ducked her face into part of the playhouse. It looks like a crime scene and ended with a few teeth knocked loose and 3 brackets busted off of her braces. I think the teeth will be ok, and it doesn't look like she messed up the surgery, but she has a swollen face, a busted lip, and school picture day Tuesday. The brackets that fell off were on her two front teeth and one on the side, which could be kind of a bonus on picture day, lol.

I tried DD2 using the nautilus in booster mode last week and she had some trouble reaching back to buckle. She ended up very frustrated and asking for the harness to be put back on. Are the parkway, monterrey, or cruiserfix (horrible name, BTW, reminds me of kiddy crucifix) easier to reach back and buckle?

FWIW, I'm totally fine with keeping her harnessed for now, but am equally ok with moving to a booster at this point too. I wouldn't be doing anything right now except that the beloved marathon expires in October. I love that seat with all of my heart.