PDA

View Full Version : Need New Seats and Really Out of the Loop!

NewMom2007
09-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Our convertible seats are expiring very soon and I need to replace one immediately for our 2.5 yo. I need to do some measuring to determine what can go in DHs car to fit 3 across and I will be moving to a minivan before #3 arrives. Here is our current set up:

5.5 yo has a Frontier in both cars
2.5 yo is RFing in a Marathon and Boulevard
Baby on the way will need infant seat (I have some time to pick this, but just noting it for consideration of growing into the 2.5 yo seat in the future)

I need to pick something asap for our 2.5 yo for my car. Recs? Cost is not an issue, size isn't an issue b/c these will all move into a minivan before #3 arrives.

Thank you!!!

flashy09
09-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Well, I am in the same boat of trying to decide on a seat so have been doing a ton of reading! If you need 3 across in your DH's car, the narrowest width seats are the new Clek Foonf and the Diono Radian (17 inches).

If space is no issue in your minivan, Britax has a seat called the Advocate, which offers the most side impact protection of the Britaxes and some protection for the passengers sitting next to it.

There are sooo many out there, but those are the three I know the most about so thought I would try to help.

Joolsplus2
09-15-2012, 09:12 AM
The new Britaxes are really nice, sort of different and offputting to classic Britax users like you, but the G3 models have some nice ease of use features (crotch buckle lies forward on a stiff belly pad...no more digging for the buckle!). Radian lasts a little longer (though not as a booster, evidently it's kind of junk as a booster), but it's taller and easier for big kids to climb into (low sides, but still deep head protection). Nothing else really spectacular I can think of on the market right now, pretty much the same good ones that were out last time you were shopping :rotflmao: (even the Snugride 35 and Chicco Key Fit are still about the best infant seats...Snugride 30 is a little ligher and really nice, though, and Cybex Aton is top of the line, but not very common....)

NewMom2007
09-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Joolsplus2 - when you say the Radian isn't good as a booster, do you mean when used FFing with the seat belt instead of the 5 point harness? I like the looks of it overall (though, a bit foreign looking to me RFing - so different from the comfy, curvy Britax) and love the 10 year life (though, if not so great as a booster, that won't matter).

The Advocate looks like it has a lot to offer. Love the buckle feature - neither my son nor I enjoy digging that out. LOL. He is able to climb into his Britax seat now - in a minivan, the seats will be up a bit higher, but I'm not too worried about that.

You reminded me about the Snugride - I'll need to dig that out of storage (I think it's a Snugride 22?) and toss that, too.

Joolsplus2
09-16-2012, 08:17 AM
The Marathons and Blvds have that nice crotch strap, too :love5:
Yeah, I mean that the Radian as a booster is poor/iffy, because it allows the shoulderbelt to slip forward and stay loose on the chest. But it's really tall for rearfacing and forward facing. I do love how easy the Britaxes are to install, though, really divine (curvy) little beauties, yup :)