PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on how to deal with 3yo separation anxiety

maylips
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
My 3 year old (August 4) son is a pretty outgoing kid - friendly, happy, likes new adventures, etc. And until recently he happily accepted whatever we were doing and was fine.

Lately, though.....OH.MY. He refuses to go to the fitness center kids area without his older sister, so now I can't work out while DD is at kindergarten and he's with me in the morning. He attends a preschool 2 mornings per week and is fine about going until we pull into the parking lot; then he starts saying "--- scared, --- scared" over and over. I usually will stay there until he's distracted enough that he doesn't notice me leaving. He's fine when I pick him up and the teachers go on and on about how great he was, but he DOES NOT ever want me to leave. And if he's distracted but still sees me try to leave, he freaks out, grabs my legs and cries uncontrollably.

This morning, he started the same stuff when DH tried to drop him off in his Sunday School class. He raised such a fuss that DH finally just took him to the class I was teaching (the k-2nd grade class that DD is in) and he participated in that fine.

My daughter was the shy one so I don't understand this behavior. Is it common for this age? Anyone have any experience, or tips on how I can help him work through doing stuff on his own with groups that don't include me or his older sister?

We don't want to coddle the behavior but we also don't want to dismiss it if he's truly scared and frightened. We also don't know when to cry "uncle" so the scene isn't so disruptive to the group he's supposed to be with. We don't want to draw all of this attention to the situation but we also don't want to let him know if he acts like that he gets his way, either.

MamaKath
09-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Is he reacting to the change in schedule of dd being away in kindergarten do you think? Could it be raising concerns of him being "sent away" for school time (for lack of a better term)?

If it is a sudden thing, it would strike me as a struggle with a change in his life/routine recently.

maylips
09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
I've thought and thought about it and am guessing her not being with him has something to do with it. She was in 5 day/week morning preschool all last year until April, but this summer it's been us, you know?

Still, though, it's getting worse, not better. She's been in school since August 10 and while that's kind of around the time it started (he actually started preschool a few days before she started kindy and has only been okay with being left twice, probably; the rest of the time it's been a struggle) it's getting worse. Church this morning was a big frustration as he should be completely comfortable there, as familiar as it is to him.

mousemom
09-16-2012, 10:04 PM
We've been watching the updated version of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood - Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood - on PBS (which is nowhere near as good as the original, but at least I can see the influence in the themes). Anyway, one of the first episodes was on the theme of how grown-ups go away and then come back. My son liked the episodes and the song they sing, even though that's not been a big issue for him. Maybe it would help your DS to see someone dealing with the anxiety of what happens when grown-ups leave? The episode is available online under videos at the link below - it's broken up into two parts: Daniel Goes to School and and Daniel's Babysitter. (There's also a separate 2 minute segment on Mom going away on a business trip.)

http://pbskids.org/daniel/

maylips
09-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks, mousemom! We'll try watching those to see if it helps.