PDA

View Full Version : Should I return my android and get the new iphone? - need help deciding

jerseygirl07067
09-16-2012, 11:56 PM
I bought an HTC One X a few weeks ago and there are things about it I love and hate. I am posting because the last day I can return it is tuesday. I am aware the iphone 5 doesn't come out until friday, and still may be hard to obtain due to demand.

Pros about the phone...I'm already used to android, all the apps I've wanted I can find for free, love the navigation buttons - i.e. back, home, recent apps, as well as the ones at the bottom of the screen - much easier to navigate around. I like the customization of my pages, though it's not a deal breaker. The big screen is awesome to view FB, e-mail, search the web which I do a lot of, good camera, and the coolest thing is I can take a still photo off my video so I always get the shot I want. Also the typing keys are awesome because instead of toggling back and forth between letters and numbers/symbols, I can hold the key down instead. The display is really nice and it is lightweight.

The cons...mostly the size. I have a hard time using it one handed which bugs me to no end! Though I love the screen size, the phone size is BIG, even bigger with my OtterBox...I actually have longer hands and the phone just feels so big and awkward in my hands It's driving me nuts. It doesn't help that I use a smaller android for work all day (Samsung Exhibit II) - so I can't seem to get used to the bigger phone. Also, it's super customizable, which is a pro and a con. I've had to really play with it to learn how to use it and I'm still learning. That part is getting old, imo. I've even had to call CS regarding a few issues I got stuck on and I can usually figure these things out myself. The other big thing was the phone was supposed to have Google Voice Actions (which is similar to Siri on Iphone 4S, or S voice and Google Now on the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Nexus). I really wanted to use the voice actions mostly to place calls and send texts. It does not work and that particular capability (sending texts and placing calls) I found out has been disabled by Google on the HTC One X phones. I'm annoyed, since that is a helpful feature to have, imo. I do have some aftermarket apps to do the same thing - i.e. Speaktoit and Vlingo, but they don't work consistently. And I have tried my friend's iphones and the way you navigate around doesn't seem as smooth to me, but I haven't used them much.

But the SIZE is the biggest issue...it's annoying to me. I want something that feels nicer in the hand. The iphone 5 as far as I can see will be a bit longer which is nice, but is still the same width. From what I've read it will also have the feature of taking still shots off of video, which is nice, and a big reason why I bought my current phone. Though bigger phones are the wave of the future so maybe I just need to deal with the size, I dunno.

So should I just keep it and get used to it, or go for the iphone 5? The One X is a great phone but the iphone 5 is tempting me, lol! I am just wondering if I will miss some things on my android that I have been taking for granted.

123LuckyMom
09-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I would go to a physical store and handle the iPhone. You should play with it, let the staff try to impress you, and then decide.

JamiMac
09-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I have had a One X for about a month, coming from several iphones and all Mac computers. I absolutely LOVE it and have no desire to return to an iphone. The One X is bigger but I really like how easy it is to see the screen! It's clarity is unmatched. My husband has a 4S that I'll play with and I really don't like using it anymore. I think that with the Jelly Bean update Google Now will be implemented. I can give mine voice directions though right now, to some degree. Hope that helps!

jerseygirl07067
09-17-2012, 09:17 PM
I have had a One X for about a month, coming from several iphones and all Mac computers. I absolutely LOVE it and have no desire to return to an iphone. The One X is bigger but I really like how easy it is to see the screen! It's clarity is unmatched. My husband has a 4S that I'll play with and I really don't like using it anymore. I think that with the Jelly Bean update Google Now will be implemented. I can give mine voice directions though right now, to some degree. Hope that helps!

JamiMac, you are so right! I compared the OneX side by side to the iphone 4S today, and even though the screen on the 5 will be bigger, the One X was nicer to me and I am so used to using an android phone already, the iphone while simple, was so different than what I was used to. I will just find a slimmer case so it doesn't feel so big. :)

I would go to a physical store and handle the iPhone. You should play with it, let the staff try to impress you, and then decide. That's what I did today. I had played around a bit before, but spent a good 30 mins playing with it. I guess it didn't wow me the way I thought it would, lol.

The nice thing too is all my android chargers are compatible too with both my androids. :)