PDA

View Full Version : Which data plan for ATT (iphone!)!

Globetrotter
09-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I am finally getting my iphone! :yay: I haven't used a data plan before so I have some silly questions :p

As an ATT customer, I am going with the iphone 5, 16 GB version, for $199.

Now I'm trying to choose a data plan. When I used their calculator, I came up with less than 3 GB a month usage, so I am thinking the $24 plan will work for me. Sound right?

DataPro Personal 3GB on for iPhone includes 3GB of domestic data usage. Once 3GB is exceeded, an additional 1GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 per 1GB, unlimited domestic data usage on the AT&T Wi-Fi Basic Network. Unused data does not carry over.

Originally $30.00/month
$24.00/month

It sounds like wifi usage doesn't count (when they say on the ATT wifi network, I assume any wifi network will do, right??), so I mainly need it for when I'm on the go or traveling or at soccer games, etc.. I would be using it to pull up maps and get directions (I have a GPS, so not really for that purpose), research restaurants, get phone numbers, and of course emails/surfing, etc..

eTA: The only lower option is 300MB.

mommylamb
09-17-2012, 12:23 PM
I have Verizon, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference. But, I only have 2 GB, and have never had a problem with it. I don't stream a lot of video, and I'm often in wifi areas. Any wifi network works, so long as it's not locked (or you have the code). Pulling up maps, surfing the internet and emailing doesn't use a lot of data.

Globetrotter
09-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks!

The lower version was a 300MB plan, which seemed way too small!

wendibird22
09-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I have 2G and so does DH. We never go over and DH can't access wifi at work (elementary school) and he uses it to check FB, yahoo, etc and really, he's never even close to going over. I think if you stream tv, movies, video games, or music often and won't be on wifi to do so, than maybe reconsider.

Globetrotter
09-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Do you have ATT? I am only getting options for 300MB, 3 GB or higher!

BDKmom
09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Not familiar with the options from AT&T, but DH was checking our usage this weekend, and I used about 350 MB and he used 500 MB. We are on wifi at home and work. Stinks if they don't have anything between 300 MB and 3 GB. Thankfully we are grandfathered in to the unlimited plan.

nfowife
09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
DH and I have 200mb with ATT and we rarely have gone over. We downgraded from 2GB after realizing we were paying for data we weren't using.

wendibird22
09-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Do you have ATT? I am only getting options for 300MB, 3 GB or higher!

We do have ATT. Our 2G data pro for iphone plan was from back in Nov 2011. I guess they've changed the plans since then. I just looked at DH's usage history (he uses higher off wifi than I do because I can access wifi at home and work) and his highest usage over the past 6 mos was 103 MB. My highest was 226 MB. I think we could easily downgrade from the 2G but I get a work discount at the 2G level so it's actually cheaper.

We don't stream on our phones for the most part...at most Pandora. DH and I don't do tv, video, or video games on our phones. We do FB, email, some basic internet. I've done GPS with the mapquest app for a trip but that's not very often.

nfowife
09-17-2012, 10:08 PM
I was researching plans and I see the 200 is no longer offered. But I calculated that if DH and I switch to mobileshare, for a total of $2.50 more per month we can switch to unlimited minutes (we have 550 now and use a crapload of rollover minutes for any overages), texting (we pay per month for this now) and up our data to 1G shared which is more than double what we have now since we each get 200 now. So we are going to switch to mobileshare.

We rarely go over on data but it has happened when DH was traveling two months and we paid $15 extra for more data. This way we wouldn't have to worry about that and the cost is so small it's worth it.