PDA

View Full Version : Pest control fiasco - WWYD?

ahisma
09-17-2012, 12:42 PM
About a month ago, we came home from the cottage and discovered squirrels in our house. We decided pretty quickly that we couldn't handle it (they were going into the wall) and called a pest control company.

The techs came out, trapped the squirrels in the wall and set two traps in the attic. They also sealed up what some entry points around the (new!! gah!!) roof.

They left, we went out for an hour, and came back to discover that the squirrel had eaten a hole in our wall and was in the bathroom. We were able to open the window from the outside and get it out. The next day, there was another.

We called to have them pick up the traps and do a follow up visit, no response.

Fast-forward to this weekend (about a month later). We heard a noise in the attic and went upstairs - there was a squirrel in the trap. I'm positive it wasn't there long, we had been checking every other day and it was noisy. It was a Friday night so we called the 24 hour service. No response. We called again an hour later. No response.

Ultimately, we broke the policy and released the squirrel ourselves because somebody had to!

They called back today and told us 1) They couldn't find our paperwork this weekend so they didn't call us back (I left my phone number on the message), 2) The tech who was here is no longer with them, and misfiled the paperwork, 3) The tech with him didn't work with the company and must have been his girlfriend, and 4) the tech did pretty much everything wrong - should have gotten on the roof, should never have put traps in the attic, etc.

Clearly, I'm concerned because we've paid $$$, still have squirrels coming in, and have a big (about 6" diameter) hole in our wall. They will come back out, but may charge us more (depending on what needs to be done), don't care about the hole in the wall even though they say it shouldn't have happened, and won't come out for at least a week...because it's their busy season and they have new customers. Meanwhile, we paid $$$ a month ago for a service that we have yet to receive. When I pushed them to come out sooner, the owner started yelling at me and saying that he doesn't have time to deal with me (what???!!!). I asked him to take some time to calm down and call me back by the end of the day with a firm plan for fixing this. I don't expect to hear back.

I can file with the BBB, but doubt that will do much. Should we just eat the $$$ can call another company?

lovin2shop
09-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Any chance you paid by credit card for the service. If so, I would dispute the charge since you clearly did not receive what you paid for in this case. Then, start over with another company. Good luck, we've had a hard time finding reliable service for this type of work related to other rodents...ugh!

niccig
09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
If not credit card payment, can you write letter that you did not receive the service you paid for, listing all the issues. Give the resolution you expect, either the fix on their dime or refund your money. If they won't, the file with BBB, you can go to small claims court and write reviews on yelp etc

MamaMolly
09-17-2012, 12:51 PM
If they don't deal with it in a timely manner offer to take it to FaceBook, Yelp and Angie's List. And your local consumer protection reporter on the news.

sophiesmom03
09-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Their excuses still don't release them from their obligation to you. The gf didn't work for the company and the tech no longer does and they did everything wrong? Too bad - you signed on with the company, not the tech, and they owe you the service that you signed up and paid for.

This is a great time to have a friend who's a lawyer write a friendly note. If not that perhaps some on this board could help you frame what to say, to make it clear that you'll take nothing less than the service you ordered or a full and prompt refund.