PDA

View Full Version : Pain after delivery? Update in #8 and advice for treating abrasion

ExcitedMamma
09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't understand why I'm in so much pain. I pushed for ten min and needed one stitch and I have one abrasion but I am in so much pain down there! Plus it's really hard to walk and just feels like my pelvis is broken and my legs aren't attached right. Anyone else feel like this? If so when did you feel better? Thank you!

mctlaw
09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I am so sorry. :hug::hug: This happened to me. Your post does not say how recently you gave birth, but I'm assuming within past few days?

I literally could not walk after delivery. After delivery has been some of the most excruciating pain of my life, far worse than the birth itself. The nurses were shocked I did not have a c-section based on the pain I was in and my inability to walk. I had to be cathed and then discharged with a bedside toilet from home health since I could not bear weight without this terrible pain in my rear pelvis. I was sent to neuro and then a PT. It was SI dysfunction and my muscles surrounding the SI joint were in constant spasm. I had to use crutches after about the first 5 days of being completely bedridden and couldn't even turn in bed. It was depressing because I just wanted to enjoy my baby. Does this sound anything like what you are going through? I did eventually get bette with PT, though I can still "feel" it go out if I walk more than a block. I couldn't walk without a limp for 6 weeks. My PT showed me how to self adjust it as it goes out all the time.

From her recent posts, I think Swissair has experienced something similar several times, so maybe if she has time she'll chime in.

If this sounds anything like your pain please seek out a women's issues PT. I hope you get some relief soon.

AnnieW625
09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
With two vaginal deliveries (one with pitocin, penecilin, and an epidural and 5-6 stitches, and the other natural with one or two stitches--I never actually looked down there) I was sore for about 36-48 hrs., maybe even longer. Tucks pads were amazing, as was the spray bottle I got for cleansing. I also got some mediplast spray which was a big help. I used them both for about a week to 10 days after the delivery because it felt soo much better.

eta: I could walk after delivery, but I remember being sore (like I did a hard workout, which labor really is, you don't use these muscles on a daily basis--although you are suppose to do kegels (which I hate and am horrible about doing:bag)) in my lower body more than normal for a day or two as well. I would talk to the nurse about it as well.

daisymommy
09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah! I think also because your birth was so fast at the end, that happens.
I know I always feel like my muscles are shredded, my bones feel pulled out of their sockets, and all my lady parts feel like someone hit them with a baseball bat. And thats without a tearing or stitches!
Give it time and rest, like a couple weeks. You've been through alot.

pastrygirl
09-17-2012, 08:18 PM
I couldn't walk well for weeks. After about two weeks, I called my OB and it turns out I had one stitch in a bad place, so the OB took it out. Hurt like heck to have it removed, but such relief once it was gone!

I'd also pulled a groin muscle days before giving birth, so that didn't help things.

swissair81
09-18-2012, 10:48 PM
I have experienced similar, but the story is fairly complicated to type on my phone while nursing. Please feel free to pm me or else I'll try to get to the computer sometime tomorrow.

Tondi G
09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Are you taking Ibuprofen? I found if I stayed on top of taking them every 6 to 8 hours I was good but when I missed that window I would be really sore. It'll help keep the inflammation down.

I was pretty sore for a couple of weeks ... I remember walking a few blocks to a restaurant when DS1 was 2 weeks old and being REALLY sore and tired by the time we got home.

Try to relax and give yourself time to heal.... and take those motrin/advil.

ExcitedMamma
09-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone so much! Went back to my OB since I was in so much pain and she figured most of my vaginal pain was from the abrasion. Strange to me but glad to know. She prescribed Silvadene cream which seams to be really helping it heal. If this happens to anyone else she said that Desitin would have the same healing affect. Dual purpose baby cream!

Walking is slowly getting better so I'm really hoping it resolves on its own in the next few weeks.