PDA

View Full Version : Best romance or romance comedy movie in past 2 years?

Pinky
09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
I love watching movies especially romances or romance comedies. Haven't had much time for movies since DD was born and am trying to come up with some good ones to watch during a free day I have coming up. Any suggestions?

The Vow is definitely on my list even though I'm not generally a Nicholas Sparks fan. He wrote that one, right?

AnnieW625
09-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Crazy Stupid Love. I don't think I have seen anything but that.

I might watch Downton Abbey as well.

MMMommy
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM

I might watch Downton Abbey as well.

:yeahthat: Crazy Stupid Love all the way! Funny, smart and well acted.

Pyrodjm
09-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I was going to post Crazy, Stupid, Love also.

Super funny and very sweet DH and I loved it.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Absolutely love Crazy, Stupid Love!

Something Borrowed was ok

I want to see The Five Year Engagement

momm
09-17-2012, 03:24 PM
The Vow SUCKED. It was the most illogical movie ever.. and very untrue to the real story that happened, sadly. So don't have high expectations.

citymama
09-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Does Bridesmaids count?

CSL was funny, just for Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling. I thought the end was ridiculous, but that scene with Gosling and Carrell in the locker room made the whole thing worthwhile.

Downton is a great suggestion!

MMMommy
09-17-2012, 03:43 PM
The Vow SUCKED. It was the most illogical movie ever.. and very untrue to the real story that happened, sadly. So don't have high expectations.

:yeahthat: I had to turn the movie off because I was so bored.

elbenn
09-17-2012, 03:48 PM
I loved Decoy Bride. It is an english rom-com and reminded me of Notting Hill. It's available on Netflix Streaming and Amazon Prime.

gatorsmom
09-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Although it's abot 10 years old now, one of my favorites is the Thomas Crown Affair with Rene Russo and Pierce Brosnan. Just so fun. Lots of people forget about that one. Another one that I'd forgotten about but was on HBO recently was Romancing the Stone. There was so much chemistry there and Danny Devito was hilarious.

Within the last 2 years? Knight and Day was cute with Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise. I can't think of anything I really loved in the last couple years.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Also:
Life as We Know It

Friends with Benefits

Date Night

This Means War

Not sure if this is too old but I love The Proposal

Another that may be too old but Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Mopey
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
The downton thing got me thinking - there's an English movie from a few years back I watched one day when I was sick. Not your typical love story at all but SO good - totally well done on all counts and a cast I like a lot:
Imagine Me & You

Pinky
09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
I forgot about Crazy Stupid Love... definitely wanted to see that!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Bridesmaids and really liked both of those!

Mommy_Mea
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Another vote for Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Not within the past 2 years - but I highly recommend "Once" if you haven't seen it. Gorgeous music and great story.

ETA: Looking at the movies I highly rated on Netflix reminded me of a few more:

500 Days of Summer
Adventureland

Pinky
09-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Have any of you seen Blue Valentine or Midnight in Paris?

Another vote for Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Not within the past 2 years - but I highly recommend "Once" if you haven't seen it. Gorgeous music and great story.

ETA: Looking at the movies I highly rated on Netflix reminded me of a few more:

500 Days of Summer
Adventureland
Thanks for the suggestions! I had been wanting to see 500 Days of Summer but forgot about it!

Once looks good too!

stinkyfeet
09-17-2012, 07:12 PM

:yeahthat: I really liked this movie too. I now understand why so many people were upset that Ryan Gosling wasn't named People's Sexiest Man Alive.

wellyes
09-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't think blue valentine is a romance, I think it is a breakup.

ett
09-17-2012, 07:27 PM

:yeahthat: I did not like it at all and I like most romantic comedies, so that's saying a lot.

lmwbasye
09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Nicholas Sparks didn't write The Vow. He did The Lucky One which I liked.

Loved Crazy Stupid Love, The Proposal, and Friends with Benefits.

Pinky
09-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't think blue valentine is a romance, I think it is a breakup.
Thanks for the heads up... I'll hold off on that one then!

:yeahthat: I did not like it at all and I like most romantic comedies, so that's saying a lot. I also like pretty much all romantic comedies and never go in with big expectations... Definitely starting to rethink watching The Vow though.

I'm wondering about Midnight in Paris now.

Mommy_Mea
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm wondering about Midnight in Paris now.

I really liked Midnight in Paris, and I am NOT a Woody Allen fan...

Twoboos
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
If we're going old school, I'd say French Kiss (Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline). We just randomly watched this the other night and it's still cute.

Midnight in Paris was also good!

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Midnight in Paris was fine. There are other movies on the list that I'd pick though.

liz
09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I just saw "Mirror Mirror" over the weekend and I thought it was fun. It is the re-imagining of the Snow White story (the version with Julia Roberts not Charlize Theron/Kristen Stewart). Not your traditional rom-com, but it had good actors in the lead roles, gorgeous cinematography, beautiful costumes and I give it bonus points for the Bollywood scene during the credits. A bit light in content but a very enjoyable movie.

Smillow
09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I really liked Midnight in Paris, and I am NOT a Woody Allen fan...
:yeahthat:!!

And forget To Rome With Love - it was very bad. So disappointing after Midnight in Paris.

georgiegirl
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Friends with Kids. The first half was absolutely hilarious!!! The second half a bit cheesy. There are some SNL alum in it.

Twin Mom
09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
I just watched this a couple of days ago and I thought it was pretty good. It's a romantic comedy, it's supposed to be cheesy. :rotflmao:

Friends with Kids. The first half was absolutely hilarious!!! The second half a bit cheesy. There are some SNL alum in it.

I also enjoyed This Means War, Friends with Benefits and No String Attached (the other FWB movie).

MMMommy
09-17-2012, 10:49 PM
In addition to Crazy Stupid Love, I enjoyed Just Go With It (Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler). I saw Just Go With It during free Starz channel weekend, so my expectations were low. I thought it was entertaining and funny. DH liked it too.

Loved 50/50, but it is not a romance comedy. Well, in some ways it is, but the lead character (love, love, love Joseph Gordon Levitt) is dealing with cancer. It was poignant, funny, touching, and well acted.

Green22
09-17-2012, 11:43 PM
I would say Love, Actually but I am not sure this is new enough.

momm
09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
:yeahthat: I had to turn the movie off because I was so bored.

I know, right?

No spoilers ahead -

A surprise party for an amnesia patient the day she returns from the hospital? Really? Everyone coming up to her and saying "you don't remember me? I'm your best friend/ doctor/ neighbor"?? really? And then the understanding husband getting pissed at her because she doesn't want to take part in the party??? Really????
hehe.

I did want to watch 500 days.. should've done it when it was on Netflix streaming!

lizzywednesday
09-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I would say Love, Actually but I am not sure this is new enough.

That's one of my favorites, but it came out in the last 10 years, not the last 2. (IMDB has its year of release as 2003.)

I don't usually go for the rom-com thing, but I positively adored that one.

Glad to hear the thumbs up for Midnight in Paris - that was the only rom-com-like movie out in the last couple of years that I was interesting.

cdlamis
09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
:yeahthat: Crazy Stupid Love all the way! Funny, smart and well acted.

Thanks to all the suggestions for Crazy Stupid Love, I rented it for myself last night. Loved it!! And I finally joined the I :heartbeat: Ryan Gosling team. :wink2:

american_mama
09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Hated 500 Days of Summer... it's a breakup movie with a narcissist as the heroine, so I found it very depressing.
Adventureland was boring, obvious, kind of depressing and stars Kirsten Stewart ('nuff said). The only thing good was the final scene, when the dashing ladies man kind of realizes that this is all he'll ever be but the loser tickettaker might actually be going places.

Crazy Stupid Love was good, not great. Surprised so many recommended it.

I like 50 First Dates; really makes you think about what you would have to do daily to fall in love every day. It's not believable, but I found it thought-provoking if you tried a little. eta: It's from 2005.

I also liked Outsourced, which was/is on Netflix instant watch and is a delightful rom-com with a cross-cultural twist. Much lighter and sweeter than I expected. eta: It's from 2006.

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Like PP, I thought 500 Days of Summer was a bummer! It had some good parts and I liked the cast but the story wasn't my favorite.

ett
09-18-2012, 04:23 PM
These are from a few years back, but I liked Adam and Definitely, Maybe.

There's also the latest Jane Eyre adaption from last year.

Pinky
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Watched CSL and thought it was great! Never saw the little twist coming...

american_mama
09-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Thought of a few more:

He;s Just Not That Into You. Stories of multiple couples, some stories work better than others. The most enjoyable was Gennifer Godwin, the ever hopeful serial dater, and Justin Long (from the apple commericals), the just a friend bartender who tries to give her a reality check into male dating behavior. Reminded me of conversations with friends when we were in our 20;s.

I Love You Man. This is very much in romantic comedy style, but the "bromance" (gag at the term) is about a friendship between two guys. Funny, but also predictable.