PDA

View Full Version : Zoo Party for 9 year old?

bisous
09-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Is this too juvenile? DS1 is turning 9. We have a small local zoo that does special animal presentations for kids. Up to 40 kids for only about $125! This is the absolute steal of the neighborhood!

I would like to host a party for DS1's entire class. We're new to a charter school that we're hoping to be at through 8th grade. After years of moving around and changing schools, I want to set him up properly. Our house is MAYBE big enough for tons of kids but I can foresee a lot of time and even a lot of expense to make a home party fun enough for a big group.

DH thinks that the zoo idea is too juvenile. I think DS would love it. I'd love to hear your feedback!

Also, any inexpensive party ideas? FWIW, DS would love to have a Harry Potter "Quidditch" party but the logisitics of that have my head spinning! (Even though my 5 year old and his buddies have volunteered to be beaters. :) )

TIA!

wendmatt
09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I think it's a great idea. If DS likes it of course, if he doesn't like it then it's a no go. I asked DD who is turning 10 and she said it would be nice and not babyish. $125 is a bargain. I'd love to do a HP party, someone here did an awesome one with great ideas you can look up if you decide to go that route. I like the idea of being able to invite everyone to the zoo party, if you did a HP party at home you'd have to make it smaller.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I wonder if the zoo would be willing to work with you on making it a Harry Potter theme? Show owls, snakes, toads and other Harry Potter- esque animals? Our zoo has run Harry Potter programs before. I think if the animals and activities are tailored to an older crowd, you'll be fine.

maiaann
09-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think it's too juvenile at all. I think it sounds like fun! I know my *almost* (next month) 11 year old would love it!

infocrazy
09-17-2012, 05:06 PM
The zoo field trip for our school isn't until 3rd grade so I'd say it's great. I have big time animal lovers so they'd love it!

lfp2n
09-17-2012, 05:31 PM
My 9 year old would love it!

squimp
09-17-2012, 05:34 PM
My almost-9-yo is an absolute animal lover - we just did a trip to the zoo last weekend and she loved it now more than ever. I would totally do it. Sounds like a great deal, too.