PDA

View Full Version : How do i give DH power of attorney?

Green_Tea
09-17-2012, 07:06 PM
We are refinancing our mortgage and I cannot be at the closing, so I need him to be able to sign on my behalf. How do I go about this? Do we need an attorney to do it?

lmwbasye
09-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Not sure on the civilian side. We are military and, with DH deployed, I feel like I have Power of Attorneys for EVERYTHING right now (we are also moving, getting passports, selling cars, etc).

We do need to go through JAG so I'm guessing you need a lawyer. I would highly recommend you make it a specific one for the closing (vs. a general POA). A general one should cover it but 9 out of 10 military spouses have hit walls with this one for way smaller things then you're talking about when they really shouldn't so I err on the side of caution.

HTH!

codex57
09-17-2012, 07:46 PM
First, ask the mortgage company. They may have a specific one that just covers the closing. Otherwise, I'm not really comfortable with the generic ones and would recommend seeing an attorney. I'd call around. They're pretty easy to modify so maybe you can find an attorney willing to do one for cheap.

That said, I'm surprised the mortgage company isn't arranging for a mobile notary at your house or something. Easy for them to arrange usually so you can be there.

hillview
09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
we've done a limited one -- just a form to fill out and a notary public signature. We did it for a home purchase. Our closing atty arranged for it.

Green_Tea
09-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the info - perhaps it's something our mortgage person can help us with. Glad it sounds fairly simple and straightforward.

mommylamb
09-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Call the title company. They should be able to give you whatever paperwork you need and it shouldn't be a big deal.

kbud
09-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Title company can take care of it very easily for you. Or you can probably sign all papers before you go. I got power of attorney from my mom for her house she bought. She just signed a paper the title company gave her before she left town. I showed up at the closing on her behalf and signed everything. It's common and very easy to do.