PDA

View Full Version : What instrument for 4th grader?

LD92599
09-17-2012, 08:50 PM
DS isn't sure what he wants to try..and the form was due last Friday (but it just came home on Friday!).

Ideas?

rin
09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Clarinet is a pretty good starter instrument.

maestramommy
09-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Is it just band? or string? For string I recommend violin or cello, wind clarinet, and brass trombone or baritone.

katydid1971
09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Trumpet, they aren't to heavy to carry around and store.

AnnieW625
09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I started with the clarinet as well (later played bass clarinet, and flute as well starting in the 6th grade). My brother started with the trumpet (he also plays piano, and bag pipes). My sister started with the saxophone, and later learned the piano, but much preferred the saxophone. I really think it depends on his preference. I know for me that even at 9 yrs. old I would have been comfortable playing a trombone or even a trumpet because I was afraid I would mess up or not get the right slide position or play the wrong two keys on a trumpet. I never felt that way about the clarinet or the flute.

LD92599
09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Sounds like anything is fair game. I wish more info had been sent home!

MelissaTC
09-17-2012, 09:38 PM
M started on clarinet. Most kids did flute or clarinet.

jjordan
09-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Whatever instrument HE is interested in would probably be a good start. Do they do any testing on the instruments before they make the final choices? At the school where I grew up, the kids ranked 1st-2nd-3rd choices, and then the music teachers did quick screenings to see which of their top 3 the kid seemed to have the most natural ability for. (Kids who wanted to play drums repeated a rhythm on a drum, kids who wanted to do brass or woodwinds were given the mouthpiece from that instrument to try, etc.) Does your school do something like that? Has he ever seen these instruments up-close and in person? Maybe a trip to a music store (if you have one nearby) would help him to choose.

KpbS
09-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Another vote for the trumpet. :)

MaiseyDog
09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
I agree with others that have said to let him try some out if possible. I really struggled to make the correct mouth movements to effectively play brass, but did great with woodwind instruments (expept flute, because I broke my pinky when I was little and can't move it independent of my other fingers) Also drums often require the person to perform two different rhythms with each hand and not everyone can do this.

After trying out some instruments, I'd let him pick whatever makes him excited to practice.