PDA

View Full Version : keep the P&PT coming...

WatchingThemGrow
09-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Our housing situation has gotten even more crazy.

The apt. complex has been extremely difficult/not understanding the last few days. They won't test the air as they were told to to find out what the smell is. They applied a solution to a different problem, which made it impossible to detect/diagnose the original problem we reported 10 days ago. They've refused to pay for a hotel when we've been unable to live in our apartment. They've told us we can break our lease, but only in the next 13 days, otherwise we are on the hook for rent until April.

DH and the DC do.not.want. to have to move again. There are NO affordable rentals anywhere on our side of town available with enough space for 5 people. By affordable, I mean under $2400/mo and not in a moldy floodplain.

We are just plain screwed and don't know what to do. We have SIL who is recently disabled, but an amazing prosecutor who is going to read over our lease and help us today while she's at doctor's appointments in town, but she does not practice in this state. I can't believe we are in such a horrible situation.

TwinFoxes
09-18-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm very sorry. Is there no possibility of just getting your real house back so you can just put an end to this? I'd probably just offer the tenants a lump sum to vacate. I don't think I could live with the moldiness either, I'd take their offer of breaking the lease. I hope everything works out whatever happens! P&PT!

kaharris83
09-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Sending PTs your way!! What a nightmare.

brittone2
09-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Sending positive thoughts your way. It is so frustrating.

I would try really hard to get into another place in the next 2 weeks if you can, or get some legal advice from someone experienced with habitability issues and NC tenant/LL laws. I have friends and family who are LLs, and I've always heard how laws tend to favor the tenants, how difficult it is to evict them, etc. After having a terrible experience with our LL when we were renting, I now feel the opposite! Breaking a lease is so much more difficult than we had anticipated, even when there are very serious issues e(and fwiw, I've never tried to break a lease just to break it, but when you run into serious problems, I had no idea how difficult it could be). And it is awful when you are paying upward of 2K a month to live that way :( I know you are a LL now, and hopefully that end of the LL/tenant experience will continue smoothly.

You'll be in my thoughts. I'd do whatever I could to get out now; perhaps after someone looks into your situation more, you may be able to prove a habitability issue and break the lease later, but I'd really try to get out while they are agreeable to it if possible. But document everything you possibly can.

wendibird22
09-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Sending many P&PTs to you. I'm late to this story, so I'm sorry if I'm missing some background. Can you involve the local rental housing authority, code enforcement office, health department, or Attorney General?

TwoBees
09-18-2012, 08:34 AM
*hugs* Sending lots of P&PT.

KDsMommy
09-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Oh no, sending lots of P&PT your way.

amldaley
09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Can you talk to the kids school(s) and see if they will let you go out of district while househunting to open up more rentals? I know it is not as convenient, but it is also only temporary.

Continuing p & pt for you :hug:

marymoo86
09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Can you talk to the kids school(s) and see if they will let you go out of district while househunting to open up more rentals? I know it is not as convenient, but it is also only temporary.

Continuing p & pt for you :hug:

I would pursue this as well.

:hug: for a quick and easy solution

ourbabygirl
09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry! Lots of P & PTs to you and your family! :hug:

jess_g
09-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Hope you find something in the next 2 weeks. Can you increase your max rent amount and see if that opens anything up for you? Although I understand finding something with children can be tough.

Jenn

carolinamama
09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Sending more P&PT that things work out for you.

LD92599
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
any executive rental places around? Lots of P&PT! Hoping for a GREAT update from you soon :-)

SkyrMommy
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Oh No!! Sending many, many P&PTs that things work out well and very soon for you. :grouphug: