PDA

View Full Version : Airplane separating family news story

Liziz
09-18-2012, 08:18 AM
http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13921681-airlines-playing-chicken-with-passengers-charging-you-get-to-sit-with-your-kid-fee?lite While I hope to always sit with all my family on an airplane, I don't think airlines have an obligation to ensure full families sit together. I absolutely *do* think they have an obligation to ensure a child sits next to one of their parents, though. I think most of the population would get behind the latter, but if we start getting into "the entire family must be accommodated" I worry that we'll lose a lot of support from individuals w/o small children.

For example, if I saw two parents and one child split up -- all three in different rows -- I'd be furious and support any amount of "scene" they had to cause to keep the kiddo from sitting alone. If I saw the same family making a scene b/c they had two seats in one place and one in another, I'd be annoyed. (I'd also be quick to switch seats w/ a family in that situation...I just don't feel there's a right to "demand" when the child is by at least one adult)

That all being said.....I miss the days without all these crazy fees, it is getting ridiculous!!!!!!

Jen841
09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
But NO option to pay $ and get seats together. 4 of us flew to Disney spaced out over 4 rows. We did not make a scene. Honestly, it was a super relaxing flight for me! My kids were good and strong, and met nice people. They felt very grown up. If they were younger (they are 6 and 9) someone may have accomodated us.

I am a proud mother of 2 kids that held their down and did GREAT! My once quiet and reserved child was a chatter box the entire flight which cracked me up. Karate has him out of his shell, as well as the excitement of going to Disney.

wellyes
09-18-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree. Kids must be with a parent, but families don't HAVE to br together. In this case, have the mom sit away instead of the kid, and then on the flight hope someone will switch. This is not a big deal, jeez.

TwoBees
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't get this. Why couldn't the mother or father just sit in the seat the child was assigned to (the single seat) and the child and the other parent sit together? I get why the father was annoyed that something he thought was a contract was changed, but it's not like all 3 seats were split up!

kaharris83
09-18-2012, 08:36 AM
:yeahthat: to all of the PPs. I read it and thought what's the big deal. When we fly we are usually on 2 x2 planes so one sits with DS and the other gets a seat elsewhere. It would be nice to be together but as long as we get 2 seats together I'm happy.

Hemlock
09-18-2012, 09:27 AM
We took our kids to Disney when they were 5 and 7 and the airline sat us all separately, but on each flight (4 total) the stewardess looked at our boarding passes and said "let me find you seats together" and proceeded to ask passengers to move without my asking her to do so.

Whe took the kids to Disney again 2 years later, on 3 of the four flight that we took, the airline assigned my 7 year old daughter to the emergency exit row. Apparently, you must be at least 12 to sit in this row. That was a little annoying because the airline knew how old she was and still placed her in that row 3 times!

sste
09-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Oh, whenever this has happened to us we have tried to deposit our four year old in his own row with near-maniacal, grins of joy!! We don't even have to ask for a switch. The other passenger is generally trying to VAULT out of the seat to trade seats with us while DS proceeds to lecture their retreating back about the triassic era.

eagle
09-18-2012, 09:53 AM
i get that airlines have to change plans/planes etc. but i do also get why the father was annoyed. i am like him and i specifically purchase tickets early to ensure seating together. its very frustrating. you play by the rules, you pay the ridiculous baggage fees etc etc etc and still you get screwed.

but i also realize that everybody else is living the same hell.

i would probably just go without paying and expect to be split up. but id be irritated as hell about it.

kbud
09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
We took our kids to Disney when they were 5 and 7 and the airline sat us all separately, but on each flight (4 total) the stewardess looked at our boarding passes and said "let me find you seats together" and proceeded to ask passengers to move without my asking her to do so.

Whe took the kids to Disney again 2 years later, on 3 of the four flight that we took, the airline assigned my 7 year old daughter to the emergency exit row. Apparently, you must be at least 12 to sit in this row. That was a little annoying because the airline knew how old she was and still placed her in that row 3 times!

You have to be 15 years old and not have a child with you anywhere else on the plane either. Yes, they should know if it's an exit row, although planes to get swapped and exit rows are different on each plane.

As a former flight attendant and frequent stand by traveler with my kids (dh works for an airline so we get the extra seats if there are any, often the middle seats) it's usually pretty easy to move people around. I often offer to buy them a drink or snack. Although occasionally it is really difficult but getting a child by one adult can usual be done but not always the whole family together that can be hard.

maestramommy
09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
As a family of 5 we never sit in the same row. Obviously. The best we can hope for is two consecutive rows or rows across from each other.

I still want to visit my family without Dh and that will mean some separation, no matter what.

TwoBees
09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
The other passenger is generally trying to VAULT out of the seat to trade seats with us while DS proceeds to lecture their retreating back about the triassic era.

:hysterical:

daniele_ut
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
We fly a lot with our kids and have run into this issue many times. I don't have a problem with us being separated, but I do prefer that our kids are sitting with at least one parent. I did ask for an accommodation this summer when I was flying alone with all 3 kids and we were in 3 separate rows with DS2 on my lap.

Kindra178
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Oh, whenever this has happened to us we have tried to deposit our four year old in his own row with near-maniacal, grins of joy!! We don't even have to ask for a switch. The other passenger is generally trying to VAULT out of the seat to trade seats with us while DS proceeds to lecture their retreating back about the triassic era.

This. I would love it if someone wanted to sit with my twins. They would field questions like, "If you didn't cut the grass, would it grow taller than the trees? Why?"

MamaMolly
09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
The cynic in me would be VERY interested to know if this happens at the same rate for all tickets booked as a group. After all, who is more likely to pay for the 'luxury' of traveling with their companions? Business travelers? Or families with minors?

Yeah, I'm cynical today.

AngelaS
09-18-2012, 06:00 PM
The last time we all flew they had us assigned to five different rows. So we discussed what the girls could tell their seatmates.

Things like "I only threw up once yesterday so I must be getting better since I threw up five times the day before." "wanna see my wart??" "what would you like to talk about? My mom said I could talk to you the WHOLE flight!"

They were almost disappointed when they had to sit with us. LOL

JBaxter
09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
LOL They had Me Jack & Nathan in the exit row on our last flight Those are easy to get switched. Jack & I sat together and Nathan enlightened some stranger on the joys of pokaman < some color> version for 3 hrs. He shared granola bars and gold fish crackers. When we exited the man said... He talks A LOT.

we never get upset as long as they are close. I would LOVE someone to sit with Jack < think I may book it that way next time>

longamkl
09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
The last time I flew Allegiant, I had paid the extra fees for seat assignments but we missed the short window of time that they called our seats during the boarding process because we were in the potty with the twins. They also don't allow families priority boarding - we asked.

Strangers (able-bodied men) took our assigned seats and when I asked them to move, they refused. I was carrying one 37 lb twin while my husband was carrying the other in our haste to get on the plane. The flight attendants refused to help us and all I could see was middle seats left throughout the plane. We ended up taking the flight attendants reserved seats at the very back of the plane.

Just wait until the airline is party to a lawsuit where a young, unaccompanied child eats a food he/she is allergic to, or chokes or whatever other unimaginable circumstance could take place.

lmwbasye
09-18-2012, 07:04 PM
This guy must not fly often. This is, IMO, not a big issue. Either have one parent sit in that separate seat or just talk to the person at the gate. 9 out of 10 times, they can accomodate us.

That being said, the best was last month when they tried to put my DH and I in the exit row and our 4 and 7 year olds in the row behind us. Even that would have been a disaster. I couldn't believe the guy was serious. But he was. Thank goodness, the kind people on the flight offered to switch with DH and I so they could have the exit row and DH and I each got a kid with us (still separated but that's easy).

Pear
09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
If Dh and I were flying with DD I would be extremely annoyed if we could not all sit together. Frankly I wouldn't be flying with her without a helper in the first place.

georgiegirl
09-18-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't care of dh is seated elsewhere (since he's no help anyway), but if they tried to separate my kids from me, I'd be pretty angry. I don't want my kids sitting next to a stranger.

cuca_
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
i get that airlines have to change plans/planes etc. but i do also get why the father was annoyed. i am like him and i specifically purchase tickets early to ensure seating together. its very frustrating. you play by the rules, you pay the ridiculous baggage fees etc etc etc and still you get screwed.

:yeahthat:

While I would not go to the lengths that this family has gone, I totally get the anger. We have had this happen to us before. I am a planner, and we have a system when it comes to air travel. We get two consecutive rows and that way if a child accidentally kicks the seat or pulls the tray we are not annoying any strangers. I have been in the situation where the airline has change flights and we have lost the reserved seats. In fact, my youngest DD was placed in a seat by herself when she was 1 were equally split around the plane. Surprisingly, the person sitting next to her complained about moving, until I smiled and told her I would be thrilled if she cared for my toddler for the duration of the flight. If I were in his position I would probably pay the $60 or suck it up, but I totally understand his frustration.

Zukini
09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I TOTALLY get it about separating small children from their parents when they have a purchased seat. If it were my child, I would want to sit next to them for them to be comfortable, safe and not burden another passanger with having to "look out" for their immediate well-being.

However, I think it's unfair to burden other passengers with the random request to switch seats during boarding. On a recent AA flight, a lady asked me to move from my seat in order for her to sit with a young relative with a middle seat assignment (who in IMHO looked old enough to sit by herself for the 3 hour flight, prob 10 or 11). In the moment, I refused... simply speaking, travel is a hassle, inconvenient and expensive with all the add-on fees for ALL of us these days, but I planned ahead and paid extra for the aisle seat because I simply detest sitting by the window or in the middle when traveling solo. Thankfully, the lady at the window seat offered to switch to the other row/ window seat the passengers were offering. No big deal for her perhaps. But my nerves preclude me from sitting feeling trapped by the window with strangers next to me.

I realize the young girl did not want to sit by herself and wanted her family member close by. But my feelings and issues count too. I was within my right to refuse, and I did. Now if a flight attendant had asked, I would have clearly requested another aisle seat but there was none nearby to help coordinate a switch. It all happened really fast though so not much time to negotiate.

I'm also not a fan of teaching children to lie / exaggerate / manipulate situations they are uncomfortable in to get what they want. So her threatening to vomit or any other such theatrics probably wouldnt have fazed me either. I've thrown up on planes myself as an adult sooooo... yeah, no biggie there.

kbud
09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
This guy must not fly often. This is, IMO, not a big issue. Either have one parent sit in that separate seat or just talk to the person at the gate. 9 out of 10 times, they can accomodate us.

That being said, the best was last month when they tried to put my DH and I in the exit row and our 4 and 7 year olds in the row behind us. Even that would have been a disaster. I couldn't believe the guy was serious. But he was. Thank goodness, the kind people on the flight offered to switch with DH and I so they could have the exit row and DH and I each got a kid with us (still separated but that's easy).

The airline did that? It's against FAA regulations to be sitting in an exit row if you are the caregiver to another passenger seated anywhere on the plane. In an emergency you'd help your kids, not assist with the exit row responsibilities. Of course you all seemed to realize that;)

happymom
09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I haven't read every reply, but I agree that although its frustrating to have your plans changed, this guy was really over-reacting since they DID have 2 seats together. Also, he hasn't even flown yet. Chances are, if he asks at the gate, they will accommodate him. Or someone on the flight will switch seats for him.

On our recent trip to Florida, we were upgraded to first class (both ways!) because there were no other seats together. The circumstances were not typical (On the way there, we missed the flight and were "squeezed" onto the next flight, and on the way back, we were all deplaned due to mechanical issues and they had to find seats for everyone on different flights) Bottom line, I have found that the airlines really do try to work it out.

sweetsue98
09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
DH and I were at the airport talking about this article today! We both agreed that most airlines would try their best to accommodate families with young children. I would be happy to offer/ exchange seats with a parent or child (young child) so they could sit together. If the child was 8+ or so I might be a little more hesitant. In this article I'm not sure why one parent didn't just sit in another seat and have the child sit with the other parent. Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

niccig
09-19-2012, 12:30 AM
DH and I were at the airport talking about this article today! We both agreed that most airlines would try their best to accommodate families with young children. I would be happy to offer/ exchange seats with a parent or child (young child) so they could sit together. If the child was 8+ or so I might be a little more hesitant. In this article I'm not sure why one parent didn't just sit in another seat and have the child sit with the other parent. Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

Don't bet on it. My friend flew with her 2 sons, one was 2yo and has special needs. There were split up around the plane. She told the staff at check in, the staff at the gate, and the flight attendants - nothing was done. She asked people to move, no one would move, she finally burst into tears and then people a few rows back offered to switch.

MamaSnoo
09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Don't bet on it. My friend flew with her 2 sons, one was 2yo and has special needs. There were split up around the plane. She told the staff at check in, the staff at the gate, and the flight attendants - nothing was done. She asked people to move, no one would move, she finally burst into tears and then people a few rows back offered to switch.

That was me too, pretty much. I was 27 weeks pregnant and traveling alone with my then 3 year old. The airline (Delta) seated us in separate rows. I asked at check in and was told that they could not do anything, the FA would help at boarding. I nicely asked a FA if she would be able to help with our seating, and she said no, but I could try to work it out myself. I had to ask several people, one of which was rude, before anyone would agree to switch. I was in tears.

I agree that it is not necessary to have all family members together in most instances, but for very young children, I do think the airlines should try to help accomodate families so that one adult can be with the children. For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to sit next to my unaccompanied 3 year old, or why the airlines would want pre-schoolers sitting alone. It is a recipe for disaster in an emergency situation IMO. It is also a potential lawsuit if a parent alledges abuse or improper conduct by the complete strangers who are with your kids.

sweetsue98
09-19-2012, 11:06 AM
That was me too, pretty much. I was 27 weeks pregnant and traveling alone with my then 3 year old. The airline (Delta) seated us in separate rows. I asked at check in and was told that they could not do anything, the FA would help at boarding. I nicely asked a FA if she would be able to help with our seating, and she said no, but I could try to work it out myself. I had to ask several people, one of which was rude, before anyone would agree to switch. I was in tears.

I agree that it is not necessary to have all family members together in most instances, but for very young children, I do think the airlines should try to help accomodate families so that one adult can be with the children. For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to sit next to my unaccompanied 3 year old, or why the airlines would want pre-schoolers sitting alone. It is a recipe for disaster in an emergency situation IMO. It is also a potential lawsuit if a parent alledges abuse or improper conduct by the complete strangers who are with your kids.

That's awful! I haven't had any experience flying with a child but just thought most people would be understanding to young children.

niccig
09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
That's awful! I haven't had any experience flying with a child but just thought most people would be understanding to young children.

No they're not. You can be seen as a nuisance on a plane.

I understand that they often reshuffle planes, but how difficult is if for the computer to go "ummm, child is booked with adult, maybe we should keep them together? Adult is travelling alone, they can in this seat." But now that airlines are charing more for window and aisle seats, it's going to be even more of a mess when they change a plane and you paid more for window and now don't get it, or get asked to move so a child can be by an adult.

We were separated once, people wouldn't move at all. There is no way a complete stranger is sitting next to my child for 5 hours. I told them "he gets motion sickness." He does sometimes, but I left off the "sometimes". One lady moved. It's not fair you have to move, but it sure isn't fair on a young child to be by themselves. You're an adult and can deal with it better. Besides, who wants to sit beside a kid w/o the parent for 5 hours!