PDA

View Full Version : funny Luvs ad & breastfeeding in public

♥ms.pacman♥
09-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Saw this Luvs ad and thought it was so funny...probably bc it rang SO true for me. With my first I was SO concerned about nursing in public..took a cover everywhere and would pump/prepare bottles... but with my 2nd I just said eff it, and just whipped it out whenever (so much easier!)

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/142982/best_diaper_ad_ever_captures

elizabethkott
09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
This is great and fantastic! And ITA with the text that goes with it - she sticks out so much more with the big, white blanket draped over her than without it!

amldaley
09-18-2012, 08:56 AM
eh. I am definitely more comfortable w/ DD2 but I still cover up. Not trying to hide my breasts. But I don't buy expensive nursing blouses and it has been too warm to wear cardi's and tanks. I don't feel like exposing my entire side, fat rolls and all, when I NIP. I have to use a nipple sheild and support myself with one hand. There's a lot to coordinate and I prefer to do it under a nursing cover. It offered good sun protection for DD's sweet little head while nursing in the sunshine.

I think any woman who NIP's is awesome and I am sad that there is now some sort of distinction and criticism or mocking of those who chose to use a cover.

So "yeah" for you mom's who do it so easily but it would be a shame to discourage a new mom from nursing with a cover if that is the only way she is comfortable. The whole point is feeding your baby, not how cool you are while doing it.

wellyes
09-18-2012, 09:10 AM
I love this ad, it is true to life for me! It feels like it must have been written by a woman who's been there. I don't find it insulting - it's an exaggeration for both nursing situations, but, a funny one.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-18-2012, 09:14 AM
eh. I am definitely more comfortable w/ DD2 but I still cover up. Not trying to hide my breasts. But I don't buy expensive nursing blouses and it has been too warm to wear cardi's and tanks. I don't feel like exposing my entire side, fat rolls and all, when I NIP. I have to use a nipple sheild and support myself with one hand. There's a lot to coordinate and I prefer to do it under a nursing cover. It offered good sun protection for DD's sweet little head while nursing in the sunshine.

I think any woman who NIP's is awesome and I am sad that there is now some sort of distinction and criticism or mocking of those who chose to use a cover.

So "yeah" for you mom's who do it so easily but it would be a shame to discourage a new mom from nursing with a cover if that is the only way she is comfortable. The whole point is feeding your baby, not how cool you are while doing it.

sorry you felt that way..i guess i didn't see it as critical of moms using a cover...i just thought it was just one of those things that illustrates how nervous & self-conscious first time parents are, and how much more relaxed and carefree it is with the 2nd one. there is another very similar Luvs commercial that did the first kid/second kid thing, where in the first one the dad is holding a thermometer and reading the instructions on how to take rectal temp and is freaking out....for the "second kid" one the parent just casually puts her hand on the kid's forehead. I don't think it is knocking on parents who are "by the book" and use thermometers, or that it is trying to discourage parents from using them...just trying to show contrast in a funny way.

eta: i agree with wellyes, it's exaggerated both situations. with DD while i didnt' use a cover i sometimes stepped out of the room to nurse her (if it was a dinner party or something). i definitely wasn't as open as the mom in the 2nd scene :)

elizabethkott
09-18-2012, 09:20 AM
sorry you felt that way..i guess i didn't see it as critical of moms using a cover...i just thought it was just one of those things that illustrates how nervous & self-conscious first time parents are, and how much more relaxed and carefree it is with the 2nd one. there is another very similar Luvs commercial that did the first kid/second kid thing, where in the first one the dad is holding a thermometer and reading the instructions on how to take rectal temp and is freaking out....for the "second kid" one the parent just casually puts her hand on the kid's forehead. I don't think it is knocking on parents who are "by the book" and use thermometers, or that it is trying to discourage parents from using them.

Sorry you felt that way also. It wasn't my intention to make a distinction, criticize or mock anyone who bf's in any way that works for them. I also covered up - in my own home - when DS2 came home from the hospital because we had construction workers still traipsing around our house trying to complete the extension we were putting on, so I know wanting some sense of privacy.

kep
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Okay, I LOVE this commercial. So funny, and so true. Bawhahaha!

queenmama
09-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Sooo true! Love it!

nfowife
09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Love that!

amldaley
09-18-2012, 10:28 AM
sorry you felt that way..i guess i didn't see it as critical of moms using a cover...i just thought it was just one of those things that illustrates how nervous & self-conscious first time parents are, and how much more relaxed and carefree it is with the 2nd one. there is another very similar Luvs commercial that did the first kid/second kid thing, where in the first one the dad is holding a thermometer and reading the instructions on how to take rectal temp and is freaking out....for the "second kid" one the parent just casually puts her hand on the kid's forehead. I don't think it is knocking on parents who are "by the book" and use thermometers, or that it is trying to discourage parents from using them...just trying to show contrast in a funny way.

eta: i agree with wellyes, it's exaggerated both situations. with DD while i didnt' use a cover i sometimes stepped out of the room to nurse her (if it was a dinner party or something). i definitely wasn't as open as the mom in the 2nd scene :)

I did not find the ad insulting, it was the commentary in the article that I found trite. The ad was cute and effective.

iaam
09-18-2012, 10:31 AM
This is so great - thanks for sharing. Yes, both situations are probably exagerrated when compared with 'most' Moms but it still rang very true for me. I loved the facial expressions/dyanimics as well - so, so funny!

infomama
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
:jammin:Loved it

edurnemk
09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
So true! I still cover up with DD, but I'm lot less self conscious than the first couple of months with DS. With him I wouldn't nurse uncovered in front of ANYONE, now I only cover up in public places but feel perfectly ok whipping it out in front of my friends, my cleaning lady, at baby and me yoga... And with DS even with a cover I'd try to go to a more private corner, now I nurse wherever I am, even if I'm surrounded by DH's male friends (which also used to stress him out big time)

MamaMolly
09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Aw, I loved it! :applause:

trcy
09-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Loved it, thanks for sharing! With DD I don't think I ever NIP; would pump beforehand or go out to my car. I am really self-conscience; maybe if/when #2 comes along I will be better. I hope so anyway because it would be so much easier.

anonomom
09-18-2012, 12:10 PM
"She's already ordered." HA!

I love this ad.

Blue Hydrangea
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I love it too- funny! I've relaxed too, although not to that extent. With #1 I left the room, found a dressing room, or even took him out my car rather than nurse him in public, even with a cover.

Now with #2, if I have my 3-year-old with me, there's no way we're all going to a dressing room or the car to hang out until DD is done nursing. So now I nurse in public, but yes, still with a cover. But that's big progress for me!

twowhat?
09-18-2012, 12:50 PM
LOLOL!! So cute!!! She's already ordered :hysterical:

citymama
09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
I love the ad! In my case it was, first 2 months of BFing versus next several months. It was night and day. No more blankets and cover-ups. I learned to wear a cardi or hoodie and use that to cover up when she was latching on. By the second baby, I was what the nurses in the hospital called a "veteran" breastfeeder (and felt like a veteran too!). Nursed anywhere and any time. So cool that they ran this ad!

sntm
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Loved that! The actress was hilarious - "eyes up here"

AnnieW625
09-18-2012, 06:24 PM

This was me too almost to a T, although I didn't have to use a nipple shield. With DD1 I NIP 5-10 times with a blanket as a cover, but most of the time I was just more comfortable with a bottle. I hated nursing tanks as well as I hate shelf bras to begin with. I got a nursing cover from a BBB friend IRL gave me her old nursing cover. I l:heartbeat:ved it. I wish I would have known about nursing covers 4 yrs. earlier. Again did the bulk of the breast feeding during the summer. I see no harm in using a nursing cover, and AM you are right, it is about feeding your baby and not being cool while you are doing it.

citymama
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't think this or anything else mocks women who cover up. Good grief, we don't need another mommy war hot button issue! :dizzy: I think as with any "first child" "second child" spoof there would be things some of us did both times with no apologies. That's all there is to it. Not something I would read more into!

Liziz
09-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Super cute ad, thanks for sharing! DD's my first and I'm comfortable NIP, but I always use a cover. Besides, for the past couple months, every time DD hears a noise while nursing, she yanks her head around to check it out (if I'm lucky she unlatches herself first, but you never know...ouch) .... so NIP without a cover these days would be a MAJOR show for anyone near us! : )