PDA

View Full Version : When did they move Christmas?

katerinasmom
09-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I was early for my train home last night so I walked through KMart to pass the time. They had three full rows of Christmas decorations out including at least a dozen full size decorated trees. I realize that layaway at KMart requires some advance planning but unless the elves are going to handle back to school shopping, please let me get through September first.

TwoBees
09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
please let me get through September first.

Please let me get through Thanksgiving!! Or at least Halloween!!!

Melaine
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
That really does seem earlier than even the early stocking that is typical!

vonfirmath
09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I know folks who have started planning for Christmas. We have even started collecting for Operation Christmas Child at church.
They are just trying to capture the customers.

janine
09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Yup saw Xmas decorations at the store yesterday.

Going by the shelves, apparently Halloween is almost over and Chrismas is around the corner.

kijip
09-18-2012, 12:52 PM
One of these years yet, it's gonna have to start in January or something. Drives me insane. Planning for Christmas? Fine. I am collecting wool sweaters for upcycled wool quilting for a present already. Decking the halls of stores in August? Not fine. Consumer culture undermines the importance IMO. No wonder so many see the holiday as a stressful, disappointing time.

lhafer
09-18-2012, 01:39 PM
And the thing that really gets me - zero last minute shopping for Holiday stuff anymore (halloween, thanksgiving, christmas, etc). Way back when I remember they used to have awesome after holiday sales. Not anymore.

A couple of years ago, it was a couple of weeks before Christmas and I needed some more Christmas lights. I had waited because we closed on our house a week or 2 before Christmas and I didn't want to have to move a bunch of Christmas decorations. I couldn't find ANY ANYWHERE!! Every single store was out, with no plans on restocking any!! Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. I was so mad!! My house looked so grinchy that year.

vonfirmath
09-18-2012, 02:32 PM
And the thing that really gets me - zero last minute shopping for Holiday stuff anymore (halloween, thanksgiving, christmas, etc). Way back when I remember they used to have awesome after holiday sales. Not anymore.

From the store's perspective? This is GREAT! They lost money on those sales (and also lost money storing stuff for a year). Thye'd rather sell out before.

ett
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
I can't remember which store it was but I saw the Christmas stuff out already in August. It is getting a little ridiculous; I really don't want to be thinking of Christmas when it's 90 degrees outside.