PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a great rewards credit card

fedoragirl
09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
We are tired of our current one. They do nothing to earn our business and keep it. So, we're in the market for a new credit card. I'd prefer something with a rewards system like our current one and no annual fee.
When I searched online, almost every web site recommended the same bank (Capital One) and I wasn't sure if it was an advertising gimmick or whether it was truly rated as a good card.
Do you have one you can recommend?
ETA: We do all our shopping online so one that uses rewards based on restaurants etc. won't be of any use to us.

eh613c
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
I love my Blue from American Express. The only downside is the APR but shouldn't matter if you're paying in full every month.

misshollygolightly
09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
We have some sort of Chase Visa that has worked really well for us. The points accumulate quickly and are redeemable for useful giftcards (it seems like Target, Starbucks, and Home Depot are perennial options, as well as some restaurant and hotel ones). PM me if you want to know more--I'll have to look it up to see which one it is, exactly.

azazela
09-18-2012, 01:10 PM
I really like our Discover card. We use it for everything and rack up points pretty quickly. You can click through them when you shop online and get % back like with ebates. Then you can redeem your points for gift cards and get additional $ when you pay $40 for a $50 gc for example. It's pretty awesome!

lhafer
09-18-2012, 01:34 PM
We have a Chase Sapphire card which we use for everything and it has been good - use mainly for airfare. We also use a Hilton Honors Amex (switched from Blue) and it has also been awesome. We have used points from this card on multiple trips and the points have paid for our rooms.

stefani
09-18-2012, 01:47 PM
We signed up for Capital One because of the cash back and no foreign transaction fee. If you travel overseas, and use credit cards, foreign transaction fee is about 3%, so no small amount.

weech
09-18-2012, 01:58 PM
We have a Capital One card as well... IIRC, DH said we get 2% back on everything? He gets statement credits for travel, which I think pays more than straight cash rebates.

nfceagles
09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I love my Chase Amazon Visa. I accrue rewards with Amazon. 3% on Amazon purchases I think, 2% on dining, gas, and groceries, 1% on everything else. What I like the most is that the rewards just show up in my Amazon account and I can just check a box and enter an amount to use them to pay for Amazon purchases. No getting coupons in the mail or ordering gift cards. I also get rewards on an ongoing basis, or said another way, I don't have to wait to reach some threshhold. Amazon credits are as good as cash to me so it works.

llama8
09-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I use a Capital One cashback rewards credit card. There is no fee or gimmick, you get % cashback on what you spend. I have gotten over 2,000 dollars over the past 3-4 years. We charge everything and rack up the money. Not sure what the APR is cause I don't carry a balance. I assume it is not great. I like that they mail me a check and you are not forced to redeem them for certificates, but they have those options too.

logan's mom
09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I love my Discover Card. I shop through their website to get additional cashback. They also have special cashback rates for periods of time....for 3 months, you got 5% cashback on gas.

Their customer service is also awesome. They reversed my late payment fee when I forgot about it because we moved, and another time when I just forgot...and probably a couple other times ; )

Like PP said, you can use your cashback to buy giftcards at a reduced rate, get cash, or even it your cashback directly at Amazon.

They also have a refer-a-friend program where you can get $50 cashback for being referred/referring.

candaceb
09-18-2012, 10:00 PM
USAA Cash Rewards. For USAA insurance, you have to have a military connection but the credit cards are available to people without the regular USAA membership. We would rather get cash back than mess with points.

american_mama
09-18-2012, 10:51 PM
We switchtedto Amex Blue Preferred last year for rewards. It has a $75 annual fee, waived the first year, but you earn 6% cash back on groceries, 3% back on gas and dept stores, and 1% on everything else. You claim the money in a balance credit or can buy items with it like gifts cards, products. We got over $600 this year. I made a chart last year of the most promising offers and decided the Amex was the best, even with the annual fee. In fact, I believe I predicted earning almost this exact amount.

Before I got it, I called my local groceyr stores and they all took Amex. I do still keep a no-fee Mastercard, but I've been surprised that 85-90% of places take Amex. I don't think I've encountered any mainstream gas station that didn't take it. Sam's Club does not.

If you have a Costco membership, I think there is even a better Amex card for you.

Loos like Amex Blue Cash Everyday earns 3%, 2%, and 1% with no annual fee.
http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/side-by-side/bluecashever-bluecashpref/28000

When I did a search last year, Capital One came up a lot as did Pentagon Federal Credit Union (their website tells you how to get it wihtout being a military or DoD employee). they're legit.

liz
09-19-2012, 07:04 AM
When I did a search last year, Capital One came up a lot as did Pentagon Federal Credit Union (their website tells you how to get it wihtout being a military or DoD employee). they're legit.

I have the Pentagon Federal CC. They changed the cash back system last year, now you get points to buy gift cards and they lowered the amount you can earn. Still not a bad card, but I think you can do better. hth

knaidel
09-19-2012, 09:48 AM
We switchtedto Amex Blue Preferred last year for rewards. It has a $75 annual fee, waived the first year, but you earn 6% cash back on groceries, 3% back on gas and dept stores, and 1% on everything else. You claim the money in a balance credit or can buy items with it like gifts cards, products. We got over $600 this year. I made a chart last year of the most promising offers and decided the Amex was the best, even with the annual fee. In fact, I believe I predicted earning almost this exact amount.

We also have this one. We do really well at the grocery store on this one! :) we get cash back in increments of $25, directly to our account. I also have a visa card through my bank for places that don't take amex.

georgiegirl
09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
We have a Costco Amex. I can't remember the %, but we get a check to Costco that you can get cash back on at the store. (I will have a check for $200 and buy something at Costco for $10 then they give me $190 back in cash).