PDA

View Full Version : More b-day questions

Melaine
09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
So, I tried to steer the girls towards a destination birthday party. No go. It was really clear they wanted some friends.

So I am thinking something REALLY casual, like a drop-in park playdate type party. Is there a way I can say that it is NOT a drop-off party without being rude? How do I phrase it? I am thinking about having bottled water and cupcakes or cake and maybe juice boxes for the kids and that would be it. I would be fine with providing cupcakes for siblings if I just can get RSVPs....Honestly, even if I have to make 100 cupcakes that would be fine.

Is it ok to somehow politely indicate "no drop-offs" without coming right out and saying it? I just don't feel comfortable with a bunch of kids I don't know at an outdoor venue like this. Should I just say "your family is invited" does that make it clear enough?

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
How old will they be again? 4? 5?

Melaine
09-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Turning 6, but it's 5K....so most of the kids are younger.

twowhat?
09-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe "XXX and an accompanying adult(s) are invited.... Siblings welcome!" I think you really have to just make it clear that it's no drop-off.

ett
09-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Around here the birthday parties are all drop offs at age 5 so if I needed an adult to stay, I would have to explicitly write "no drop offs". DS2's 5th birthday party was at a bowling alley this year and there were only 2 parents that stayed out of 12.

I think wording it like "xxx and an accompanying adult and siblings are invited" still implies to me that it's optional for the adult and siblings to stay. Better to make it clear on the invite than to throw the parent off guard when they drop off.

twowhat?
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Around here the birthday parties are all drop offs at age 5 so if I needed an adult to stay, I would have to explicitly write "no drop offs". DS2's 5th birthday party was at a bowling alley this year and there were only 2 parents that stayed out of 12.

I think wording it like "xxx and an accompanying adult and siblings are invited" still implies to me that it's optional for the adult and siblings to stay. Better to make it clear on the invite than to throw the parent off guard when they drop off.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. And I really just can't imagine dropping my girls off at a bowling alley bday party at 5 years old!!! I just can't! How does the bday child's parent deal with several 5 yos in a not-exactly-enclosed space?

Melaine
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah, there is no way I would do a drop-off with families we aren't very close to. This is giving me a headache.

maestramommy
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Aren't your girls under 5? I have a hard time dropping off my kid before that age. Heck the first time I literally dropped Dora off at a party was this spring, she's 6. Wouldn't it be assumed the parents would stay?

ETA, sorry just read your newest post. If you think it's going to be drop off, keep it small and simple. State it plainly if you have to. But around here no one assumes siblings are included unless specifically stated. I can't remember if you ever posted about your living situation. Any chance you can do it at your house?

ett
09-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that too. And I really just can't imagine dropping my girls off at a bowling alley bday party at 5 years old!!! I just can't! How does the bday child's parent deal with several 5 yos in a not-exactly-enclosed space?

It was a very small bowling alley and we took up half the lanes so it was pretty enclosed. But there was one child that kept running to the bathroom any time a child went so I did have to constantly keep an eye out for him. Overall it wasn't too bad because we had several adults there, but it was very very loud.

AnnieW625
09-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Address the invitation to the _____ family, which makes it slam dunk that parents will stay. If someone asks if it is drop off say no, I would prefer not. I wouldn't put that on the invite, but that is just me.

The first party I took DD1 to that was a drop off party was at someone's house and she was 5/1/2 (the girl was turning 6) and the mom had a lot of help (her mom, two nieces, and some other parents were going to stay). I gave the option for drop off for DD1's 6th birthday and about half stayed and half left. It was fine.

DietCokeLover
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
What about an insert in the invitation with a map to the park, and underneath it something like this....
"Since this park is a public facility that will likely have other individuals, as well as our party, we kindly ask that one parent stays to help with supervision. And hey, we'd love to vist with you too!"

MommyAllison
09-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Are parties in your area drop off? Drop off parties didn't start til age 6 in my area, and even then it depends on the party. I agree that addressing the invite to the xxxxx family should work.