PDA

View Full Version : What is this new Mr. Rogers

Melaine
09-18-2012, 01:56 PM
cartoon on PBS? It is tripping me out! A little lion is singing the goodbye song he always sang and behind him on the shelf are all of the models from the neighborhood of make believe. I have never seen this.

DietCokeLover
09-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Daniel Tigers Neighborhood

Melaine
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Ahhhh you are right. http://theweek.com/article/index/232804/daniel-tigers-neighborhood-can-a-cartoon-animal-replace-mr-rogers

I miss the real Mr. Roger's.

wellyes
09-18-2012, 02:01 PM
My daughter loves it. It is in the spirit of Mr Rogers and was clearly approved by his estate, or whoever owns that show.

I believe Daniel Tiger is Daniel Striped Tiger's son?

I think it's sweet. But between that and the Ben Folds Five Fraggle Rock video, it is definitely a flashback week around here.

I miss the real Mr. Roger's.

I agree with you. This is a nice little show, but Fred Rogers was something really really special. As far as I know, there is no adult who just says kind and encouraging things to kids on TV these days.

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2012, 02:10 PM
We really like this show. It's cute. :)

AnnieW625
09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still nothing like the original.

maestramommy
09-18-2012, 02:29 PM
It's probably a good thing I can't see this show; I'd end up crying over the old Mr. Rogers. Anyone see that mashup of him with the song "Garden of your mind?" when they showed him playing with paper chains I just started bawling.

There's no one like him.

Melaine
09-18-2012, 02:32 PM
It's probably a good thing I can't see this show; I'd end up crying over the old Mr. Rogers. Anyone see that mashup of him with the song "Garden of your mind?" when they showed him playing with paper chains I just started bawling.

There's no one like him.

YES! I saw this on youtube. It was funny but still kind of sweet.

Absolutely no one like him.

american_mama
09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I find it interesting that DH loved Mr. Rogers too. DH is African-American, grew up in with a young single mom who worked long hours in a working class job. There weren't a lot of men wearing ties around. He sometimes lived in his grandmother's house in a somewhat close-knit neighborhood, but sometimes lived in apartment complexes. So not a lot like Mr. Roger's house or coming home process, yet he still loved Mr. Rogers, didn't find it hard to relate.

My father was not like Mr. Rogers in personality, but they both had dark hair worn in a similar style, my dad did always wear a tie, and did always change clothes as soon as he came home. That coming home ritual was a daily institution in our family, and I used to think Mr. Rogers was my dad/like my dad, even though as soon as he talked, they were clearly very different.

What about you? Was it easy to relate to Mr. Rogers even if his house/looks/mannerisms/rituals were very different than you life?

maestramommy
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
:rotflmao:No my dad was not like Mr. Rogers in personality. Maybe a little in style, though my dad didn't wear the cardigan.

when I think back to the show, the parts I loved were the neighborhood of make believe (that was a like a soap to me!), and the outings he had. I also clearly remember once when he got a parking ticket and was really mad. And talked about what you can do when you're really mad. I also loved his little "how are these things made" videos.

True story. The Stonyfield plant is local to us and they do a little kids presentation. It includes a short video on how yogurt is made there, or rather how it was made 15 years ago:tongue5: Guess who's in the video? Yup, it was one of Mr. Rogers' "how is it made?" videos. He worked with Stonyfield on it.

marymoo86
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
My daughter loves it. It is in the spirit of Mr Rogers and was clearly approved by his estate, or whoever owns that show.

I believe Daniel Tiger is Daniel Striped Tiger's son?

I think it's sweet. But between that and the Ben Folds Five Fraggle Rock video, it is definitely a flashback week around here.

I agree with you. This is a nice little show, but Fred Rogers was something really really special. As far as I know, there is no adult who just says kind and encouraging things to kids on TV these days.

He delivered the commencement address at my college graduation. We all sang at the end of his speech :)