PDA

View Full Version : Making headbands?

ArizonaGirl
09-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I know that there was a thread recently (Melaine, I think) that talked about using FOE to make hair-ties, but I was hoping to make headbands for my newest addition :D

Anyone have any experience with this, or with any other type of do-it-yourself headbands.

Thanks

Blue Hydrangea
09-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm planning on using FOE for headbands for my baby girl too. If you search for the on etsy, you can by them in lots of different colors for rather cheaply. I ended up finding a few sets at Walmart of pre-made FOE and also elastic lace headbands in the baby dept that fit her for now, and they were only $3 for 6 different colors.

I also bought "sample" packs of FOE from etsy sellers, since I only needed a yard of each color, it worked out more cheaply this way. When my baby outgrows her current headbands, I'll make her new ones like the ones on etsy. You take a length of FOE that fits around her head, then sew it together where it joins, raw ends sticking up, smooth side of the seam facing her head. Next, take a couple inches of matching FOE, wrap around perpendicularily to the seam of the headband to cover the seam and create a loop. You can then use this loop for adding matching flowers or bows that are attached to small aligator clips. Clip the bow on the loop and you're done. I bought my clips at Hobby Lobby, but you can probably find them in the jewelry section of any craft store.

ArizonaGirl
09-18-2012, 05:13 PM
How do you know how long to make the elastic cut, I obviously want them to fit now, but it would be nice if they fit for awhile, IYKWIM

Blue Hydrangea
09-19-2012, 11:24 AM
You can peruse etsy sellers for sizing ideas too: Here's an example that I've been using:

13 inches for newborn
14 1/2 inches for 3-6 months
15 1/2 inches for 6-18 months
16 1/2 inches for 18 months to girl
17 inches for pre-teen
18 inches for adults