PDA

View Full Version : Update in OP-Difficulty making adult friends

PunkyBoo
09-18-2012, 06:56 PM
UPDATE- I emailed D this morning to thank her for her help. I commented that I didn't realjze she's only been here a couple of weeks longer than I have and asked about her son's soccer team. I then asked her if she'd like to have lunch. She responded, it turns out her son playsfor the same league as Punkin but one age group higher. She said yes we should have lunch next week. :) Thanks for your encouragement!

I've read those recent articles about how hard it is to make friends as a grown-up. I agree. I have made a couple of new friends at my new job, and I like them, but we are at different phases in our lives so we have fun but can't really relate (one is 12 yrs younger than me and not married, one is a grandmother to kids around the same age as my kids and was a single mom).

I met a woman I'll call D recently who works in a different department and on a different floor of the building. She helped me figure some stuff out that I needed from her department. My grandmother-friend told me that D is about the same age as me and has a son about the same age as Punkin who plays soccer in a competitive league (as does Punkin). I think she and I may have some things in common and I'd like to get to know her. I ran into her in the elevator yesterday and I said "Hey I hear you have a son in soccer?" She answered "yes, you too?" but just then I had to get out of the elevator to my floor. So I nodded and she said "we should talk!"

So I need advice how to approach her without seeming dorky or awkward or stalker-ish. I don't need anything from her department right now so I don't have a work excuse. Is it weird to just email her to ask if she wants to have lunch together sometime?

infocrazy
09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
You could make it a thank you for your help lunch. Really though, she left the door open already for you since she said we should talk. I think it would be fine.

liz
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
You could make it a thank you for your help lunch. Really though, she left the door open already for you since she said we should talk. I think it would be fine.

:yeahthat: good luck!

GaPeach_in_Ca
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Is it weird to just email her to ask if she wants to have lunch together sometime?

No. Sounds perfect. :thumbsup:

The way to make friends is to put yourself out there. Invite people to do things. Be available if you are asked to do something. Be friendly to everyone.

eh613c
09-18-2012, 08:05 PM

I like this idea too!

mackmama
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
I've read those recent articles about how hard it is to make friends as a grown-up. I agree. I have made a couple of new friends at my new job, and I like them, but we are at different phases in our lives so we have fun but can't really relate (one is 12 yrs younger than me and not married, one is a grandmother to kids around the same age as my kids and was a single mom).

I met a woman I'll call D recently who works in a different department and on a different floor of the building. She helped me figure some stuff out that I needed from her department. My grandmother-friend told me that D is about the same age as me and has a son about the same age as Punkin who plays soccer in a competitive league (as does Punkin). I think she and I may have some things in common and I'd like to get to know her. I ran into her in the elevator yesterday and I said "Hey I hear you have a son in soccer?" She answered "yes, you too?" but just then I had to get out of the elevator to my floor. So I nodded and she said "we should talk!"

So I need advice how to approach her without seeming dorky or awkward or stalker-ish. I don't need anything from her department right now so I don't have a work excuse. Is it weird to just email her to ask if she wants to have lunch together sometime?

I don't think it'd be strange at all to just email her or call her and ask her to lunch. She'll probably be glad/relieved that you took the initiative!

KDsMommy
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Do you have instant messaging at work? I find that to be more casual than email so I would use that if you do. I often forge good relationships with people at work over IM as it's relatively natural to chat that way.

hellokitty
09-18-2012, 09:45 PM
If she works at the same building as you, why not have coffee or lunch together?

PunkyBoo
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Updated in op.

mackmama
09-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Woo hoo! Great job :)