PDA

View Full Version : What stroller(s) do I need for twins?

mommyoftwo
09-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I realized that's a very broad question so let me narrow it down a bit. With Amelia we had an inexpensive safety first maybe? stroller that was fairly lightweight and allowed us to attach her car seat. It was actually a great little stroller for the price and served us well. We still have it somewhere. With Linnea we hardly used a stroller at all for the first couple years because she was always being worn by one of us. When she got big enough that she wanted to ride in a stroller we mostly used a duoglide which I hated but was all we could afford. I never spent a lot of time researching strollers with them because we couldn't afford them anyway.

Fast forward 7 years and my husband is done with residency and a practicing general surgeon and we are pregnant with twins. I had assumed that I would mostly be babywearing and stroller wouldn't be a big issue but obviously having twins makes it a whole different ball game. I can afford to get what I want but would rather not go over $1,000 which seems like an insane amount to spend on a stroller or two but the little research I've done makes me realize that it's pretty easy to spend that much money. We live in a small town and our neighborhood still has all of it's cobblestone streets. We will need something for indoors like the mall and doctor's appts but I'm expecting that much more of the use will be outside.

In theory at least I like the idea of bassinets, a boot to cover them in cool/cold weather, and the flexibility to have them face towards us or away. I have very petite kids so weight limits will not be a factor at all. I am assuming that I will prefer a side by side at least for when they are little. I like the idea of one stroller meeting all of our needs as they grow if basically being the one stroller that we get until we are done but I realize that there really isn't such a thing as one stroller for all needs. I don't particularly want to lug a huge heavy stroller everywhere we go so getting a smaller lightweight umbrella style stroller makes sense for when they are a little older and don't need a full recline.

Finally, we will have 4 kids so anything we get must be able to fit in the back of our town & country van without the third seat being down. I haven't picked out car seats for sure but we know that babies will be preemies (we are hoping to make it to 34 weeks but I'm having all kinds of complications) and it seems like most people like the keyfit 30 best for preemies. From the little reading I've done, I've discovered that many strollers are not compatible with those seats. While trying to read threads and get up to speed about all of this, I came across the valco baby spark duo which looks pretty amazing and according to their facebook page will be compatible with the keyfit when they release the car seat adaptors later this year. There are other possible car seats and the stroller will be used long after they are out of their infant seats but if I can find a great stroller that works with the keyfit that would be my ideal solution.

Oh, one more thing. I still plan on babywearing when I can and obviously a single stroller is much easier to push than a double so should I be looking for a single stroller as well for when I wear one baby? I'll have to up my budget I would assume if I do that but it's more important for me to figure out what will work best to help me deal with both babies by myself while out and about. If you think that would be a wise idea, let me know what my best options are since I haven't looked at single strollers at all in years.

I was really trying hard to sort out all of the options and keep all of the abbreviations straight in my head so I could come with a bunch of intelligent informed questions, but I'm finding it a bit overwhelming to try to figure all of this out at once. So I'm going to really on all you stroller experts to help me sort out my options. It's been a long day and I'm exhausted so I apologize if this is rambly and doesn't make sense. Feel free to ask for clarification.

roseyloxs
09-19-2012, 04:04 AM
I would look into the mountain buggy duet (MB duet). It has air tires, is a side by side but is only 25" wide which is the width of most singles. It has a large fold but maybe it could fit standing up, that's something you will want to test out before buying (or buy from someone with free returns). The Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double (BJCMGTD or BJCMD GT) will have a good fold but won't be as AT friendly as the MB duet. The spark is definitely worth looking at since it has the reversible seats and includes bassinets.

For a single. I am guessing you would use a single for indoor use more often so I might get something specifically car friendly like a bugaboo bee(bee+) or baby jogger versa(BJ Versa).

todzwife
09-19-2012, 08:58 AM
I love the look of the Valco Spark.

SammyeGail
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
My twins are older, there are much more options out now. Buying a stroller that would grow with them was appealing but this is what we did:

Double snap-n-go universal, most carseats fit in it with the adjustment bars. The twins were born in November, it was great because we didn't have to move them out of their carseats to a separate stroller. They could stay snuggled in their blankets, etc. It was also great when one or both of them were asleep, moving from stroller to car, we could then take them into the house in their carseats.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Universal-Snap-N-Go-Stroller/dp/B008U4MKU6/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1348064788&sr=1-2&keywords=double+snap+n+go+stroller+frame

We later bought a combi side-by-side. It had great reviews, good price, huge plus is that it folded up the most compact of any other double strollers we saw. We had a sedan at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Twin-Sport-Double-Stroller/dp/B001LXDIFO/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

My twins were aprx. 4.5lbs at birth. After they left the NICU, we had to keep them as warm at home as they were there, our heat was set on 89 degrees. We were able to lower it after about a month. That first month we didn't feel comfortable taking them out. Just my experience......

O/T but a huge recommendation for twins: Boppy infant head support

http://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Infant-Toddler-Head-Support/dp/B006UDLXGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348065392&sr=8-2&keywords=boppy+head+noggin

I personally recommend this because being preemies mine slept alot. One of my sons developed Plagiocephaly by 6 weeks old, we did all we could to keep him off the back of his head once it started to show, we ended up getting a corrective helmet anyway. Worked great!

Take the best care of yourself as you can, I had alot of problems too.

ckelly
09-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Stroll Air My Duo is another option. Or I've heard the City Select is great for twins (not so much for kids of different ages) and makes a great single. Or get the donkey...just cause you can ;)

mommyoftwo
09-19-2012, 08:49 PM
I thought about getting the snap n go for quick trips like to the doctor's office but I keep reading about how hard they are to push and maneuver. Is it really that bad? I would love to find a used one but we live in a little town in the country and the closest larger city is an hour away. I've been checking craig's list there but I'm only seeing singles. Is it really worth it to spend $100 on it if it doesn't get much use.

I'm still looking at things but I really love the spark. There are two things i'm concerned about though. First, the car seat adaptor is not coming out until January and I will have the babies in December. Also, there is no snack tray and as far as I know there are no plans to make one as an accessory. I know there are universal snack tray attachments you can buy but it's obviously not the same thing as a hard plastic tray. Have any of you found that to be a problem? I did find the dimensions of the stroller when folded up and it should be no problem to fit it in the back of the van.

I'm intrigued by the mountain buggy but it would be more expensive than the spark by quite a bit if I bought bassinets. I notice it also does not have a snack tray. Is that common with nicer double strollers? Prior to this I assumed most non-jogging strollers had them.

I really wish there was some place I could go and try these things out in person, but we would have to go to chicago to do it and that's not exactly compatible with being on bed rest.

ETA: The stroll air my duo is also intriguing. I need to figure out how important it is to me to have the bassinet feature. I hate having the spend so much extra on that feature.

hoodlims
09-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Bugaboo Donkey? Can be a single or double, can use bassinets, can be rear or forward facing, can add board for your other child if necessary (I think).

JessK87
09-19-2012, 10:08 PM
My friend is pregnant with twins and we have been researching like crazy for the best options for her. She decided she needed two strollers one inline stroller and one side by side stroller. She fell in love with the Icandy peach blossom for her inline. It is a DREAM to push and is beautiful but the fold complicated. You can stack two bassinets and both the seats recline all the way flat. For her side by side she went with the Bugaboo Donkey. Expensive but after much talk to parents with twins it seems to be worth it. She went with the cybex aton car seats that fit with adapters on both of the strollers.
Good Luck!

Jennifer626
09-19-2012, 11:04 PM
I've owned something like 7 strollers.

If I was having twins, I would buy a Bugaboo Donkey. It's about $1500 to get everything, but I see them selling on eBay for $1200 used, so you'd get a lot of money back when you go to sell it.

mommyoftwo
09-19-2012, 11:57 PM
While we could afford to get the Donkey, the mere mention of the price just about caused my husband to faint so that one is definitely out. He has a hard time thinking long term about resale value and what may end up being a better deal in the long run. He also really liked the valco baby spark duo so we are leaning towards getting that one. That will require us to have some sort of option to be able to quickly attach the carseats to a stroller since the car seat adaptor bar won't be coming out until January. We may end up using the double snap n go for those first couple of months while we go to the doctor etc after all. Are there any other better options for something like that? He also likes the keyfit 30 carseat so unless there is a compelling reason not to, those are the seats we will be getting.

ETA: I really like the sterling color of the spark but I'm wondering how much it would show the dirt. I hate to worry about resale value before I've even gotten it but I suppose it is a factor plus I would really be annoyed if the stroller constantly looked dirty. Black is just so darn boring though. Any thoughts?

roseyloxs
09-20-2012, 05:15 AM
The spark and a snap n go sound like a nice combo. I was looking at the spark for a long time and I was leaning towards the sterling as well. I am not a black fan either. I haven't seen the spark in person but I owned a very old valco and it had nice, easy to clean fabric. If you want to be safe though you can get the black and then invest in some colorful seat liners (http://shop.valcobaby.com/products/productdetail/part_number=All%20Sorts/4360.0.1.1). Of course that adds to the cost and accessories don't really keep as much resale value as we would like.

As for snack trays... I wouldn't worry about it. The only stroller I had with a snack tray was my original baby trend travel system and it was so high up that is was basically unusable. I took it off and never looked back. None of my nicer strollers have one and we have never missed it. Snack cups work just as well. There are cheap tethers you can buy that will attach the snack cup to the frame so they can't fall on the ground. We don't eat a lot in our strollers though. If my kids get hungry we usually just stop for a meal or have a snack at a bench or park.