PDA

View Full Version : Gene sequencing..would you do it?

infomama
09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I find this fascinating. I'm kind of torn on it. Of course knowing I was at risk for Diabetes or Cancer without any risk factors would be good information but as Watson chose...would I really *want* to know if I was going to get Alzheimer's?
Take a listen/read
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/09/19/160955379/scientists-see-upside-and-downside-of-sequencing-their-own-genes

lizzywednesday
09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure.

I'll admit, I'm curious, but I think I'd obsess over it too much.

What would I do with the information? Would it change my outlook on the rest of my life? Would it impact how I made other decisions?

If, say, the form of ALS my grandpa has is genetic, do I really "need" to know? (FWIW, it's not usually genetic. I think it's only 1-5% of all ALS cases. It actually hits veterans of the Armed Services more frequently than the general population & is considered a service-related condition with treatment covered by VA benefits.)

If I've got one of the genetic markers for Alzheimer's, which killed my mom's maternal grandmother, do I "need" to know?

What purpose does it serve? There's a reason why there's a "don't tell so much about the future" cliche in time-travel stories - the knowledge of X, Y, or Z, no matter how miniscule, tends to change the course of history. (Just look at what happens with Biff in Back to the Future Part II.)

cvanbrunt
09-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Genomics is so cool! It's going to be an essential tool in tailoring treatments to individuals and there is a push in pharma to find ways to quickly identify which drugs are best for which patients. I just don't trust insurance companies. They will find a way to use genetic information to deny coverage. I'd do it only if it were useful in defining a treatment for a disease that was already diagnosed.

infomama
09-19-2012, 08:55 AM
What would I do with the information? Would it change my outlook on the rest of my life? Would it impact how I made other decisions?

Not sure if you read the article but one person who was sequenced learned he was at risk for Diabetes and he had NO risk factors. They monitored him and sure enough he developed diabetes. They watched this happen in real time. Crazy.
That would be information I could use.

AngB
09-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Not sure if you read the article but one person who was sequenced learned he was at risk for Diabetes and he had NO risk factors. They monitored him and sure enough he developed diabetes. They watched this happen in real time. Crazy.

I might want to know cancer, not diabetes, not ALS. I had gestational diabetes (really mild and went away completely and didn't get it with my current pregnancy) with DS1, so I already know I'm at higher risk for getting diabetes. It's such a PITA, I'd much enjoy eating carbs for as long as possible before I had to deal with all that crap.

Globetrotter
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
I recently got tested for some markers, nothing as fancy as this but it was still rudimentary genetic testing based on some blood tests. I am the one who brought it up out of curiosity - don't know what I was thinking - and it turns out I do have a genetic tendency for AI disease. The good thing is, if I get symptoms I will know how to recognize them and seek treatment early (and my PCP is now on alert). OTOH, someone like me who is prone to health anxiety probably shouldn't have done this, as I am going through something that is probably very innocent, but the AI link is now embedded in my head as a possible cause.

Like he said, it may happen in 5, 10, 15 years.. or NEVER! All this means is I have a genetic tendency. It is not a prediction! No point changing my life over it, but in my case early tx could make a big difference IF I develop one of these illnesses. Neither is life-threatening if treated.

I would only want to know if there was something I could do to PREVENT it or if early treatment makes a difference.

lizzywednesday
09-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Genomics is so cool! It's going to be an essential tool in tailoring treatments to individuals and there is a push in pharma to find ways to quickly identify which drugs are best for which patients. I just don't trust insurance companies. They will find a way to use genetic information to deny coverage. I'd do it only if it were useful in defining a treatment for a disease that was already diagnosed.

They can't; the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), passed in 2008 is designed to prevent the underlined from happening.

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_Information_Nondiscrimination_Act

Actual text of statute: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-110publ233/html/PLAW-110publ233.htm

lizzywednesday
09-19-2012, 02:42 PM

I will go back and read the article; I hadn't when I'd typed my post.

If, after reading the article, I change my questions, I will come back to this thread with a new post with my new thoughts. Scout's honor.