PDA

View Full Version : Need new sofa; update #16! Is it an overkill looking at this set?

SammyeGail
09-19-2012, 10:04 AM
We are in desperate need of a new sofa. This one is 5.5 yrs old. The boys will be 7 soon, the couch and loveseat show it. I don't think I would even give them to goodwill.

We went searching on Labor Day weekend. DH was interested in a dura-leather, after I searched online it got poor reviews for cracking after 2-3 yrs.

I ran across a bonded-leather sofa, it was so soft and beautiful. The price was decent. I researched bonded leather, same thing, scratches show and cracking after a few years.

Last Sat. we looked in a different furniture store, they showed us the microfiber and chenille. The boys got rowdy so we only looked a few minutes. Talking about it DH said he couldn't believe it was really that durable, being so soft. Internet search reviews are across the spectrum on microfiber but it seems more durable than chenille.

What I've read about microfiber and bonded leather on search of reviews are a bit dated, 2006-2009.

I don't know how common sunbrella is, anyone have it?

I don't know if technology of microfiber or bonded leather has improved, anyone have feedback for these fabrics?

Yes, we tried very much to get the boys to have no drinks, snacks, etc on the sofas, DH and I both caved and eventually gave up.

I would love real leather, its not in our budget right now.

Thanks!

MSWR0319
09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
we have had a Smith Brothers microfiber couch for about 6 years. When we bought it, they told us it was the easiest to clean and would last the longest. We originally wanted leather too, but decided against it. At the time we had a 95 lb lab with blonde hair that was constantly shedding. My couch could look like a dog on any given day. We've since had DS who is almost 4. The couch has been through the ringer. Between the dog hair, breast milk (from spilling while pumping), and food stains (we try not to eat there, but it does happen) that couch still looks brand new. It is the easiest to clean. I've even been able to get dried on mustard out of it with just a wet cloth. All I've ever done is use a damp rag to wipe it off and it looks like it did the day we bought it. I can't say enough good things about it and am so glad we went with the microfiber. Now I don't know if there are different types of microfiber or if it depends what manufacturer you go with, but I'm in love with the stuff! I will get bored with this couch before it wears out on us.

lhafer
09-19-2012, 10:12 AM
We've had a couple of couches that were microfiber and loved them. Get them scotchguarded and they will hold up. We've had everything on our couches from wine and blood to pee and vomit and it never stained - it all just wiped up with a damp cloth. I have a 6yr old 2.5 yr old so it sees a lot of wear.

7pages
09-19-2012, 10:12 AM
My last two couches have been fabric. Just be careful not to pick one with a loop that can get snagged on stuff. If you ask for the rub test rating, it will tell you how durable a fabric is and you can compare them that way as well. And obviously choose a color that is forgiving.
I did have a leather couch for a while and I liked it but I didn't like that it felt so cold initially when you sat on it.

squimp
09-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Natuzzi leather. I purchased one in 1999 and it still looks terrific. I know you said no leather but it was worth every penny. We have cats and they did scratch a few times but shoe polish and then buffing totally works. I have always heard that hair sticks to microfiber, so I've never looked into that.

JElaineB
09-19-2012, 10:31 AM
I bought a leather La-z-boy couch about two years ago and I don't like it. I prefer microfiber, like our previous couch. It is much more comfortable to me. I just purchased a recliner to put in the living room along with the couch and opted for a microfiber rather than matching the leather.

MamaMolly
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
We have friends who's bonded leather flakes brown dandruff like stuff in less than 2 years of owning it. It is horrible. I do NOT recommend it!

marymoo86
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I worked for a furniture for a few years part time. Microfiber is very good durability wise in terms of the fabric. Of course construction of the frame and seat cushions matter just as well. I love our leather sofa but I was able to get it at cost and has worn well and looks almost new except for some wrinkling on the seatback cushions. I don't remember the type of leather but the entire sofa is leather and not a leather/vinyl combo.

If you are looking at leather, Lane makes a good product for all leather in their stationary sofa line.

Things to consider with microfiber are static and pet hair. Very good at repelling stains with quick clean ups.

ETA - forgot to mention that with microfiber the fibers can rub/brush in opposite directions kind of like velvet so be aware if that may bug you

AnnieW625
09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I do not like my microfiber couch. I wish I would have gotten leather or even chenille. I can't keep the microfiber clean at all.

edurnemk
09-19-2012, 11:30 AM
We have a microfiber sectonal sofa in the family room, DS really abuses it and now DD has spit up on it a few times. We just washed it and it looks like new again, it's very easy to clean. We didn't get it scotchgarded because I don't want nasty teflon coming in contact with my kids, but even so it's held up well.

niccig
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I do not like my microfiber couch. I wish I would have gotten leather or even chenille. I can't keep the microfiber clean at all.

:yeahthat: This is my experience and we have a Natuzzi microfiber. It leaves water rings from cleaning. The couch is clean, but all those water rings make it look dirty. We've also had the fabric wear down in a couple of the most used spots to the black underneath - think it's from friction from our pant legs against the edge of the cushion. The frame of the couch is in great shape, but the fabric has not held up at all.

amldaley
09-19-2012, 09:23 PM
We have a blend similar to Sunbrella and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Feels good, looks good, easy to clean and holds up well. I will never have a sofa with anything else again!

acmom
09-19-2012, 09:36 PM
We had a PB microfiber couch and now have leather (Belleni). Our PB microfiber only looked nice for a year or so. Between the kids and the dog, it looked old really fast. We still use it in a different room of the house, but it has noticeable stains (spit up, food spills, etc.) that have never come out. Part of it may have been the color (chocolate brown). The cushions also seemed to lose their shape/firmness quickly - not sure if that was material or just the quality of the couch.

The leather on the other hand has been great thus far!

wendmatt
09-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Have you checked Costco? They have pretty good prices for furniture and I know they have leather (not sure of quality) for good price. We got our sectional from there, it's holding up but the back is too low and not very comfortable.

crl
09-19-2012, 11:48 PM
We have a blend similar to Sunbrella and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Feels good, looks good, easy to clean and holds up well. I will never have a sofa with anything else again!

Where did you get it?

Thanks!
Catherine

SammyeGail
09-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Thought I'd give craigslist a look and ran across this Tommy Bahama sofa and 2 chairs. We live near the beach, this is from their second home condo, non rental.

Its alot more upscale than we were thinking, plus the light colored leather. Its an hour drive but I'm going to look at it after the kiddos are off to school.

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/fuo/3278143436.html

Catherine, you can see Sunbrella retailers here, be sure to click on indoor furniture

http://www.sunbrella.com/buy/

I saw alot of their indoor fabric online at Joanns, I've real alot about people using it to reupholster their current sofa, chairs, etc

What we have right now is la-y-boy, I called an upholstery shop, he said it would cost close to the same as buying a new set and their frames aren't that great.

crl
09-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the Sunbrella link!
Catherine

roseyloxs
09-20-2012, 09:05 AM
We got a bonded leather couch in March of last year, right before we moved. So that makes it about 18 months old. Still looks brand new. Kids are VERY rough with it and it has done an overseas move. No scratches, no cracking, no fading, no stains. Its awesome, I love it. Sorry I don't know the brand I don't think it was a very big name. If I can find a link of it, I'll post it.

Found it: https://www.furniturefd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_122_60&products_id=4317&osCsid=296e69172e072d8480d70aef6fb9d70e
Think I found a local link for you as well: http://www.arringtonshomefurnishing.com/Signature-Design-Sofa/9460338-523/ItemInformation.aspx

Hope the CL couch works out but if not you should be able to pick up this couch and matching love seat for half the price. Both pieces are large though, very deep & long. So be sure to take a tape measure if space is an issue.

SammyeGail
09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the Sunbrella link!
Catherine

Sure! Hope there is one nearby you. A bunch here since there are so many condo's with vacationers. All the shops had sleeper sofas, I would have had to wait about 6 weeks for a special order couch, but it was $250 less.

I was going to go with the sunbrella but wasn't looking forward to negotiating the best price I could get, there are at least 6 different stores. I'll negotiate for a car purchase, not fun running around from store to store with the sales personal being so nice, to save $50 at the most.

I went and saw the Lexington set from CL this AM. It is gorgeous! I thought the sofa was going to be more like a sette style, but its super comfy. It was easily wide enough, I could fully lay down on it. Here's one like it:

http://www.wayfair.com/Tommy-Bahama-Home-Plantation-Scatterback-Leather-Sofa-LL1646-33-TBL1421.html

I would have preferred a medium brown or camel color, but I did some research on how to protect lighter colored leather, looked ok, will do more and buy the correct products. They are a deeper cream, not a light cream. I was concerned the chairs might look bland, but they aren't at all.

DH was concerned about the sofa cushion being fabric instead of leather, I like the fabric better, if something happens to it, take it to an upholstery shop and have another made by the measurements.

The condo was in Destin, FL. It was stunning! 15th floor, looking out at the ocean, 4 bedroom, I had to keep a nice smile on my face and my jaw off the floor, lol! A million dollar vacation home, wow.

We're picking it up Tue AM. I'm excited. DH said 'happy anniversary', which is not until Nov. 25, ha-ha DH.

MamaMolly
09-20-2012, 04:36 PM
SG I think you are going to be really happy with the set. IMO you are better off with higher quality furniture, since it is going to take a beating with little kids around. You could even have washable slip covers made for the sofa cushions and take them off and launder as needed.

amldaley
09-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Where did you get it?

Thanks!
Catherine

I custom ordered from an interior design shop...paid way less than retail. I have two matching full size sofas, one is a sleeper, and both for the price of one sofa from Ethan Allen. Mine were made by http://www.caprisfurniture.com/

EA carries Sunbrella.

SammyeGail
09-20-2012, 05:51 PM
:irked:

The CL seller said he would prefer paypal for full payment instead of money order or cashiers check. We agreed after DH and I saw furniture was ok Tue AM (its being moved from condo to storage area in condo's garage) we would send payment, verify he received it before we left.

The jerk just emailed me to *verify* that I would cover the $40+ paypal fees. NOT! I replied that I would cover $10, the cost of a cashiers check.

SG I think you are going to be really happy with the set. IMO you are better off with higher quality furniture, since it is going to take a beating with little kids around. You could even have washable slip covers made for the sofa cushions and take them off and launder as needed.

Thats my plan! Its well built furniture, much more likely to be worth completely recovering later when needed.

I custom ordered from an interior design shop...paid way less than retail. I have two matching full size sofas, one is a sleeper, and both for the price of one sofa from Ethan Allen. Mine were made by http://www.caprisfurniture.com/

EA carries Sunbrella.

Amldaley:

I did see that using an interior decorator could make the cost lower. One shop I went into carries Capris. Would I need to pay a consultation fee to feel comfortable negotiating a better price? IIRC, her quote of a sunbrella sofa was $800-850. The tag on the sofa sleeper in stock was $1100. I do like the look of the Capris sofas and chairs!

Sunbrella is still an option, if he and I are going to have a tiff over PP fees. We're paying to rent a U-haul, gas for the hour drive there and back, DH taking 1/2 vacation day for us to go and get it.....

amldaley
09-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Amldaley:

I did see that using an interior decorator could make the cost lower. One shop I went into carries Capris. Would I need to pay a consultation fee to feel comfortable negotiating a better price? IIRC, her quote of a sunbrella sofa was $800-850. The tag on the sofa sleeper in stock was $1100. I do like the look of the Capris sofas and chairs!

Sunbrella is still an option, if he and I are going to have a tiff over PP fees. We're paying to rent a U-haul, gas for the hour drive there and back, DH taking 1/2 vacation day for us to go and get it.....

We did not do a consultation. She had a model on the floor I liked the shape of and I was very honest that I was limited on price. She let me go through all the fabric samples myself. The upholserty from Capri is not Sunbrella brand but same stuff. Capri only offers it in a couple of colors. Ours is a pretty slightly cinnamon tan color. She gave me an additional price break b/c we bought two. That upholstery will run you a little more than their lower grade stuff but soooo worth it!