PDA

View Full Version : Does this Internet safety software exist?

AJP
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I just set up our old pc for dd's to use. I'd like them to be able to play some educational games at specific sites. Is there a way to set up my browser to only allow these sites? I have windows 7 on there and have chrome and ie as browsers on there already. While I'm still learning my Mac, I feel like its been forever since I used the pc and feel "pc stupid" already lol. Is there anything free out there for this or any other free safety stuff I need to add? They won't be using the pc totally alone, but I'll probably be doing other office stuff right next to them and I don't want them coming across anything they shouldnt.

kristac
09-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I just set up our old pc for dd's to use. I'd like them to be able to play some educational games at specific sites. Is there a way to set up my browser to only allow these sites? I have windows 7 on there and have chrome and ie as browsers on there already. While I'm still learning my Mac, I feel like its been forever since I used the pc and feel "pc stupid" already lol. Is there anything free out there for this or any other free safety stuff I need to add? They won't be using the pc totally alone, but I'll probably be doing other office stuff right next to them and I don't want them coming across anything they shouldnt.

We use Window Live Family Safety. It allows me to ok sites individually (which is sometimes a PITA but I like the control). It was free.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Protecting-your-kids-with-Family-Safety

nfowife
09-19-2012, 12:54 PM
There's an app on chrome called "kid mode" that is awesome.

AJP
09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks. I set it up through my pc's parental controls. I was able to set up a user ID for the kids and set it to only allow access to specific websites that I chose. I tested it out and as long as we're signed in under their ID it works great. I Think I'll have to test it under the other browser also, but I think it will work also.
Thanks for your help!