PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE--Art Party! At home party activities

infomama
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Dd1 decided she wants an art theme which I am TOTALLY excited about. So far we have pumpkin painting and 'masterpiece station' where they paint on canvas. I need some more ideas, though. I'd like to stick to just two painting stations (already planned). So....what else can I do? Help artists!!

__________________________________________________ ___________
Dd is turning 9 and we can't guarantee the weather so I'm thinking plan for indoors. This would be for less than 15 kids. Lay your best party activities on me. We do have a very large garage that we could use as well. Non lame venues are so $$$

Jen841
09-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Dancing (a family fav this summer was dancing in the dark with glow sticks at night)
Freeze dance
Craft
Painting nails
Make your own food (like pizzas)
Apples to Apples?
Pictionary
Kareoki (sp)

Want to make it an evening 'PJ Party'? You could do dinner and a movie, or dancing in the dark. I recently saw color your own pillowcases that looked fun.

elbenn
09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
There are lots of games/contests you could play. One game is to drop paper clips from a height into a jar and whoever gets most paperclips in gets a prize.

lfp2n
09-19-2012, 12:17 PM
we had a party with 22 kids where it rained :( and I used my unfinished basement for crafts

We made T shirts using fabric markers, spray on fabric paint and stencils. They loved this especially the spray part, it was not as messy as you would think although we did have an adult supervising that part.
I also bought an inexpensive bottle cap jewelry party kit off Etsy- prob enough for 30 necklaces with mixed types of necklace- jellies ribbons etc.
I set up a 'nail salon' with some stick on nails and polish.

We also had some games like pass the parcel and freeze dance. I had a pinata and the candy and anything they made was the goody bag.

urquie
09-19-2012, 12:20 PM
we had a party with 22 kids where it rained :( and I used my unfinished basement for crafts

We made T shirts using fabric markers, spray on fabric paint and stencils. They loved this especially the spray part, it was not as messy as you would think although we did have an adult supervising that part.
I also bought an inexpensive bottle cap jewelry party kit off Etsy- prob enough for 30 necklaces with mixed types of necklace- jellies ribbons etc.
I set up a 'nail salon' with some stick on nails and polish.

We also had some games like pass the parcel and freeze dance. I had a pinata and the candy and anything they made was the goody bag.

Can you please link to the etsy party kit?

squimp
09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
My DD is turning 9 next month and we usually do a home party. The favorite activity is a scavenger hunt or a treasure hunt. We have done both indoor and outdoor hunts. We've done one where they found puzzle pieces and the puzzle told them where a surprise was waiting for them. We also had one last year where the clues led to a closet full of balloons and music for a dance party.

This year we're on 4 acres so I am going to run them all around the place to wear them out. :D

Here's a few ideas.

http://www.kitchencounterchronicle.com/2012/04/earth-day-is-on-its-way.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Amazing-Treasure-Hunt-for-Kids
http://www.parents.com/holiday/easter/printables/printables-treasure-hunt-and-scavenger-hunt-games/

lfp2n
09-19-2012, 12:31 PM
We used this shop, she's nice she let me customize a kit. If I did it again I'd probably just do the ribbon necklaces which are really cute, and the jelly ones which the kids really liked. Its a good idea to have extra epoxy stickers as these seem to vanish. When I looked this seemed cheaper than kits from stores for a big group.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/indieowlcreations?ref=seller_info

urquie
09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
We used this shop, she's nice she let me customize a kit. If I did it again I'd probably just do the ribbon necklaces which are really cute, and the jelly ones which the kids really liked. Its a good idea to have extra epoxy stickers as these seem to vanish. When I looked this seemed cheaper than kits from stores for a big group.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/indieowlcreations?ref=seller_info

Awesome, thanks for the link and good advice! :)

infomama
09-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks all...I love the scavenger hunt idea! I worry a little about the weather on that one but maybe I can make it a 'rain or shine' scavenger hunt. Then we can move in to do a t-shirt or play the paperclip game.

infomama
09-20-2012, 07:49 PM
update in OP...

sariana
09-20-2012, 08:26 PM
What about toilet paper roll napkin holders? DD made some last year in preschool, but I think it would work at any age. You take the tube from a roll of toilet paper and cut it in half. Put out some sort of glue and lots of beads, ribbons, sequins, or whatever for the guests to use to decorate the rings. They can take them home as favors.

You can use seeds and dried beans to fit a fall theme, but you might need to use some sort of shellac to keep away bugs.

Jen841
09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
what about something on fabric? t-shirt? pillowcase?

I would be fun if you have a large canvas that you divided up into squares and each person painted a square for the b-day gift and she would hang it. On the back you could write their names so you remember who did it. You can take a picture of it and make cards out of it for Thank Yous.

I recently saw tulle wreaths, is that too old of something for them? Fall wreaths? Maybe I am too grown up.

What about getting white fabric and stuffing them to make them like ghosts and painting black eyes on them?

Fleece pillows or blankets? Just need to tie. OR Fleece boas if you can sew a line up the middle (or they could). SUPER easy! Rotary Cutter makes this a quick and easy project. I love my fleece boas! My 3 day walk team wore them for fun.

Frugal girls have ideas http://thefrugalgirls.com/category/chic-and-crafty

What about scrapbooking a picture frame. You give them a group picture to fill it OR do a dress up station to take a picture of them to fill the picture. Picture props are all the rage now!

infomama
09-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

boolady
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
We are doing an art party for DD in October. She'll only be turning 6, so younger than your DD, but my plans, based in part on a poll I did here are: painting on small canvases; tote bag stamping; spin or sand art; and scratch art. In researching art parties, I've found lots of cool ideas, like making a chalkboard paint table runner on brown kraft paper, murals, sculpting with modeling clay, etc.

At your DD's age, if it's going to be all girls, you could do jewelry beading/making, start friendship bracelets, paint a picture frame, and she could send a photo of the party in her thank yous, etc.

elbenn
09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
I just saw these for cheap at OTC. They are stencils for frames which would work for their artwork. Actually, any sort of stencils might be a good addition to other art supplies. Of course, free shipping at OTC ended yesterday.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=thanksgiving+stencils

KpbS
09-21-2012, 01:37 PM
What about tie-dye t-shirts?