PDA

View Full Version : Bday Cake -- I blew it -- help -- BJs cake??

hillview
09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
I need a cake for maybe 40 people. (RSVPs have been hard -- right now have 20 kids w/parents and 10 not responded!)

I can:

Go to a local bakery and get what they have on display (will have cupcakes which DS wants -- might be a random assortment: flowers, balloons, footballs etc).
Go to BJs (we are members) and get a sheet cake -- ANYONE BTDT?
Re-join Costco and order a cake.

Party is Saturday!

tmahanes
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Do you have a Martins or giant grocery store? They have a ton of cake designs and i picked a cars one the day before the party and it was ready in plenty of time and was yummy! You should be able to find a simple design also if you need it. They definitely did not need much notice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

JElaineB
09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
My sister got a cake from BJ's for my niece's baptism and it was good. She ordered it ahead of time, not sure when you need the cake?

crl
09-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I'd call a nearby bakery or grocery store and see what they could do for me. Most only need a day or two ahead to make a custom cake I think.

Catherine

pastrygirl
09-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm very picky about cakes (see my username ;) ) but I like the BJ's cakes!

cvanbrunt
09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Just go to Stop and Shop. They only need a day notice and the cake was just fine. I picked up some red velvet cupcakes for the adults and everyone was happy.

urquie
09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Re-join Costco and order a cake.

I'm pretty sure that you can get a one day pass (free) for Costco. Their cakes are great and they sometimes have cupcakes.

AnnieW625
09-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I would do the cupcakes, which are easier with kids, but if they are going to be half eaten and thrown away and for $2 a pop I'd probably just get a grocery store cake or cup cakes. We actually get great cakes from our local super market.

hellokitty
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
I would ask around. In our area, sam's club, another local grocery chain and a small bakery make the best cakes. Your friends will know which ones are the best. It may turn out that your local grocery store is a good option and you don't have to go through the trouble of costco (fwiw, I think sam's club's cake is much better than costco's, and so do family members who have had both). Sorry, never tried the cake from BJ's warehouse before. I bet you could ask them for a sample though.

minnie-zb
09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
If you have a Wegman's near you, I'd get the cake from them.

niccig
09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
One of our grocery stores (Vons, part of safeway chain) does cupcake cakes - they put the cupcakes together into a shape then frost on top. Easier to serve as no cutting.

I agree you have time. Call around today and see what you can get. The kids love the cake regardless of where it's from.

squimp
09-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Lots of supermarkets will make custom cakes. Ours will do a photo cake and I'm doing that this year.

KLD313
09-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Just go to Stop and Shop. They only need a day notice and the cake was just fine. I picked up some red velvet cupcakes for the adults and everyone was happy.

:yeahthat: Stop and Shop cake is really good, better than Costco.

klwa
09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
BJ's cakes are pretty good. I've ordered them a couple of times for work parties & baby showers at church.

Twoboos
09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I am pretty sure I got a cupcake cake from BJ's a few years ago - maybe 4 or 5? Definitely worth a call!

Pyrodjm
09-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Stop and Shop cakes are my favorite store cakes. I like them much better than BJ's and Costco's

lizzywednesday
09-19-2012, 02:22 PM
BJs sheet cakes are pretty good, though the last birthday cake I bought was from Wegman's (and that was good, too.)

Good luck.

KDsMommy
09-19-2012, 03:54 PM
I've gotten b-day cakes from BJs and they were good.

Tondi G
09-19-2012, 04:00 PM
our supermarket usually only needs 24 hours for a cake. I would just go to your local store.

We have had good luck with white cake with fresh strawberries (tell them no jelly stuff with the berries) and whipped cream frosting.

ang79
09-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I was just thinking about this, we're having a very small party for DD1 on Sat. and I'm too lazy/busy to make and decorate a cake. We have a Giant about 5 min. away which would be the most convenient, but I'm also a member of Sam's and BJ's, each are about 15-20 min. away. Would you say these 3 stores run about the same as far as price, option for designs, and taste?

hillview
09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
thanks all! I went to our local shaw's (after calling them, and the lady said they did the pull away cupcakes). I ordered a cake (they DON'T do the cupcakes!) -- I had to get something. It will be ready in time. I am sure it will be fine. I am trying not to stress about it!

carolinamama
09-19-2012, 09:42 PM
It WILL be fine. The kids will all be happy with the cake and that's what really matters. This was the first year that I haven't done a fancy bakery cake for DS1's birthday. He was more excited about the grocery store cake that he picked out than the past cakes that I've spent tons of time and money on having cakes done to match the invitations and themes!! Yes, I'm that crazy. Of course I knew the difference when I tasted it for sure, but the kids are all happy with cake of any type.

Kindra178
09-19-2012, 09:46 PM
May I suggest another option? I assume you have a nearby Whole Foods. They make awesome (like really, really good bakery quality) cupcakes for $1/cupcake. You can call ahead and order the "6 pack cupcakes." They are sold in a 6 pack. They have tons of designs to choose from. Although a Costco cake is good, it's full of a lot of nonsense; I assume BJs is the same. At least with WF you are getting better quality ingredients at a reasonable price.

hellokitty
09-20-2012, 12:01 AM
I was just thinking about this, we're having a very small party for DD1 on Sat. and I'm too lazy/busy to make and decorate a cake. We have a Giant about 5 min. away which would be the most convenient, but I'm also a member of Sam's and BJ's, each are about 15-20 min. away. Would you say these 3 stores run about the same as far as price, option for designs, and taste?

Sam's club only has a few options, and most are for a larger amt. A very small cake with a few cupcakes around it is the smallest option next to getting a half sheet and it looks a little bit dinky. I have a feeling BJ's is probably the same. You'd probably be better off going to a grocery store if you need a smaller cake. That is what I did last time for DS2's bday, where it was just our family of 5.

ang79
09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Sam's club only has a few options, and most are for a larger amt. A very small cake with a few cupcakes around it is the smallest option next to getting a half sheet and it looks a little bit dinky. I have a feeling BJ's is probably the same. You'd probably be better off going to a grocery store if you need a smaller cake. That is what I did last time for DS2's bday, where it was just our family of 5.

Thanks for the input. Since our local Giant grocery store is so close, and I'll be just a few min. away from there for swim lessons on Sat., I think we'll try that out. She's been looking at photos online and wants to go to the store tonight to see what we can order.