PDA

View Full Version : Chick-fil-a about face

kristac
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.queerty.com/chick-fil-a-stops-anti-gay-donations-adopts-anti-discrimination-policy-20120919/

JElaineB
09-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Well that's suprising but good news. However, I have never eaten at Chick-fil-a in the 14 years I've lived near one so I'm unliklely to start now.

elektra
09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I am surprised too. I mean I am pleased to hear they want to end discriminatory practices but I wonder how all the people feel who ate at CFA every day for weeks right after it all went down to show support??

hellokitty
09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Wellll, I think that it's all about the $ and public image. I find it hard to believe that a company that had such strong guidelines about this topic would do an about face like that, kwim? They know that this has ruined their public image and they are probably upset that there have been ppl protesting and boycotting. I am sure that there are still ppl within the organization that belief in their anti-gay stance, they are just jumping through hoops at this point. I have only ever been to their chain 2x, so it won't change my habits, but it is burned on my brain that they were so openly anti-gay, that it will be hard for me to see their logo and not automatically associate them with the anti-gay fiasco.

daisysmom
09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Wow, I was surprised to read this. I personally pick Chick-fil-a anytime I have to pick fast food (that is rare now, but their milkshakes were a staple during my pregnancy, and DD loves them) but was very apprehensive about giving them business over the last few months (I had not known about those beliefs/policies before). Our nanny, who we loved dearly, was throwing all of her support behind Chick-fil-a and literally was eating three meals a day there and we had to have a conversation with her when we literally were seeing that she was taking 5 year DD there all the time, and the kitchen trash was full of their wrappers, and I wanted her to know that while I wasn't officially boycotting it, I strongly preferred that we didn't support them and when DD asked why she always wanted to go there, I did end up getting into the nitty gritty with her (and reminding her that I have a lesbian cousin who I am very close to, and lots of GL friends, and my personally side on the debate was with them, not chick-fil-a).

So I am glad to see this "Reversal" if that is what it really is.

cdlamis
09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Wellll, I think that it's all about the $ and public image. I find it hard to believe that a company that had such strong guidelines about this topic would do an about face like that, kwim? They know that this has ruined their public image and they are probably upset that there have been ppl protesting and boycotting. I am sure that there are still ppl within the organization that belief in their anti-gay stance, they are just jumping through hoops at this point. I have only ever been to their chain 2x, so it won't change my habits, but it is burned on my brain that they were so openly anti-gay, that it will be hard for me to see their logo and not automatically associate them with the anti-gay fiasco.

:yeahthat: to your entire post!! (Well, except for the part where you only at there 2x. :) I love their food and have missed it since the boycott.)

anonomom
09-19-2012, 12:53 PM
:yeahthat: to your entire post!! (Well, except for the part where you only at there 2x. :) I love their food and have missed it since the boycott.)

:yeahthat: If this is true, my tastebuds will be happy. We used to eat there about 1x a month, and I have missed it.

AngB
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Thank goodness!!!

I've had Chik Fil A twice in the past month (most recently, yesterday), and felt REALLY guilty about it.

But, I'm 31 weeks pregnant with a high risk pregnancy having some complications and have a 16 month old...he doesn't eat out well...ours has a nice indoor playground...they bring me the food and refills without me even having to get up, and they are in a very convenient location for us. (Plus I like the food, I mean, it's not gourmet or 4 star dining by any means, but for fast food, it's a decent option. I usually get DS the grilled chicken nuggets and a fresh fruit cup and don't feel too bad about it.)

So...eating there for the convenience of it has been bugging me and weighing heavily on my conscious (am planning to donate at least 2x what I've spent there to gay rights organizations to appease my guilt, was my plan yesterday), now I can eat there again without feeling quite as guilty about it.

I doubt the founder has changed his mind on his opinion. But as long as they aren't donating company money to anti-gay organizations, I can at least live with it, at least occasionally.

I did notice that the two times we have went, even at lunch time, it was considerably more empty than it had been in the past. I don't know if it was just my timing or if other people are trying to avoid it as well. (Or the fact that the newness is finally wearing off. Ours only opened last year and regularly has drive thru lines out the parking lot and all the tables inside filled for a lot of the day!) Our area is super duper conservative and easily passed one of the first gay marriage bans, so I would be surprised if there were a ton of people boycotting it (or trying to boycott like in my case).

ilfaith
09-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I wonder how all the people feel who ate at CFA every day for weeks right after it all went down to show support??

Probably a little sick to their stomachs.

I haven't been to CFA in a few months...while their anti-gay stance had something to do with it, the fact is I used to live five minutes away from not one, but two, Chick-fil-a restaurants and now I am a 25 minute drive from the nearest one. I haven't missed it, but it is good to know that I won't feel too bad the next time I have a hankering for a diet lemonade.

wendibird22
09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I think it's a good first step but really only that. They could still financially support organizations that in turn support anti-gay organizations. The family itself could still use their earnings to support anti-gay organizations. And the company still doesn't have an anti-discrimination policy which includes sexual orientation (the statement about treating everyone fairly and kindly isn't part of the company anti-discrimation policy just a request that employees do this).

I think it's a lot of smoke and mirrors potentially.