PDA

View Full Version : Lost & Wandering in Strollerland...

leilaniox
09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
FTM here, due in December. I've read Baby Bargains backwards & forwards, stalked these boards, talked to all of my mom-friends, and am still stumped on which stroller(s) to purchase. Since you are obvoiusly guru's of this art/science, I'm appealing to your brilliance for help.

About us -
1. Live in the suburbs, and basicially drive everywhere (big-ish Ford Explorer & small Honda Insight.)

2. Have virtually no storage space inside our townhouse (no garage, basement, attic, etc.) So stroller(s) would likely be stored in trunk(s) or small inside closet on 1st floor. Do plan to move to single home before second kiddo.

3. Plan on having second LO when this one is about 3. But that kiddo could turn out to be kiddos, since that pregnancy would also be IVF.

4. I'm 5'8", DH is 5'10", but I have really long legs.

5. Don't want to spend more than $500-ish on the main stroller, and $150 on an umbrella stroller.

6. Plan to do the city (Philly), zoo, boardwalk, paved trails, mall, and walks around our development. Expect very limited "off-roading" Not likely jogging, but definitely walking.

7. Like the idea of multiple configurations (i.e. forward & rear-facing), and re-using the same stroller.

Main: thought I had settled on the Britax B-Ready for my main - since I love the large storage basket, like the Britax B-Safe carseat (and was interested in the Britax rewards program for the convertible carseat I want). Plus, I like the idea that it's configurable for a second LO. But not sure how much a 3 YO would use the stroller with an infant. And, I could still be talked into a different infant car seat (Chicco Keyfit or Graco)...And the 3-wheeled Agile, and Baby Jogger's are also highly recommened by the mom friends and BB book.

Umbrella: wanted basic but quality, so the Volo seemed to fit the bill, but definitely open to suggestions here.

Also open to a snap-and-go for early on.

So....ideas?

Jacksmommy2b
09-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I love my uppababy vista. I bought last year

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mare_imbrium
09-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Also open to a snap-and-go for early on.

I have a 12 week old right now, he's my third and my other two are a good bit older. When my oldest was born getting a snap n go for your infant car seat until you could figure out what kind of stroller you wanted was the big recommendation. But when I got pregnant last year with this one I was reading that was no longer advisable because they shouldn't sit for really long periods of time in their car seat because it's not good for their airways. So I decided to try this one with minimal use of the car seat out of the car. We usually leave it in the car except sometimes into the bottom of a cart for a quick trip if he's asleep, and to go to restaurants. We don't have a snap n go nor do we have a car seat adapter for our stroller. And honestly we haven't missed it. We have a beco gemini to carry him in also, or he goes in the stroller.

We have a Valco Quad and purchased the bassinet adapter for it. Now, I don't know if I would recommend purchasing a separate bassinet for your stroller because they are expensive and you just never know how your baby will feel about it. It turns out my son hates to lay down, so he would just fuss in the bassinet part of the stroller while he was awake. We took it out a couple of weeks ago and now have to put him in a more upright position in the stroller most of the time. Luckily he has good neck strength for a baby his age.

So if you want to try to forgo the snap n go and like the bassinet idea you might want to look at an Uppa Baby Vista or the new Valco Zee Spark. I am really dying to test out a Spark (unfortunately Valco isn't really carried around here) and I wish they had been out when my son was born in June. The seat converts into a bassinet so you don't have to have an extra piece.

With a 3-year age difference the most useful thing I had for my two older kids (who are about 32 mos apart) was that my stroller, a Peg Perego P3, had an area where my older child could stand on the back. He didn't need to ride in a seat all that much by the time he was over 3. BUT while it is nice to plan ahead I wouldn't make the future be the deciding factor in your purchase. Like you said, you might end up having twins next time, or you might accidentally get pregnant sooner (I know you do IVF, but heck, anything is possible) or you might end up having to wait longer. Also they're always coming out with awesome new features for strollers and by the time you're pregnant again there might be something new that is perfect for your lifestyle.

Philly Mom
09-19-2012, 04:30 PM
If it is going in and out if cars, I would get the Bee. It is the lightest reversible. I have used mine on the streets of Philly and in my neighborhood and love it.

spannaz
09-20-2012, 12:06 AM
If it is going in and out if cars, I would get the Bee. It is the lightest reversible. I have used mine on the streets of Philly and in my neighborhood and love it.

:yeahthat:

I think the Bee is a great suggestion. It's lightweight, reversible and can easily live in a car. This could actually be a one and only in your situation. Or, when your LO is a bit older and winter is over, you could try and find a used mountain buggy or BOB for your neighborhood walks. Is there somewhere out front or back of your townhouse you could lock up the stroller at night? I only suggest that because I live in a townhouse as well, and a family 3 doors down keep their Indie Twin on their front patio at all times.

roseyloxs
09-20-2012, 05:26 AM
Don't buy an umbrella stroller now. Wait until your child is at least 9 months old, you can probably even hold off until 12 or 18 months especially if you want something bare bones like a volo or g-lite.

As for your everything stroller I think the bee is a great suggestion. I have one and it would work for every place you listed. It doesn't do great on gravel, beat-up, cracked sidewalks, or other bumpy terrains. However it works great at the zoos, boardwalks, suburban sidewalks, even dirt and grass. The seat is easy to flip, its very easy to fold, the basket is decent, and the seat has a very neat expansion system for both the footrest and the seatback. The only thing I don't like is a lack of a peekaboo window but when the child is parent facing that's not an issue.

Other reversibles worth looking at might be the new Baby Jogger Versa, Valco Spark and Uppababy Cruz.

You are near philly so you probably have a pretty decent craigslist so I really wouldn't worry about getting a double option right now. 3 years is a long time from now. You would easily be able to sell your single and pick up a double that would work for that situation. Its also impossible to know what kind of 3 year old you will have. My ds never rode a stroller at 3. My dd adores riding in strollers at 3. So I would just get the stroller you need now and worry about that situation when you get there.

leilaniox
10-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks so much all. I decided to test-drive your recommendations against the Britax B-Ready - and ended up switching to the BJ Versa!

I think I'm going to be really happy with this choice. :)

abh5e8
10-20-2012, 12:07 AM
awesome! i'd also check craigslist or online sales for an umbrella, and upgrade to a mac quest or g-lux. i'm sure you will end up using it much longer, especially over the course of multiple kiddos. our mac is going strong on 6 years and overall, its my most used stroller.