PDA

View Full Version : Which electronic tablet or music player for 2 year old?

NJ_Mom2011
09-19-2012, 03:22 PM
My (almost) 2 year old loves my ipod touch as a music player, but she has splashed water on it twice, so I want her to have her own device. I am so confused about the abundance of options, because electronic devices are so relatively affordable. I looked at music players, such as a SanDisk Sansa Clip, which are selling for a little less than $40. But I can get a Vtech InnoTab 2 for about $80, which can do so much more. And if I am willing to spend $150, I can get an Ipod Touch or a Kindle Fire for her. I don't think the LeapFrog LeapPad is an option, as it seems that it is not a good music player.

So what would you suggest getting for her? My daughter loves listening to music. But she loves electronics in general, and as she gets older, I know that she would enjoy playing educational games. We also don't have a traveling DVD player, and a tablet device can fill that void. On the other hand, she is only 2, so I think that what I probably get her will last only a year, even if I am stricter about having any water around her.

crl
09-19-2012, 11:33 PM
I'd get an iPod and a waterproof case, if that's in your budget. I think Apple products are well-designed and versatile. Ds got an iPod touch when he was two and it worked fine for years. We only let him have it for travel, doctor's office waiting rooms and the like though so no real risk of water damage.

Catherine

weech
09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
DS is the primary user of our Kindle Fire. I ripped some of his favorite shows onto it and he has some games and music he loves on there. We primarily use it for trips, but I think it's a great device for him.

NJ_Mom2011
09-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Thank you both for the advice! Kindle Fire is coming out next month with a parent-oriented web monitoring service, so I am favoring that option right now. All these electronics are so much cooler than the Speak & Spell that I grew up with!

khalloc
09-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Thank you both for the advice! Kindle Fire is coming out next month with a parent-oriented web monitoring service, so I am favoring that option right now. All these electronics are so much cooler than the Speak & Spell that I grew up with!

My brother and I had Speak and spells! Actually I had the yellow one which might have been Speak & Read and my brother had the red one (Speak and Spell?). Mine was really mean when you had the wrong answer "Wrong! Try Again!" LOL

NJ_Mom2011
09-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I had the Speak & Read too, but I claimed Speak & Spell as I figured people would more likely know what I was talking about as it was featured in the movie ET. The corrections on both were hilarious when I think back.