PDA

View Full Version : Need Booster on a Budget

boltfam
09-19-2012, 05:08 PM
My 5 yo is in a Maestro right now in my van but I am looking for a booster primarily for him to carpool with another pre-school mom. Right now, he is harnessed but he is close to 50 lb. and is probably 46" or so.

I think he will primarily be using the booster with a seat belt just to make it easier for her to drop him off. I don't want just a belted booster b/c after this year, we will use the booster in DH's car as a second car seat, and I'm hoping that 2 yo DD could use it, too.

Any suggestions to fit the bill? I would like to spend $70 or less but realize I might need to spend closer to $100. Oh, and I need something from B&M store, b/c i need it by next Mon.

Thanks!

jjordan
09-19-2012, 10:33 PM
So you want a seat that has a harness, but can also be used as a booster? The least expensive decent options for a kid who is close to 50 pounds already are a Graco Nautilus and an Evenflo SecureKid 300/400. I'm not sure what b&m stores carry them, although the Nautilus is probably a bit easier to find than the SecureKid. Best prices are usually online, though. Do you have Amazon Prime? Or pay extra for 2 day shipping to have it when you need it?

ETA: Amazon prices are $130 for the nautilus and $120 for the SecureKid now. Anything that costs less will not do what you want it to do. But if you need a less expensive option, I'd just get a turbobooster now. Then next year, use the maestro in dh's car for the 2 year old (who will be 3, right? she's 2 now?). Your ds will have outgrown it by weight anyway, so you might as well get some use out of it. :)

boltfam
09-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks, jjordan. I went to Buy Buy Baby and tried the securekid, frontier, and recaro prosport. I really liked the securekid but the crotch buckle was really hard to do and undo, so I opted out of it, since i want ds to be able to unbuckle himself (he can already buckle himself).

Then, I found a store in our area that had a great price on both the frontier an prosport, so I am going to go there tomorrow and get the frontier. If the one frontier they have is sold out, I'll get the prosport.

KrisM
09-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Since he's nearly outgrowing the Maestro, can you put that in for carpooling, as a booster, and then buy a dedicated booster for you car?

KDsMommy
09-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Since he's nearly outgrowing the Maestro, can you put that in for carpooling, as a booster, and then buy a dedicated booster for you car?

:yeahthat: This is probably what I would do.

boltfam
09-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Thanks, Kris! Great minds think alike..that's what I'm going to end up doing. You're right...the Maestro will be perfect for carpooling since it's so light.