PDA

View Full Version : s/o At what age do the kids use the remote control?

maylips
09-19-2012, 09:50 PM
The independence threads (and often EARLY Saturday mornings!) are making me wonder....when do you start to teach your kids how to use the remote?

My oldest is 5 and she still doesn't really know what to do - mostly because I don't want her flipping it on every time she's bored (or without my permission first), or finding a channel or show that's not appropriate for her.

Still...there are times I want her to know what to do!

lmwbasye
09-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Never taught them. They just now. Liam was completely independent around when he turned 7. George can master certain things (like Netflix for kids).

maestramommy
09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
DD1 was able to use it starting around age 5. Very basic. I showed her the play button, and the arrow buttons to maneuver around a DVD. She had a wee bit of trouble coordinating the arrow buttons. Now she knows how to read so she can get to the menu button on her own, as well as the skip button.

they only watch videos so she doesn't need to navigate for anything else. I do the initial setup, and I still work the VCR remote.

edurnemk
09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
DS is 4.5 yo and I haven't taught him but he figured some of it out. He can turn the TV on and off, and he can play and pause a DVD, he can also handle Netflix for kids. So I always leave the TV on one of his channels in case he gets his hands on the remote and turns the TV on when I'm not in the room.

twowhat?
09-19-2012, 10:08 PM
They've been using remotes for about a year now :bag. They even know the difference between the TV remote, DVD player remote, and Apple TV remote (again, :bag). I only allow them to use with supervision though - they aren't allowed to just pick it up and turn on the TV whenever they want. But once the TV is on, I'll let them scroll through their shows, hit play, etc.

elliput
09-19-2012, 10:14 PM
DD(7) has been able to use the remote for the PS3 (for movies and Netflix) for probably over a year now, but it was just in the past couple months that I showed her how to turn on the TV. DS(almost 4) doesn't know how to use either remote.

wellyes
09-19-2012, 10:14 PM
My 4 year old can turn the TV off and on, and can pause and unpause the TV (we have tivo).

I think it's handy for her to have some control, because without being able to pause, I think she would never leave for a potty break during her beloved TV watching time. It hasn't been a problem. She has never turned it on without permission.

ZeeBaby
09-19-2012, 10:31 PM
They can both turn on the tv and use Netflix. Some of it is mostly trial and error, but they are getting it more consistently now. They can only use the DVD remote.

georgiegirl
09-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Dd just started at age 6. I kept it away from her, but she insisted she knew how to work it, and yes she did. It makes it easier since she can find shows for herself and DS on the DVR. DS is 3 and knows how to turn it off and on. I'm sure he could do more if i showed him, but I'm not ready for that,

Pyrodjm
09-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Both of mine could use the cable remote by 2yo for basics like turning on the TV, volume and pause/start. DD1 could us the PS3 controller to start and navigate Netflix before she turned 3, DD2 might get it sooner. They still need help if they need to navigate to the kid's satellite channels or watch something saved on DVR. But they prefer to watch Netflix and DD1 can come downstairs by herself, turn on the TV and PS3 and navigate it all by herself.

new_mommy25
09-19-2012, 11:53 PM
My kids have been using them since about age 3 or 4. DD knows the number for her channels (Nick, etc.) and just pushes the button. I think DS played a part in this as he got tired of me asking him to put on DD's show for her, so he just showed her how to do it. :) They can also navigate Netflix. Unrelated, but DD has also been able to turn on the computer, log in, and click on Starfall for a few years now.

klwa
09-20-2012, 06:51 AM
I try to make sure the TV is on a "safe for kids" channel before I go to bed. (Disney Channel on the weekends, Cartoon Network on weekedays because of what's on when the kids wake up.) I taught DS when he was 5 how to turn on the TV & satellite box, & he CAN do it when he wants to. However, most days, he doesn't want to. I've tried to show him more recently how to use the satellite guide to pick out programs since all of their favorite channels are within 10 channels of each other, but I can't convince him that's any fun. Much more fun to wake up Mommy on the weekends & have her come cuddle while watching the TV. *sigh*

roseyloxs
09-20-2012, 07:05 AM
5. I would look and see if there is a way for you to set a couple of favorites on your remote. Our remote has 4 buttons that can be programmed to a specific channel. DS knows that the red button takes him to the family channel (which is a collection of disney/nick shows on the Armed Forces Network). I also taught him how to change the tv input so he can watch a dvd instead of tv.

Its useful that he knows these things because he tends to wake up before we do so it gives him something to do while he waits for us to wake up.

Melaine
09-20-2012, 07:56 AM
The girls are almost 6 and can use the xbox remote to turn on netflix. They can't do it whenever they want or watch whatever they want. I wouldn't want them just "flipping" channels, that's for sure. Now there is even a kids' netflix, so it's even better.

egoldber
09-20-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't really remember with older DD. But at 11 she is fully self sufficient. ;)

Younger DD is 5, almost 6, and can do most things except change the input on the TV to change from watching satellite or DVD or Wii/Netflix. But she can turn on/off the TV, knows which remote to use for which type of thing she is watching, can pause, adjust the volume, etc. That probably started around 4.5.

hillview
09-20-2012, 08:04 AM
they both can use it. by age 3 ds2 was insisting.

vonfirmath
09-20-2012, 11:06 AM
The independence threads (and often EARLY Saturday mornings!) are making me wonder....when do you start to teach your kids how to use the remote?

My oldest is 5 and she still doesn't really know what to do - mostly because I don't want her flipping it on every time she's bored (or without my permission first), or finding a channel or show that's not appropriate for her.

Still...there are times I want her to know what to do!

My son was given permission to use the remote for himself at his 4th birthday.

However, we still tell him to turn the TV off sometimes, or take the remote away if he is just flipping and not watching appropriately. We are still the parents even though he knows how to use it.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
my youngest is turning 4 next week and has been able to use the remote for at least a year. Ever since she could recognize numbers she knew to push 3-2-0 for her channel or 3-3-7 for her other channel. I just realized she can go through the on demand shows and find her own shows there too. she can't read so I am not sure how she is doing that.