PDA

View Full Version : Very minor car accident, do I need to replace carseat?

Jennifer626
09-19-2012, 11:18 PM
I have a Graco MyRide 65. I drive a 2012 Toyota Highlander (big suv).

Today while my car was sitting in the parking lot, a woman backed into my back bumper. The bumper itself isn't dented at all, but there is a chrome piece that connects the bumper to the rest of the car, and that chrome piece is cracked. There is a large mark on my bumper too.

Luckily she left a note with her phone # and I told her that I would have my husband look at it tonight and give her a call tomorrow. Husband is guessing that it will be over $500 to fix it (I sent him a photo).

So do I need to replace my carseat? If yes, what is the process for that?

Also, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and did NOT need this today, ugh.

Joolsplus2
09-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Technically, Graco is a stickler on replacement in minor crashes. But honestly? I wouldn't bother. The forces transferred to your carseat during that bump were less than you'd use to install the seat (or a speedbump, or a pothole...), and don't count as a "crash".
I hope the repairs are super speedy, yeah, this IS a bad time for such an inconvenience!

wellyes
09-20-2012, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't.

ett
09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't either.

hillview
09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't either.

:yeahthat:

Snow mom
09-20-2012, 12:56 PM
You weren't in the car when she hit you, right? I was just wondering if you had an idea of how fast she was moving or what kind of a jolt there was. Actually before I opened the thread I was thinking this was the only type of accident I would be okay with not replacing after--the type where you get bumped bumper to bumper in a way similar to what happens frequently when people are bad at parallel parking. As long as she was backing at a reasonable speed when she hit you I probably wouldn't worry about it. If it's going to insurance I might mention that there was a carseat in the car. Our parked car was involved in a more substantial accident and the insurance company was more than happy to replace the seat.

kep
09-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Nope, and I am very liberal with replacing as needed. :)

Jennifer626
09-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! My gut was saying "don't need to replace" but thought I would double check with the experts!

My DH took it in to our body shop friend today, and the whole bumper needs to be replaced (sigh) so we will most likely be involving her insurance, and if I talk to anyone I will mention the fact that there was a carseat in the car.

I wasn't in the car, I was shopping in Toys R Us looking for brunette Barbies :) and came out to a note on my car with her phone number. I talked to her briefly last night (she was at a soccer game with her son) but we will chat more now that I know the bumper needs to be replaced...I'll see if I can find out how fast she was going.

Thanks again!

mypa
09-22-2012, 11:15 AM
When my car was parked on the street and a lady hit it while slowly backing out of her driveway my insurance did not replace the carseats since there were no occupants (and was minor damage to the bumper).

Last year we were hit while driving when a lady decided to enter into my lane and bumped into the back/side bumper. Both kids were in their carseats and although the collision was minor and no one got hurt my insurance paid out for both carseats at full replacement value. They said they are required when there are occupants regardless of any obvious damage to the actual carseats (seatbelts could have been engaged, etc). They sent me a check and told me it was my discretion whether I replaced the carseats or not. I decided not to due to the nature of the collision (more a slide-type collision and the seatbelts did not get engaged).

I your situation I would not change out the carseats.