PDA

View Full Version : Country Save for Cloth Diapers

LizLemon
09-20-2012, 02:23 AM
I have had a tough time getting my daughter's diapers (1) sufficiently clean and/or (2) detergent free since we have moved to a new region and into a house with a front- rather than top-loading washer. I have tried various types and amounts of detergents. I have done copious amounts of rinses and soap-free cycles. I had some Rocking Green, which seemed to help at first and then gave my little one a terrible rash. I have been debating trying Country Save as it gets good reviews and purports itself to be residue free.

Has anyone used Country Save for cloth diapers?

Any advice where to buy it? Amazon has it, but in huge quantities for more amounts of money than I would want to spend just to try a detergent.

roseyloxs
09-20-2012, 06:58 AM
I have never used country save so I can't comment on that.

Do you still have some rockin green left? I would write an email to rockin green. They have excellent customer service in my experience. I would include in your email your washing routine, your zip code (so they can determine your hard water level), and what kind of washer you are using. I would also mention the rash and how many washes before it appeared. I am guessing the rash is caused by either soap residue from not using enough water or the diapers are not getting clean from not using enough detergent (maybe because of hard water) and its ammonia burn.

I have heard the trick from gro-via's fb page to throw a wet towel into a front loader so the sensor thinks you are washing more and will add more water to the cycle. I have only used top loaders so I haven't gotten to test the trick myself. HTH

twowhat?
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Country Save worked great for us. It didn't always get out all the stains, but the diapers rinsed cleanly and without build-up (FTR we only used prefolds/covers). We used a front-loader.

Our local Sprouts carries it - so try local health food stores.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
have been using only Country Save for our cloth diapers for over 2.5 years..it works great. while i did start having issues with diapers stinking once DS was about 18 months, i had to strip diapers regularly and then it was fine. I now have 2 toddlers producing very concentrated pee so i do have to remember to strip the diapers pretty often :)

i bought some at Sprouts and then i got a case from Amazon.

lizzywednesday
09-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a front-loader and have not had issues with rinsing or rashes.

We started out using Charlie's, but I felt that it took too much effort to get DD's diapers clean enough - overnight ammonia stink is pretty bad.

Anyway, I switched to Rockin Green and added their Funk Rock booster to the wash every few loads. It made a REALLY big difference.

When the Funk Rock ran out, I would do a hot, soap-free "Quick Cycle" wash with 1/2-c baking soda in the detergent slot & plain white vinegar in the bleach cup with an extra rinse & "water plus" button switched on before doing my soap wash and it seemed to work just fine.

I just bought WF's powder detergent & oxygen bleach product and it seemed to work out really well, too.

However, I am not in a region that has hard or soft water - mine is a neutral pH.

AnnieW625
09-20-2012, 01:06 PM
I used it initially with my DD1's Fuzzi Bunz diapers and I didn't think that it cleaned well enought to begin with. We switched to Charlie's and works better for them. I use that (1/4 scoop) and it works fine. I spray all microfiber and non cotton fabric with Bac Out as well. I use All free detergent on the cotton diapers.

I do a cold rinse, then the heavy duty cycle (which has two rinses, and two spin cycles) hot wash with the cold rinse.

daisymommy
09-22-2012, 01:00 PM
I use it with great results in my front loader. You can buy a smaller cheaper box on buy.com ($9.99 for 80 loads).
http://www.buy.com/prod/country-save-he-powdered-laundry-detergent-80-loads/215956166.html

ssand23
09-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I've been cloth diapering for 13 years now. With my girls (they are 10 & 13 now), I used All Free the whole time, for years since they couldn't tolerate anything else. We had no problems with getting them clean enough or build up. I still have & use the fitteds I bought back then, too. My son wears the fitteds, covers, inserts & pockets that I bought for my girls. They have held up wonderfully over the years washing in All Free.

My son is almost 3 and I've been washing his diapers in either liquid original Tide or Tide Free (we have been using the Tide Free instead of the All free since I can find better prices on that) and the liquid Tide has been great on his diapers for almost 3 years now. No stain issues, no build up & most important, no rashes. He has very severe allergies (to the extent that he can't eat food) and the Tide Free & Tide doesn't bother his skin. We did try a few "cloth diaper" detergents. They all gave him a rash & our diapers weren't clean. I just went back to Tide & have stayed with that. I do occationally use the liquid All Free if that's in the house but we use the Tide more often.

Our wash routine is just a warm wash/warm rinse with liquid Tide almost to the 2 line, another full cycle with nothing added & then 1 rinse with nothing added. I just keep a dry pail with nothing added. When my girls were in diapers, we washed at the laundrymat so I kept a wet pail for poopy diapers since I only washed once a week but now I wash every other day so I don't keep a wet pail. I do have a diaper sprayer so I spray off anything yucky before they go in the pail.