PDA

View Full Version : What are my options for treating adult asthma - especially inhalers?

Katigre
09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I've had mild asthma as long as I can remember. It's triggered by the colder air in morning/evening in the fall which coincides with my seasonal allergies. At most I use a rescue inhaler - albuterol - a half dozen times a hear, usually within a week or two span in the fall. Because it's so mild and intermittent I don't have a primary care doctor who oversees my asthma. Instead, I've just gotten albuterol inhaler rx's from random places - college dr. back then, CVS walk-in, random walk-in dr clinic, and my OB.

I know I need to find a primary care dr. at this point - up to now I just covered all my medical stuff through an ob or midwife. But before I find someone and go in I want to do my own resesarch on what is available medication-wise for asthma like this so I can ask about my options.

Basically, I just need a simple rescue inhaler to use when I get a cold during fall allergy season, using it once or twice a day for a few days in a row until I'm over the hump.

I don't like albuterol - when I do two puffs it makes my heart race and I get jittery/irritable. One puff doesn't cause this side effect though. When I was younger I had an inhaler called 'maxair autoinhaler' which came in a light blue container and you didn't have to push down, you just inhaled and it discharged automatically.

What else is commonly prescribed for mild breathing issues? I don't need steroid inhaler or long term support.

Thanks

Kindra178
09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Xoponex is similar to albuterol but doesn't cause the shakiness and heart racing that albuterol does. We all use that at our house.

ladysoapmaker
09-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm like you maybe use my inhaler 2 or 3 times a year.

I use Xopenex. No jitters and it works just like Albuteral. I do use Pulmacort when I get a cold that triggers my asthma. And I renew my prescription once a year and closely look at my expiration dates on the meds.

Also my doctor reminded me to prime the inhaler before I use it if I hadn't used it in a while. Otherwise I might not be getting any medication when I need it.

Jen

m448
09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I had my childhood asthma come back after my third pregnancy. it was mild. but with daily wheezing. the doc's solution of a daily inhaler and a rescue inhaler. upon further. research indicated that while they would likely decrease the frequency of symptoms would also escalate the severity.

My solution is a 500mg dose of quercetin which is a bioflavinoid and potent antiinflammatory.

urquie
09-20-2012, 12:00 PM
My solution is a 500mg dose of quercetin which is a bioflavinoid and potent antiinflammatory.

Can you please tell me more about this? And any brand reccomendations...

Thansk!

m448
09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Can you please tell me more about this? And any brand reccomendations...

Thansk!

Not much more than i researched quite a bit for alternative asthma treatments and went down tha rabbit hole. I tend to mind dump info after making a decision though. I do recall the univ. Of maryland investigating the therapeutic properties of quercetin. I take a jarrow brand quercetin but | 'm no doc.

Kindra178
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I had my childhood asthma come back after my third pregnancy. it was mild. but with daily wheezing. the doc's solution of a daily inhaler and a rescue inhaler. upon further. research indicated that while they would likely decrease the frequency of symptoms would also escalate the severity.

I have been on Advair and its predecessor for about 14 years and I have never heard that a daily preventative inhaler could decrease the frequency of symptoms but escalate the severity. Is your information about a rescue inhaler or preventative inhaler?

sste
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Great advice on inhalers above. Do you have any risk factors that are amenable to control - - like losing weight or getting rid of smoke or mold in your environment? I had one colleague who got rid of his asthma through weight loss and another whose breathing problems improved when a spouse stopped smoking.

Katigre
09-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Great advice on inhalers above. Do you have any risk factors that are amenable to control - - like losing weight or getting rid of smoke or mold in your environment? I had one colleague who got rid of his asthma through weight loss and another whose breathing problems improved when a spouse stopped smoking.
No other risk factors - bmi is 20 and that's with postpartum weight still on me, house is wood floor and no mold problems. No smoke exposure anywhere. It's really a seasonal allergy trigger.

I need to get the quercetin. Iknew it could help with allergies but hadnt thought of it to treat asthma. I will also be asking for xoponex instead of albuterol. Albuterol does the job but i hate how i feel after taking it.

m448
09-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Kinda, I missed a "likely" in there but the likelihood that attacks could become more severe I vaguely remember reading at least in the insert of one of the meds I was prescribed as a possible adverse effect. A family acquaintance that is a pretty traditional allopathic doctor mentioned her personal preference for avoiding the asthma meds when it could otherwise be treated such as my mild case. This plus a bit more sleuthing/reading was enough to put me over the edge of attempting something less invasive and I'm not one to poo poo meds when needed since I'm on a daily medication already.

Katigre, I also have an adult onset cat allergy and it's helped a bit with that too. If I stop taking the querceting for more than two weeks I can hear a bit of wheezing most times.