PDA

View Full Version : Buy now or wait for a better deal

Snow mom
09-20-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm going to need an infant bucket for DS who is due the first week of March. When I was searching products eligible for the Amazon mom 20% off I saw a few carseats that might work, but I'm not sure if the prices are so good that it's worth jumping on and I'm not 100% sold on any of these seats. Any advice? Here are my options:

Britax B-Safe with B-Agile stroller (red) for $328.99 less 20% ($263): I really like this system combo although I helped a friend install hers and found the base less than perfect to install. I don't really need a stroller but I'd probably sell my Mac Quest to offset the price.

Teutonia T-Tario 35 (red or sterling) for $199.99 less 20% ($160): I haven't seen this seat in person but the large hood is appealing to me. We live in a hot climate and it will be sweltering here by mid-May and last until September so potentially a lot of the time the seat is used.

Chicco Keyfit 30 for $189.99 less 20% ($152): it isn't entirely clear to me whether this seat is eligible or not--it's on the list but if you click on it the promotion isn't shown. Seems like a popular choice. Is this the "sweaty" seat?

I could also wait and see what else comes around as far as sale prices go. I was originally hoping to catch the Target carseat clearance although that involves a lot of uncertainty. I also have a Combi Coccoro I could use but I'm not crazy about it and think I want something that snaps in and out in hopes DS might sleep in his carseat unlike DD. I could sell this also to recoup a bit of money but I'm not sure if there's much of a market outside the world of carseat nuts.

ETA: Keeping a seat for future kiddos isn't a concern but I would like to resell when I'm done with it.

rin
09-20-2012, 01:25 PM
We have the Keyfit, using it for the second time around right now, and love it. It's super, super easy to install so if you need to move vehicles at all it's great. Don't have any experience with the others. My one caution with the Keyfit is that it doesn't seem to fit a lot of strollers, so if you *do* want the travel system aspect you might have to get a snap n go, which I think usually fit pretty much any infant bucket.

You can check camelcamelcamel to see historical prices and get a sense for whether it's likely to be cheaper in the future. Just looking there, I think you could get a better deal if you decided to wait, but of course then you have to keep thinking about it!

(e.g. http://camelcamelcamel.com/Chicco-Keyfit-Infant-Seat-Adventure/product/B000MAER3Y)

meljc
09-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Love our Keyfit! I've had to re-install the base about five times in the last week due to travel and cargo needs and it's really easy (LATCH in one care, seatbelt in the other, once on an airplane baseless). Chicco makes a snap-in stroller frame called the Keyfit Caddy, which we have and love as well. It is much nicer than the generic one my SIL had (don't remember the brand) and I recently saw it advertised at BRU for $80.

I don't know if it has a reputation as being "sweaty" but my DS did start getting really sweaty in it at the beginning of July (he was 8 mos then). I'm not sure if it was related to his development, the hot summer or the car seat itself.

ETA: we bought ours (along with our stroller) from AlbeeBaby.com. They have a persistent 15% discount for non-sale merchandise, but if you join their email list they send 20% coupons for every major and minor holiday. Free shipping over $100, no sales tax, and some pretty great deals in clearance as well. Good luck!

wellyes
09-28-2012, 09:55 AM
You have til March? Wait. A screaming good deal will show up between now & then.