PDA

View Full Version : Eekk..how do I reply?

niccig
09-20-2012, 01:36 PM
When DH and I were arguing about money 6 weeks ago, one issue was how much my school is costing. So, in a fit of "I'll show you" that I now regret, I emailed me old boss to see if they had any temp. work like I've done in the past. They could use some help and put in a request to get approval. It's stalled and they don't know if it'll go ahead.

My semester at school is much worse than I thought it would be. There is no way I can juggle some temp work. We re-crunched numbers and while my bringing in some work would help, we can make things work without it.

How do I reply to the "sorry, things are delayed. We'll let you know" email. I want to be non-committal in please don't push it for me, but not say "I don't need it after all and you've done all this work on it."

I did think I could manage some work, but now I really can't. So, I'm fine with not getting anything, but don't want to burn bridges with them. If they do get approval, I'm going to feel obligated to do the work because I asked for it, so I don't want him pushing for it on my behalf.

And yes, I know I've gotten myself into a mess. I should never have sent the email, but in my defense, my classes have been much worse than is typical at this stage in my program and it wasn't something I had any control over.

sste
09-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Is next semester better for you?

Why don't you say "I recently turned up some work for the next three months (true, true!). Why don't I touch base with you [in the winter or before the start of the summer or if my schedule clears again]. I appreciate you thinking of me for contract work."

wellyes
09-20-2012, 01:45 PM

Why don't you say "I recently turned up some work for the next three months (true, true!). Why don't I touch base with you [in the winter or before the start of the summer or if my schedule clears again]. I appreciate you thinking of me for contract work."
I like this approach. Definitely do reply, don't have them go to bat for you if you're going to end up turning down any offers.

niccig
09-20-2012, 01:54 PM

No, I don't think any semester will be better for me.

sste
09-20-2012, 01:56 PM
The go with "if my schedule clears again" or something similarly open-ended. And beef up the thanks for their efforts. And send a holiday card. :)

You should be more than good with that.

niccig
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
I like this approach. Definitely do reply, don't have them go to bat for you if you're going to end up turning down any offers.

Thing is, I wouldn't turn it down. Because I asked, I'll feel like I have to do it, and I'll do whatever I need to do, to get it down. Which means, I'll get even less sleep than I currently do - or I need to get much more efficient, which I can make improvements on.

I did think I could do it. I got dumped in the deep end with my clients and still catching up on that. I can hope it falls through all together. I need a reply that sounds like "it's Ok if it doesn't work out. Don't go to bat for me."

sste
09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
You know, maybe a telephone call? This may very well be something where they are searching for extra work to do you a favor and you are getting no sleep to "follow through" for them. And for what?

Why don't you call and say that from when you emailed them six weeks ago your workload unexpectedly changed dramatically - - decisions beyond your control. But you wanted to talk to them about it since you had initially requested the work and you wanted to make sure X hadn't gone through great trouble on your behalf or had an urgent need for help. In which case it is important to you to follow through and you would make it work. And that way you can thank in person for being such a great mentor/professional contact/whatever.