PDA

View Full Version : Sunday afternoon birthday party - yay or nay?

ahisma
09-20-2012, 06:36 PM
I just got invites printed for DS's party today, and got an invite home for a party (whole class) the same day. We were going to do 2-4, this party is 4:30 - 6:30.

WWYD?

Move DS's party to a Sunday? Or, keep it on the same Saturday? We could move it up, maybe to 1-3?

Moving it to another weekend is hard, there are parties every Saturday for the next month!

ETA: Will it be awful if both parties are on the same weekend? (one Sat, one Sun)?

swrc00
09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
I think moving it to Sunday would be fine. A lot of our friends with fall birthday children do it on Sunday, because of college football. I think the previous time would be good to, so it won't conflict with people that go to church. I say go for it!

edurnemk
09-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I think Sunday is OK, we've been invited to a few Sunday bday parties, it's not too common but we've attended all of the Sunday parties. I think I'd prefer that to 2 parties back to back on the same day (in fact we might not attend both parties in that scenario)

AnnieW625
09-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I did DD1's 3rd, 4th, and 5th birthdays on Sunday and it was fine. We have friends who are church goers and they came. I had them in the after noon starting at 3 pm as DD1 was a late napper.

carolinamama
09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I actually prefer Sunday birthday parties. We are so busy on Saturdays with soccer, tee ball, basketball games and college football game in the fall. Sundays are a better day for us to get kids to a party.

nfowife
09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Sunday birthdays are pretty typical around here. Saturdays there are so many sports events that it gets hard to schedule in the fall.

hillview
09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
we are doing a sunday afternoon party 1-230 and we have great RSVP rates.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I think Sunday is OK, we've been invited to a few Sunday bday parties, it's not too common but we've attended all of the Sunday parties. I think I'd prefer that to 2 parties back to back on the same day (in fact we might not attend both parties in that scenario)

:yeahthat: A Sunday party is no prob at all for us. Even if there was a party the day before. But 2 bday parties on the same day? I doubt i'd go to both of them, that would just be too much.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2012, 11:43 PM
We have lots of Sunday parties here. Always Work out.

MontrealMum
09-21-2012, 12:13 AM
I think a Sunday party depends on the kind of crowd you run with. We had DS' recent party on a Sun. and it was fine. But knowing your area and the culture, you risk low attendance or even downright censure. Depends on the neighborhood you live in and the type of people you associate with.

ahisma
09-21-2012, 12:21 AM
I think a Sunday party depends on the kind of crowd you run with. We had DS' recent party on a Sun. and it was fine. But knowing your area and the culture, you risk low attendance or even downright censure. Depends on the neighborhood you live in and the type of people you associate with.

Good point, and definitely a consideration. It's a tough call. We're on the west side of the school district (the area that is part of the urban community but still in district - the liberal part of town). But, I don't really know his classmates this year at all, they've only had 12 days of school. I think you hit the nail on the head though, it's a huge gamble.

Maybe I should poll DH's Calvin alumni friends, LOL!

ett
09-21-2012, 12:24 AM
A Sunday afternoon party would be fine with us.

But, DS1's 6th birthday party was on the same day as a classmate's birthday party, so a lot of the invites were the same kids. They were also a half an hour apart which was just enough time to get from our party to the next one. All the kids attended both parties and it actually worked out really great for us. They were both drop off parties so it definitely wasn't too much for the kids.

We have attended more than one party on the same day and 2 parties on back to back days and they all worked out fine.

MontrealMum
09-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Maybe I should poll DH's Calvin alumni friends, LOL!

Not a bad idea...that's exactly why I mentioned it. Totally not an issue up here in Mtl. when we had DS' b-day, but where you are, certainly something to think about. Most of my friends back home are pretty liberal and would think nothing of being invited to a Sun. party but I really don't know if they're the norm nowadays or not. They would not have been when I was growing up.

blisstwins
09-21-2012, 12:43 AM
I am doing a Sunday party. We are getting better attendance than Saturdays because a lot of families go away on the weekend, but can be back for Sunday afternoon.

klwa
09-21-2012, 06:51 AM
We've got two this weekend, and I don't really know how I'm going to deal with it. And ours are at 10am (about 1/2 hour from home) and 2 pm (about 10 minutes from home). I'd try the Sunday afternoon party.

ZeeBaby
09-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Two parties in one day seems pretty hectic. I would try the Sunday. As long as it is not during church time, it should be ok.

new_mommy25
09-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm holding DS's party this Sunday from 12-3:30. There was a morning slot I declined because of church. So far we only got one no due to church and everyone else replied yes. Saturday was out for us because of soccer.

KpbS
09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
We go to church on Sundays but as long as it's not before 1:30 (2 is best) it will work! If there is a lot of overlap in the invite list I would vote for having your party Sunday instead of Saturday. It's hard to commit to partying all day long, lol.