PDA

View Full Version : multi-tasking substitutes for hand held gaming systems - decision made

rlu
09-20-2012, 06:42 PM
DS informed me yesterday he wants a Nintendo DS as his major xmas present this year. I can't help but think a Nintendo DS is limited to just gaming and isn't there anything under $200 that does more than just play games? I'm willing to do research but don't even know where to start. Do the following have sufficient affordable gaming options to convince DS it is better than a Nintendo?

ipod touch - this is the only one in my price range (and that is really pushing it) is this one good or junk? http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch/select_4thgeneration
kindle fire
nook color
??

Ideally I'd like to get an Ipad but the budget isn't there (IT at work informed me ipad is the best tablet to use in lieu of my laptop given the type of work I do and apps I'd need, that's why I lean towards ipad).

eta: mainly I'd like to read books, email and have games for DS, everything else would be icing.

hillview
10-07-2012, 06:51 PM
yes I personally think they both do. If you want him to read on it, i think the fire is a better choice. the itouch will have more gaming options right now as there are more apps built for the touch.

SnuggleBuggles
10-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I know that you feel the DS is limited- you're right! The iPod Touch or Kindle Fire is far more diverse. However, I don't think you'll succeed in selling him on no DS and one of those instead. The games for the DS that are really popular, like Mario and Pokemon, don't exist on other platforms. They are major draws. I think my ds would prefer a DS over any other device. He has access to my iPhone and does enjoy the games though. But, he and his buddies all gather together and trade Pokemon or play Scribblenauts together on their DS. Sorry!

kristac
10-07-2012, 07:15 PM
I know that you feel the DS is limited- you're right! The iPod Touch or Kindle Fire is far more diverse. However, I don't think you'll succeed in selling him on no DS and one of those instead. The games for the DS that are really popular, like Mario and Pokemon, don't exist on other platforms. They are major draws. I think my ds would prefer a DS over any other device. He has access to my iPhone and does enjoy the games though. But, he and his buddies all gather together and trade Pokemon or play Scribblenauts together on their DS. Sorry!

There is a Scribblenauts on IOS (iTouch) http://itunes.apple.com/app/scribblenauts-remix/id444844790?mt=8

SnuggleBuggles
10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
There is a Scribblenauts on IOS (iTouch) http://itunes.apple.com/app/scribblenauts-remix/id444844790?mt=8

Yeah, but they like synching their games or something like that. :) I don't know what they were doing the other day! We do have it for my iPhone.

wellyes
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I agree with SnuggleBuggles, DS games and the communal play available cannot be found on a tablet (or ipod touch). Maybe a DS and a cheap Kindle?

KrisM
10-07-2012, 08:56 PM

I agree. DS1 loves his DS and has a 3DSXL on his list this year so he can get Super Mario Bros. 2! He uses our tablet often and plays math/logic games there, which is great because there aren't as many educational games on the DS. But, he loves Mario, Pokemon, etc on the DS and would not want to give that up. He also enjoys multi-player games with others on their DS sets too.

ray7694
10-07-2012, 09:43 PM
My ds has a DS and a touch and I would say it is like comparing apples to oranges. If he wants a ds I would get him the ds. My son also has the neighborhood over to synch and catch Pokemon.

Can you get a used one somewhere?

rlu
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I did show DS a nook color and kindle fire and tried to sell them and now he's decided he's going to put both the 3DS (he's upgraded) and a nook on his Santa list and let Santa decide.

You are right, and DH agrees, we need to determine which games DS wants and then see which platforms have those games.

FWIW we have an ancient Atari 2600 boxed up that DH is planning to find and setup for DS to see if that buys us some time (not holding out much hope there but maybe we can start a new retro trend?).

We can't buy both a 3DS and a nook/fire, the budget simply isn't there.

westgre
10-28-2012, 08:09 PM
I've been researching the same thing. I would add a Nexus 7 to your list. It's a 7" Android based tablet. It has more gaming apps available through Google Play than the Fire. And you can always download the Kindle app for it, but your not bound to Amazon so tightly.

rlu
11-15-2012, 04:51 PM
I've been researching the same thing. I would add a Nexus 7 to your list. It's a 7" Android based tablet. It has more gaming apps available through Google Play than the Fire. And you can always download the Kindle app for it, but your not bound to Amazon so tightly.

Sorry I missed your comment earlier. We're trying to keep the base price under $200 as that is crazy expensive compared to what Santa has brought in the past (the $100 bike was the most expensive) but we acknowledge this Santa gift will actually be used by the whole family, not just DS.

We did talk to DS and got a better idea what he's hoping for in terms of specific games and overall experiences. Luckily it appears a wii is coming our way from a third party so most of the games he wants will work on that. I realize this is a tv based gaming system and not handheld (wii U is both tv based and handheld?) but it's free and he will have to learn to not look a gift horse in the mouth. The only non-wii game he mentioned was angry birds which appears to be available for any of the tablets.

After some research it appears our two choices under $200 (barely) are kindle fire hd 16GB and nook tablet 16GB. I have some hesitation at eliminating 8gb as an option since you can add a card for the difference in gb for less than the price upgrade between 8gb and 16gb but DH made that call.

Anyway, that is where we are right now.

I wonder if any b&m stores sell used tablets?

westgre
11-15-2012, 04:57 PM
You could check out the Zeki tablet at KMart on sale for $99 this week. It comes with Amazon App Store and you can load Google Play onto it. I got one, but have only played with it a little. I did load several versions of Angry Birds on it already.

rlu
11-15-2012, 05:06 PM
You could check out the Zeki tablet at KMart on sale for $99 this week. It comes with Amazon App Store and you can load Google Play onto it. I got one, but have only played with it a little. I did load several versions of Angry Birds on it already.

I also saw digix tablets on the radio shack website for under $100 so I do need to do some more research. Thanks for the lead!

our need list :wink2: angry birds, yahoo, ereader function, web browsing (mostly street maps, weather)

eta: no Kmarts within 20 miles of me but zeki is also at Best Buy so I can go see IRL.

vonfirmath
11-15-2012, 06:51 PM

This. My son wants a DS because of the Mario games. There is no Mario on the ipod Touch. So he's got access to an ipod Touch and STILL wants a Ds. (Mom and Dad don't want him having a DS yet so he didn't get one. He got a Leappad and is being "okay" with that for now. But we told him no DS for now. I suspect it will come again but he may be better ready for it then. We'll see)

rlu
11-27-2012, 03:17 PM
We bought a Nook Tablet 16GB for DS. We decided against the kindle as we're not big amazon shoppers (heresy on the BBB but there it is) and against the android tablets due to cost and some complaints they aren't as good as ereaders in terms of clarity and eye fatigue.

I didn't get a terrific deal but I did get a $20 B&N gc back on the purchase which brought the cost for the new one down to the same as the used ones are selling at B&N B&M stores. Free shipping.