PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE #2 anyone have faith in/good experience with craniosacral therapy?

lmh2402
09-20-2012, 07:52 PM
UPDATE 2
she slept 11 hours with only two feedings. i don't know if this is the norm for this age (she'll be 10 weeks on mon), but it's not the norm for us so i'm pretty pleased. nursed at 7:40pm and went right to sleep. woke at 12:05am, 3:40am and then 7:30am.

i actually got her up at 7:30 and brought her downstairs into the bustle of daytime assuming she was ready to get up, but she nursed and passed back out so she's sleeping again.

who knows what it's attributable to. maybe she's just turning a corner. lord, maybe she's fighting something off and extra sleepy (au pair has a cold and i'm paranoid). and/or maybe...just maybe...the CST was actually sort of helpful

UPDATE
let me preface by saying we had a pretty good morning, so her baseline was a lot calmer than it could have been

but i must say i have never seen my child so zen

she laid flat on her back (first of the major miracles), without screaming (second), and with only two small spits (third) for 30 minutes!!! while awake. just staring at this woman and me, and cooing, and looking around the room and watching the light coming through the windows.

it was amazing. literally amazing. i don't imagine it to be such an instantaneous miracle cure, but at the very least she was relaxed.

therapist said she felt a fair amount of tension in her pelvis, some in her belly (but not awful, which surprised me), chest was clear, but the right side of her neck, her right shoulder and all down her right arm were extremely tight.

will try again next wed and keeping fingers crossed that maybe we will see a bit of release and help from it.

---------------------------------------------------
title says it all? would love feedback

thanks

KLD313
09-20-2012, 08:53 PM
I did something similar with DD when she was six weeks old. She screamed every night up until taking her to the chiropractor, it was a huge turning point as from that night on she slept through the night. I say whatever works is worth a shot.

wendmatt
09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Is this the same as a cranial osteopath? I took DD to one when she was 18mths (in UK) b/c she was not speaking and had a few issues. I'm not sure if it helped, but she seemed to like it. It wasn't a miracle cure but not long later she started to say a few words.

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2012, 09:13 PM
I didn't do it but a friend did after I recommended it to her as an option. Her baby fell right into line after that. How's your baby girl doing? Did you end up finding a formula that she could tolerate?

Simon
09-21-2012, 06:18 AM
For us it was a mixed bag. It helped my Mom a lot (she has severe balance issues) and she insisted we try with Ds1 who had terrible reflux and so many issues. The experience for my Mom was incredible and she/we noticed a difference after every session but with Ds1 it didn't help him at all. In hindsight, I wish we had tried a chiropractor instead of CST.

knaidel
09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
3-4 sessions of CST over a few weeks, plus cutting out dairy, emptied out my son's ears of fluid that was just sitting there....saved us a trip to the ENT for a tube consultation!

lmh2402
09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
hmm...interesting on all fronts - thanks guys!

wendmatt, yes i think it's the same thing

WTG - we're doing ok. i still haven't switched really to formula. :bag

i know that probably sounds crazy and like i'm a glutten for punishment, but we keep having these intermittent really good days that give me hope and make me think i've worked it all out.

but we did try the alimentum RTF and it was lightyears of a better reaction than what happened when we tried the nutramigen powder

so i've got that here and we've given it a few times as back up - like after a particularly brutal night DH gave her a bottle last weekend so i could actually get a block of sleep without worrying about pumping.

thanks for asking!

AnnieW625
09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I never thought to do it with DD2, but if she had as many reactions to things as your DD has had I probably would have done it in a heartbeat and sometimes I am skeptical of chiropractors.

With DD2 we had better days where she wouldn't get cranky after she ate or she'd actually sleep for an hour, and she'd just spit up and I would consider that a good day. It was mighty frusterating, but she eventually outgrew it.

Good for you for using the formula as needed, that is what we did with DD2 and it helped out a ton as well. If she eventually ends up getting better I highly recommend Similac Sensitive if it turns out you don't need the Alimentum later on down the road.

smilequeen
09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
I am skeptical, but we tried it with DS3. I don't think it helped but it didn't hurt. It felt very gentle and safe and I think it was worth the try for sure.

urquie
09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure if it really helped me, but it sure felt good! :)

lmh2402
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
bump for update

sntm
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
You know, I had it once during a massage just to try it out, and I did feel something. I tend to be a pretty rational person (but also rather suggestible/gullible according to DSO!) so I don't have a good explanation, but I did just feel different, floaty, relaxed. After your experience, I may try this with DS2!

mctlaw
09-21-2012, 05:51 PM
That's great! I hope this gives your sweet DD (and you!) some relief.

WatchingThemGrow
09-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Holy cow. That description sounds makes it sound like something I want to have done on ME!

hillview
09-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Holy cow. That description sounds makes it sound like something I want to have done on ME!

:yeahthat:x100 MAN! Awesome.

wendmatt
09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
That's great. DD got all dreamy when she had hers too, I hope it works for you

hellokitty
09-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow, that's awesome that it has been so positive!

123LuckyMom
09-22-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm a huge believer in CranioSacral after having it be nearly a miracle cure for me after I was severely injured by a chiropractor (so I don't recommend chiropractic at all)! I've taken both DS and DD. With DS it cured his sleeping issues, but not his reflux, so I think it's time to take DD for sleep issues, too! I'm so glad it's helping! I suggest it to everyone! Most recently my friend suffering terribly from a concussion said it was like a miracle for him. I have a friend whose child was diagnosed autistic. After a few (I think nearly three) years of consistent therapy, he's no longer autistic. She attributes his progress to CranioSacral. I'm skeptical, but in the can't-hurt-might-help view, I'm all for trying it. It works for so many issues. It might indeed work for autism, too.

Melbel
09-22-2012, 07:00 AM

:yeahthat: I am so happy that you may have a path toward relief. Cranialsacral therapy is frequently touted in the Lyme community but I have yet to try it.

lmh2402
09-22-2012, 09:07 AM
bump for update 2

pinkmomagain
09-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Read your update. Yay for you! and your dd! Hope the trend continues!!!!

marymoo86
09-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Yay! Great update. Good job little one - keep it up!!

JustMe
09-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Glad to here you had/are having such a good experience! I did not see this in time to respond before, but just wanted to say we had a similar experience with dd and craniosacral.

Among other things, dd is anxious and had extreme separation anxiety. We had about 3 sessions. Something significantly positive happened after each session. I can't remember the first one, but a few days after the second one we were driving home from a day trip with an adult family friend when dd suddendly asked if she could spend the night at our friend's house. Dd has spent the night at her house before, but only when she had to (like I had an out of town work training or something) and there was lots of protest and post-unhappiness. Anyway, she spent the night at the friend's house and I waited for her frantic phone call early the next morning. It did not happen. I called in the very late morning and dd asked if she could spend the day there. She spent the day, and I waited for the meltdowns when she returned home but they did not happen.

The 3rd and last time she went, dd actually fell asleep on the table. Then when putting her to bed at home that night, she started sobbing and saying she had a terrible dream (she had not been sleeping right then). Anyway, it involved being sepated from me--she sobbed for about 2 hours, there were many details, and she insisted I call my sister and some adult friends to tell them about it (she is normally a very private person). She eventually calmed down. There has been improvement ever since. The practioner said we did not need to come back except maybe in a year for a check up, etc. It has been about 16 months, and I have gotten the feeling we need to go back but it is hard to get in with him. I am going to keep trying now.

One thing I did not like is that, at least with the practioner I went to, there was a lot of intuition involved; which would have been fine, except when there were negative reactions he did not know if he caused them or how to fix them. For example, it was shortly after one of these sessions that dd started reversing letters and word sequences, which she had not done before. I asked him if it could be related and he simply said he did not know. He actually said something like "yeah, I could have crossed her meridians or maybe she needed to have that kind of regresson". I now lean heavily toward thinking this had nothing to do with his services (and sure hope so), but the timing was odd. Dd was at the end of 1st grade at the time, btw. It was part of what made me relieved when he said we were done. However, about 16 months later, I can't deny that dd has a signficant amount of emotional improvement that coincided with his treatments, and the academic stuff was emerging and about her difficulty integrating lots of info at one time.

khm
09-22-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm so happy for the relief you must be feeling to get even that bit of a break!!

I don't do chiro as I just don't have a need, and I'm honestly a bit hinky about it for some reason, but we have a friend who is a chiro and he's witnessed an infant being helped with it.

He doesn't do infants himself, but was studying under a woman who specializes. A mom was in with a tiny baby that hadn't slept more than an hour or so at a time. Ever. Poor thing always just cried. Did all the reflux stuff, to no avail. Finally, they ended up in her office and the chiro said half of her was noticeably tighter than the other half, probably just how she was in the womb or something got pulled/out of alignment at birth. She held her upside down by her ankles and her body had a definite twist. She adjusted her and the baby whimpered and promptly fell asleep. The mom burst into tears. Our friend asked her if she was ok, what is wrong, the baby wasn't hurt, was she worried?? Poor mom just was stunned at the SILENCE. She was so very tired. I don't know what the long term outcome was, but it certainly had a good start.

essnce629
09-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Wow, this makes me want to take DS2 who's THREE YEARS old and has been a terrible sleeper since he was 4 months. He just started sleeping through the night a few WEEKS ago!!!

I'm so happy for you! When's her next appointment?

theriviera
09-22-2012, 07:31 PM
It makes me so happy to read this news! I hope you continue to see results.