PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Party invite question.

blisstwins
09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
So we are doing a big party for my twins' 8th birthday. It will probably be the last whole class party, and I have family, etc. We rented a private party room and are taking everyone to the circus--not cheap.

So there is a child in my kids' class who has a complicated situation. Her grandmother takes her everywhere, attends all school events, etc. Her younger brother goes to public school (this is a Catholic school). Money is definitely an issue. I know the brother did Head Start.

Last year I invited the class to a party and had limited space. The grandmother asked if she could bring the younger brother, I said space was a issue, which it was. When the numbers came in lower than I thought, I let her know that it would be OK for the child to come. She never answered me back and the girl did not come.

She does not go to any of the parties.

This party is drop off, though I did invite the moms I am friends with to stay if they would like. A couple are. This child, and a few others, have not even viewed the on-line invitation. So I was planning to send hard copies tomorrow.

Do I include her brother and ask tell the grandmother she can join us to increase the chances this kid can come? Do I just send the regular invitation and see what happens? Inviting the brother and grandmother adds a good $70 to the party--we can afford it, but I don't really want to spend $70 for this.

Still, I feel like it is a chance to do good. The girl is not connected to her classmates and rarely socializes outside of school.

WWYD in this case?

hillview
09-20-2012, 08:11 PM
I'd call or email the grandmother and make an extra effort to see how the girl could attend (with brother/grandmother or with you or another parent driving etc).

TwinFoxes
09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd take the opportunity to show kindness to the child and invite them all. :) I think that's what you want to do too.

ett
09-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd call or email the grandmother and make an extra effort to see how the girl could attend (with brother/grandmother or with you or another parent driving etc).

:yeahthat:

Green_Tea
09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd take the opportunity to show kindness to the child and invite them all. :) I think that's what you want to do too.

:yeahthat:

I bet she and her grandmother would never forget it.

boilermakermom
09-20-2012, 10:04 PM

I would hope others would show kindness to my child, so I would make the extra effort to make them feel included and welcome.

Mopey
09-20-2012, 11:24 PM

:yeahthat:I'm sure if it all works out she would feel so good to be included - let alone her little brother et al. It's lovely of your family to reach out - best kind of generosity imho.

:)

blisstwins
09-21-2012, 12:35 AM
OK-I did it. I emailed the grandmother and told her they are all invited and hope they can make it. It did feel nice to offer before she asked. I hesitated because it is not inexpensive and my children are not really friends with this girl, but I think part of why this child has so few friends is that she never socializes with the class. I have never even seen her parents. The grandmother does it all. I just hope they don't say yes and then no show (no refunds) because they have canceled playdates with us at the last minute before. Oye. My last interaction with the little girl was when I was on lunch duty and they had a cupcake sale. The dopes doing the cupcake sale let her buy 3 at once and took ALL her money. I told her she could not eat 3 cupcakes instead of lunch and made the cupcake sales lady refund her two dollars. I get so mad...but now I am rambling.