PDA

View Full Version : Buckwheat honey?

twowhat?
09-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Our ped recommended using it for coughs. He says it's dark (like molasses) and much stronger in flavor than regular honey and some kids don't like the taste so you can buy cough syrup that uses it as the active ingredient but flavors it (grape flavored) but that if they will tolerate the taste, we can just get it at WF.

Anyone use this with success? My ped keeps surprising me with his little tidbits of crunchiness.

katydid1971
09-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I use it myself. Its is very strong flavored. My kids wouldn't take it. I didn't know about the cough syrup that is buckwheat honey with grape. Do you know the brand?

twowhat?
09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
I use it myself. Its is very strong flavored. My kids wouldn't take it. I didn't know about the cough syrup that is buckwheat honey with grape. Do you know the brand?

Zarbee's All-Natural Childrens' Cough Syrup. The girls sucked down the samples he gave us so it must have tasted good.

Does buckwheat honey work for you?

katydid1971
09-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Zarbee's All-Natural Childrens' Cough Syrup. The girls sucked down the samples he gave us so it must have tasted good.

Does buckwheat honey work for you?
It helps sooth the rough feeling but it really doesn't stop the cough like the Rx kind can. I try and only take the other stuff if it gets really bad.

tmahanes
09-21-2012, 08:03 AM
B has reactive airway disease and when he really starts coughing this is what we use. My DCPs were amazed with how well it works for him.

He likes the taste. His lungs have been doing great and we haven't use it in a while and B will sometimes fake cough and say he needs honey! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR

marymoo86
09-21-2012, 08:47 AM
That is consistent with what I have read as well about buckwheat honey.

peanut520
09-21-2012, 10:01 AM
We use it but have mixed results. Dd had that really awful cold that caused her to go into coughing fits all night long. We've has better luck mixing it with warm water (honey water) and having her drink it like tea to calm the fits.