PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a game to "teach" money?

sewarsh
09-20-2012, 11:23 PM
DD is 6 and starting to show big interest in money and of course, they are in the begginging stages of learning about it in 1st grade.

Any fun games anyone can suggest to help teach counting money and using it properly (saving, spending, etc)?

Thx.

mom_hanna
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Monopoly Jr.? or Life. But beware, Life is a LONG game. we have yet to make it to the end of the game using all the rules. We usually simplify it to shorten it. My dc are 5 and 7 and they have a lot of fun with these. My dd is a killer monopoly player at 7!

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Payday?

jerigirl
09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
We don't have it yet but it seems Learning Resources Money Bags is popular.
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Money-Bags-Value/dp/B00004TDTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1348199148&sr=1-1&keywords=money+bags

ciw
09-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Learning Resources Money Bags A Coin Value Game

No experience with it but I've heard good things. It may go one DS's Christmas list.

ETA: Looks like JeriGirl beat me to it!

sariana
09-20-2012, 11:57 PM
What about a toy cash register and play money? We have bills and coins that look very much like the real thing. "Playing store" is a great way to learn about money and how it works. You can start and stop at any time (unlike a board game), and any number of people can play. You can make your own rules, and kids tend to love "realia."

citymama
09-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Monopoly! My 6 yr old is really into it. Just make sure to get the original with play cash and not the newer electronic kind.

abh5e8
09-21-2012, 12:18 AM
nah....no toy money or games around here. dd (5) and ds (3) earn money by selling sticks to their nana and taking neighbors cans to the recycling center. also selling things in a garage sale. they buy things at the farmers market and garage sales and love to look at catalogs. i think you can learn plenty with actual money! they also count and recount and re re count their money, and buy/sell back and forth between them.

(well, we do have monopoly jr!)

abh5e8
09-21-2012, 12:19 AM
eta: they each have a net worth of about $10, but surprisingly, in coins and small bills, that provides for many hours of learning and fun

baymom
09-21-2012, 01:45 AM
My parents gave the kids a game called 'Allowence' that they love. It's been great practice for making change, counting coins and bills.

AngelaS
09-21-2012, 07:18 AM
This is a fun game for learning the value of coins, if that's what your goal is. I saw it on pinterest and my youngest has been having fun with it.

http://www.montessoritidbits.com/2012/09/exchange-coins-montessori-lesson.html

writermama
09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Toy cash register and play money for games of store and restaurant.

There's also a card game, played like UNO, called Exact Change.

http://www.amazon.com/Continuum-Games-Inc-0903-Change/dp/B003LPV5N2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348236693&sr=8-2&keywords=exact+change

Looks like they have a new edition as well,
http://www.amazon.com/Continuum-Games-Inc-0902-Edition/dp/B0036PYDOU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_1

sidmand
09-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Monopoly! My 6 yr old is really into it. Just make sure to get the original with play cash and not the newer electronic kind.

All of sudden my 7 year old is obsessed with Monopoly. And we have Star Wars, Boston, and regular so we get quite a variety. I didn't know about the ATM-type one until someone told me. I figure at least he's getting good with counting the money (adding, subtracting, sometimes doubling). The electronic one would take all the educational value out of it!

But he didn't "get" the regular Monopoly until recently and may be a bit too tricky for a lot of 6 year olds? Not sure. Maybe he was just behind!

fauve01
09-21-2012, 12:32 PM
nah....no toy money or games around here. dd (5) and ds (3) earn money by selling sticks to their nana and taking neighbors cans to the recycling center. also selling things in a garage sale. they buy things at the farmers market and garage sales and love to look at catalogs. i think you can learn plenty with actual money! they also count and recount and re re count their money, and buy/sell back and forth between them.

(well, we do have monopoly jr!)

:yeahthat: DD has been getting an allowance for a while, and LOVES to count it. i also sometimes let her count and arrange the money in my wallet.

Something that has also been great for money practice has been when we go to target, sometimes after we stop and get a pizza (her fav). i let DD do the ordering and paying for it. we started with her ordering/paying with me right behind her, but lately since the food is right across from the registers, i let dd go over and do the pizza buying on her own. she feels very grown up and proud of herself for doing it. I would encourage you to find somewhere your DC could buy themselves something small for cash (like a cold drink at starbucks or mcdonalds or something) to practice when they get a bit older.

we have different monopoly games and play those too, but counting/practicing with real money has been better practice.

roseyloxs
09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
DS was just asking about money the other day. I told him we earn money by selling a service or product to others. He offered to clean up his toys for money which started the whole conversation about responsibilities as a member of a family. I told him I would talk to his dad though and we could find a job outside his normal responsibilities where he could earn some money. An hour later he thought up a job all on his own. Killing flies!

We don't have screens here so we have an annoying number of house flies and DS is actually really good with the fly swatter. He gets 10 cents for every fly. He has been keeping his earnings in a small jar (an old spice jar). Ice cream here is only 80cents and he so proud when he gets to bring his money in and buy himself an ice cream cone. We help him count out the money. This is very new as in just started this week so he doesn't have it down yet but I am confident this is a great way for him to learn about how money works.

I haven't played monopoly jr but I am sure its a good one. I might substitute the play money for real money though if possible. Maybe even change the amounts on the cards so you could use coins too.