PDA

View Full Version : Extended stay

Sweetum
09-21-2012, 01:57 AM
I am looking for a 2 week accommodation in Los Angeles. I am currently looking at vrbo and extended stay America. I am hoping to get something for $110 to $120 for 4 people. Is that a reasonable expectation for downtown LA? Any ther ideas? What us the best way to go about it? I have not done this before....help?

Aishe
09-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Unless you hit on a stellar deal, I think that price range is probably too low for downtown LA. Do you have to be downtown? Can you extend your search to other areas?

hwin708
09-21-2012, 02:56 AM
I would also check out airbnb.com

ha98ed14
09-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Not sure if you need to be downtown for work, but there is not much in downtown for tourists/vacationers. If you want downtown to be easily accessible, I would look at staying some place directly on the Metro line. That will be cheaper than stating in downtown. I have a train station in my city and can be at Union Stn in 30 mins. There are lots of cities on the same train line closer in.

AnnieW625
09-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Not sure if you need to be downtown for work, but there is not much in downtown for tourists/vacationers. If you want downtown to be easily accessible, I would look at staying some place directly on the Metro line. That will be cheaper than stating in downtown. I have a train station in my city and can be at Union Stn in 30 mins. There are lots of cities on the same train line closer in.

:yeahthat: you might be able to find something in downtown Long Beach for that price, maybe $200 a night. There is a metro blue line station in Downtown Long Beach that takes you to the 7th St (I think, can't remember) station where you can catch other Metro lines as well.

This rental (http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p258119) is in a good area for downtown Long Beach. Close to lots of restaurants either by walking or biking or by car. Street parking shouldn't be a huge problem if you will have a car. About a 10 minute bike ride south to the trendy and very popular Belmont Shore area. Less than a 10 minute walk to Bluff Park, and Ocean Blvd. It is maybe a 10 minute walk to the metro blue line, but that is easier than finding a place to park (although I don't think the Albertson's market has time limits on their parking lots and there is some non metered street parking on surrounding streets).

If I were to stay in Los Angeles I would want to stay in the Fairfax, West Hollywood, or Hollywood area, which would connect to the downtown area by bus and or the Metro Red Line. There is actually a lot on HomeAway.com for that area in 1 bedroom places.
http://www.homeaway.com/search/refined/keywords:+Los+Angeles%2C+CA+/Bedrooms:1/maxPrice/750#sp=634

urquie
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Tripadvisor has a vacation rentals section...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g32655-Reviews-Los_Angeles_California-Vacation_Rentals.html

Sweetum
09-23-2012, 10:50 PM
thank you for the advice. My brother has work in downtown LA and will need to be go to work there for 2 weeks. I agree that downtown is not such a great place, but I was not sure how else he would get to work since he won't have a car. Could you all point me to more metroline areas and the metroline website to figure out how long it would be? and is the metroline safe? he'll probably be at work every morning at 8 or 8:30am and wrap up by 6pm. ok times? and how about only bus? what areas again? I know you already provided some, asking in case you were only giving a sample. I'll also check out the links, thanks.

mom2binsd
09-24-2012, 02:37 AM
I guess you need to figure out how everyone will sleep, is your brother going to sleep in the same room as you and your DS? Some of those super cute rentals would be ideal if you can find one with a at least two bedrooms.

Another idea, check those extended stay hotels, they have kitchens and two bed suites, but maybe more than you are looking to spend.

Have your brother ask the company if they have a hotel that others use, often a company will have a deal with a hotel nearby.

Will you have a car, as LA is pretty hard to enjoy without one (I'm assuming you get to do fun tourist things during the day while your brother is working).

dhano923
09-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Won't the company he works for provide accommodations and a car and meal allowance? Downtown LA is a fun area but you wont find accommodations that cheap there. Even in the suburbs, the Extended Stay suites are 120 or so without tax. I had booked them for my sister in law when she came to visit with her sister and kids a few months ago. Downtown is expensive - think JW Marriott and the Ritz. We did a girls weekend and stayed at the JW Mariott and it was $280/night for a regular room.

LA is very spread out. You really need to rent a car unless you don't plan on leaving your immediate area. Downtown is full of lofts, restaurants, hotels and offices. There's nothing for kids to do. DH and I were just there tonight for dinner and it's fun for adults our age, but unles you plan on going to LA Liver every night and eating at trendy restaurants, I'd look in another area, and rent a car.